Search the forum,
  • Thread starter lame plumber
  • Start date
  • Replies 12
  • Views 2K

Discuss would you do this? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
L

lame plumber

got a call to fit a tiger loop to a 8-10 year old wb boiler. Arrived, boiler working ok and has been for the whole of its life until, watsons last filled the tank and it started to lock out intermittently. So as the old lass is on their maintenance plan, they have been out swapping parts several times and on last call the techie stated the oil line is sucking in air stick a tiger loop on it! So muggins got a call and had a look, top entry tank and the connectors been hit as loads of heldite been added recently, all the visible joints look good, filter certainly hasnt been touched in years! Boiler was fine when I was there and so i showed the lass how to work her timer, put new batteries in her room stat which wasnt working and explained how it should run. Noted the supply line should have been 6mm due to suction heights and length but its been fine for 10 years. Main issue in fitting a tiger loop was it was a mobile home, surrounded underneath with bricks so no access, hence why watsons ran off! and boiler in centre of home so no access for piping at all.

So off i went advising her son in law to get watsons to find the intermittant fault and resolve it. ok the tiger loop should have been fitted initially, but its been fine till their boy battered the fill point and oil line exit. My thoughts are a failing pump solenoid dropping out or the suction line in the tank has come loose, but the old dear is already paying for maintenance and shouldnt be having to cough twice. As for fitting a tiger loop to repair a leaky oil line, anyone else ever do this?

to cap it, 2 hours after i left it locked out, been running ok for a week!

any thoughts

I guess fitting a tigerloop would mean only one oil pipe & not as likely to leak. Other than that you would think that it should have been sorted what's actually wrong. I had one where the seal on the oil filter was letting in air.
I assume it's an electro oil burner? Solenoid, control box, transformer, motor capacitor, photocell, in that sort of order. Wonder what the guys replaced?

Last edited:
That's where a second hand similar burner with oil pump set for 2 pipe operation would have found out if there was a burner fault.

Reminds me. Pulled a leaking boiler out yesterday. Must go whip the burner off.

I guess fitting a tigerloop would mean only one oil pipe & not as likely to leak. Other than that you would think that it should have been sorted what's actually wrong. I had one where the seal on the oil filter was letting in air.
I assume it's an electro oil burner? Solenoid, control box, transformer, motor capacitor, photocell, in that sort of order. Wonder what the guys replaced?

it has only one pipe now, no tiger loop on system, he only advised fitting one to cure/resolve problem of an air leak into pipework!

That's bad service. And I've seen watsons prices online somewhere!

cheap arent they :), i based my fees on them minus a bit when I started on oil. customers liked the cheap rates :)

Now this sounds like a time when you should be checking the vaccuum.....except I never have done. Must get my head round that. Checking that apparently should show up if you have an air issue.

Now this sounds like a time when you should be checking the vaccuum.....except I never have done. Must get my head round that. Checking that apparently should show up if you have an air issue.

I did think of that one bunker, cept the old girl has got a maintenance contract and I didnt want her paying twice for something they should already have done!!
I did see a valve on the oil line by the tank, look like a non return or anti syphon device, wondered if that had jammed, but couldnt reach it as the tank was surrounded in asbestos boarding!! as it was so close to the mobile homes all round!

i dont do oil,but had a old,diesel sherpa a few years back,diesel is not that dissimilar to oil ,it would cut out and refuse to restart but it was intermittent,driving me mad,sevral garages could not fix it ,i knew it was pulling in air somewhere,i spent a long,tedious weekend pulling the fuel system to bits,i found the leak,a tiny leak under the van on a joint,it was so small it would be easy to miss,only clue was the perfect chassis looked a different colour in this spot ,joint was dry though,repaired it,problem solved van ran perfectly from there in

Last edited by a moderator:
i dont do oil,but had a old,diesel sherpa a few years back,diesel is not that dissimilar to oil ,it would cut out and refuse to restart but it was intermittent,driving me mad,sevral garages could not fix it ,i knew it was pulling in air somewhere,i spent a long,tedious weekend pulling the fuel system to bits,i found the leak,a tiny leak under the van on a joint,it was so small it would be easy to miss,only clue was the perfect chassis looked a different colour in this spot ,joint was dry though,repaired it,problem solved van ran perfectly from there in

The old faithful sherpa Mark, when i was serving my time we had one, seems a lifetime ago,

you found and repaired the leak, seems watsons just stick an air extractor on to solve the problem, or rather they dont and bugger off expecting someone else to try and get it done where there is no access!! so my advice was to get them back out or cancel the contract and spend the money on someone else.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to would you do this? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

C
Hi all, all new to this breakdown life, currently waiting on getting on a training course, so just been relying on technical and instructions since I passed my oftec. The current boiler is a two pipe line off a tiger loop. I went to a Grant vortex boiler last week where the boiler went into...
Replies
Views
CJAY40
C
Recently I needed to re-route very old and dodgy oil pipe from tank to boiler. I dug trench and laid a duct and the engineer used green plastic (Pipelife Qual-Oil?) oil line to do the job. Had cause to have boiler manufacturer out to look at something yesterday and he remarked that this Qual oil...
Replies
Views
I'm attending a wet underfloor heating system, it's an old one ..No flow meters, just adjustable valves on the returns with conventional actuators. Problem is , one loop (far right in photo) isn't heating the floor (timber suspended) . I've bled the loop via a hosepipe, shut off all the other...
Replies
Views
I'm looking for some advice on a frustrating problem I'm having with my old Eurostar 50-60s oil boiler please? Although it's old, most parts needed to operate it are now new. The symptoms indicated a broken/seized burner motor or oil pump. I wrongly assumed the motor so I ordered a new one only...
Replies
Views
Hi I've been to a customer today that has a 9 year old baxi duo tec40kw boiler,it runs 20 radiator that all work fine,they have 2 bathrooms and 1 electric shower and again have no issues with hot water.Over the last 4 years baxi have repaired the boiler on 8 occasions, with faults on gas valve...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock