Search the forum,

Discuss Working with other trades in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

plumb_know

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Have a job coming up where customer has converted bungalo into 2 stories and now wants all first fix put in so floor can go down. At the moment the building is a skeleton. I have never done plumbing in essentially a new build and was wondering how's best to 1st fix rad tails so they remain straight when floor is laid and walls fitted. I would normally hang rads then pipe up to them.

Would like to know how others approach this type of work to ensure everything is still in the correct positions and straight when I return to 2nd fix?

Thanks

Sounds like a job i was on where two Kosovan £20 a day meatheads plasterboarded over all my work before I'd finished.

Gaurd your work 24/7 don't let anyone near it.

On the first floor builders usually put the floors down before they board the ground floor ceiling.
I sometimes bring rad tails out of the wall if I don't know the finish off the walls, that way the floors and ceilings can be done. Make sure you centres are right and fixed well to stop the builders kicking the tails.

I try not to quote for this sort of work & just do it on hourly rate. The number of times builders have assured me that floorboards will be loose....and when I get there t&g chipboard screwed down! As above, always cap your pipework & pressure test - make sure builder witnesses pressure test. If walls aren't plastered when you bring tails up through floor, then let builder know that tails might not be 100% vertical.

if its quality work i use munsen rings to hold pipework in place then screw the studding out just means decorator has to fill

Notched joists and straight lengths of pipework before flooring. Then tails and pipework through studwork once flooring and studwork in place. Plasterboard to ceiling will have to wait. Never trust a chippy, if pipes don't rotate after flooring they're probably nailed.

theres a few ways to do it depending on whats happening, sounds like I would want to get all rad pipes to where the rads are going and speak with the chippy to make sure he leaves traps in them locations , then hang and pipe the rads at a later date once all the walls are ready even if you need to remove the rads for decorating just make sure both valves are capped off..

Whichever way you go with always pressure test and leave pipe work pressurised
If any one puts a nail through a pipe with 8/10 bar in, they wont be able to keep it secret
The above saved me a lot of bother a couple yrs ago, left a new build 1st fixed and pressurised to around 10 bar and when the scroats tried to cut the plastic to take the copper tails, they got a soaking and pressumed it was all live so left it
All I had to replace was a short length of 22mm hep and a 90

Thanks for your advice everyone, I will leave it pressurised and let the customer see it once leaving site from 1st fix. I will see if chippy will leave access to rad areas other wise I will have to use plastic coming out of walls centre to rad like in most new builds I guess.

If I was to use Munson rings I guess I would need to confirm with builders finished thickness of walls when plastered as wouldn't leave any room for error? Don't want wonky tap tails :)

Appreciate all the advise

Sorry Steve misread message so you use Munson ring above floor level to stud then chippy cuts groove out where tails are? Have I understood that right?

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Working with other trades in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi Everyone, Thanks in advance for your advice... As the title mentions, my issue is with the water pipes of the house causing the floor to vibrate. I have singled out the issue to the joists that the floorboards sit on carrying the vibrations throughout the house. We do not have hot water...
Replies
Views
Hello there, Relatively recently we had a new en-suite fitted (complete rip out of the old fittings, and old wall tiles and floor carpet). This consisted of a quadrant shower enclosure, a stone-resin shower tray, new ceramic tiles on the floor and half tiling on the walls. All the work...
Replies
Views
My sister bought a new build property which has wall hung toilets, NK by Noke Porcelona The pans are all moving enough for the silicone sealant to fail across the top of the pan and if you put a bit of weight on it it opens up by about 5mm. They've been in use (light use 4 toilets in a holiday...
Replies
Views
Can anyone tell me where I can get a walk in shower enclosure glass wall channel with about 50mm - 60mm of adjustment in it? I hired a bathroom fitting company to gut and replace 4 bathrooms in a block of holiday flats. In one of the bathrooms they missed an extremely out of plumb wall. Their...
Replies
Views
Hi I need some advice as this has been ongoing since august and nobody can find a problem but meantime water is damaging my walls. The lady upstairs had a plumber in July who relocated her washbasin shower and fitted a new radiator.He caused a bad leak and came to fix it in august and I thought...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock