Search the forum,

Discuss Worried. Nearly qualified but badly managed apprenticeship how can I get help and experience. Who w in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

Big Dave

Coming upto successfully completing my level 2 plumbing. However my apprenticeship has been very bad offering me hardly any practical experience, masses of paperwork as company has to do checks or it is fined. Hours driving instead of learning. Zero practice at basic installation. Fallen behind my classmates in terms of practical work even though I'll qualify. What can I do to get alternative employment and experience to get me up to scratch? Any advice welcome.

Hi and welcome to the forum!
In my experience very few apprentices are lucky enough to be taught. Apprenticeships are more of a tradition than a proper way to train up the next generation of tradespeople. I have no idea how they expect us solo guys to do the task because big businesses take on so few its laughable.

I have changed my employer after level 2 and it helped me alot. So I would advise you to find someone else to work with. You can change employers as many times as you like just make sure you enrol on level 3 with this employer first then you have plenty of time to find another for the portfolio. Just dont go round telling people you left because not every college will let you stay on the course while you find another boss.

Good luck!

From an employer's perspective it's a tricky one. With domestic plumbing not being such a good earner these days and minimum wage rising each year it's becoming more difficult to make apprenticeships work within a small plumbing business.

That said Dave, none of that is your fault. Your best option will be to finish your Level 2 course and then look at moving. That way you will be worth more to a new employer as you've already completed the first qualification.

There's a small amount of paperwork in the job but you shouldn't be doing that on an apprenticeship really.

Coming upto successfully completing my level 2 plumbing. However my apprenticeship has been very bad offering me hardly any practical experience, masses of paperwork as company has to do checks or it is fined. Hours driving instead of learning. Zero practice at basic installation. Fallen behind my classmates in terms of practical work even though I'll qualify. What can I do to get alternative employment and experience to get me up to scratch? Any advice welcome.
Have you thought about putting your plight out on twitter with the area that you live in? By the sounds of it you are crying out to be a professional trades person and by coming on this forum with your dilemma you obviously care. Best of luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Worried. Nearly qualified but badly managed apprenticeship how can I get help and experience. Who w in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Our kitchen mixer tap has started dripping. Like so much of the plumbing in our almost new build bungalow, it is lacking! The plumber didn't install any isolating cocks in the H&C feed to the tap so how can I identify which of the valves is passing? Shut the whole H&C water system down?
Replies
Views
The fittings below are for a mixer bar attached to a self contained shower. i.e not a wall. The attaching screws have snapped. I could get two new brackets, dismantle that existing one and start again or I could try and re attach via those screws, removing the broken ones from the plate and wall...
Replies
Views
Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended floor. Pic 1 is inside porch, pex temporarily clipped to give an idea of pipe placement (ignore shoddy blockwork of booted cowboy builder!), Pic 2 is...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock