Search the forum,

Discuss Working Pressure versus Operation Pressure in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

storeyn

Can anyone confirm if working pressure is the same as operating pressure, I am currently completing my level 3 c&g certificate and this question is causing some confusion. The landlords safety check form states opertating pressure or kw which would suggest its the burner pressure, would be grateful if anyone can claify.:) Thanks in advance for your help

two types; standing & operating pressure done at meter to confirm regulator is ok
Inlet pressure only really done at appliance to confirm adequate supply to appliance and burner pressure (operating) done with gas rate

Thats funny every BG Engineer who has serviced (Sorry not serviced, safe checked) my boiler over the last few years have never completed a TT, burner pressure or Gas Rate. they have all done a FGA Test, probably checked seals and thats it. I know this as they have never asked to see the gas meter, which is under the stairs and has 2 semi rigid connections one on the inlet and another on the outlet, which i believe is NCS. I did ask the BG guy why did he not check the burner pressure. He stated, "If it wasn't burning right the FGA test would state this and the burner pressure test cannot check the integrity of the burner injectors. He said the FGA is used to save time on gas rates and burner presures on boilers.

Whats your opinion?

BG do their own thing to their own rules. None of them actually contravene any gas regs but they could do better.
That is big business for you.

What about the bg who never replaces gasket and no tightness test

They do contravene , if you read servicing mfi there is a narrative C/o figure and below that they must strip down and clean boiler , not that they even take there jacket off or Finnish there tea. When the statement from hse to gas safe says you shall that means you must , I have been out to a boiler in jan it was service contract eta was 9 days after a christmas service and that was labled a/r .

So whats the norm. Just do an FGA on a boiler or FGA, Burner Pressure & Gas Rate? I prefer the latter. I know half of E'ON just check seals and do a burner pressure/gas rate, the majority are not even CPA1. Do people bother to do all?

Don't GSIUR say that you have to check burner pressure and/or gas rate every time you work on an appliance? Plus safety devices, flue and air supply?

BG state either burner pressure or gas rate (which even one applies) and combustion analysis plus fsd's etc etc. No need to do a tightness test on a boiler service unless a customer complains of a smell of gas.

I was told to do burner pressure and gas rate if possible, which I do for the sake of 2 minutes, which found me a DFE last year that had the wrong injector in since new. Burner pressure was fine, but was using twice the gas it should have. Also have group round here that do safety checks for council, take 10 mins including phone call (mother in law tells me), no tightness test, no FGA, no BP.

Tightness test , bp, gr , always conducted helps keep people safe poss 15-22 extra pa . Also covers your bum if anyone professional looks at your job then all of a sudden they are no better than you .. When I have my inspection I like the inspector to chew his nails and look nervous and for it not to be the other way round...

Gsiur is what you get hit with in court by hse. You attend training and assessment so you prove hse guidelines that you are competent to source the relevant information required for each set scenario ie dfe o/ f boiler and large extractor in adjacent room . Then they have proof your competent then the barrister hits you with manslaughter . Now there is food for thought or for all the newbies working on gas. Listening to chap in cafe today saying he's qualified to fix neighbours boiler he qualified 3 months ago the neighbour was going on holiday on Friday and couldn't afford any outlay b4 holiday . So the qualified chap bypassed the overheat stat with a piece of wire.... Burn down all these rapid pass gas centres b4 they burn down customers houses ... Put a stop to rapid pass and opening your gas company with hours of experience and make it mandatory for min 3 yrs working for a company , I have to deal with these peoples boilers all day and they hate paying twice then they say he was competent I see his card ???????

do you think 3 years is enough? i dont id go for at least 5 before you can register on your own.

Poss , if they have comprehensive engineering experience 3 yrs good 6 yrs for a builder or a banker from the city , met 1 5 yrs ago he couldn't even hang the boiler sound to the wall .

Just to say! That i thought working pressure and operating pressure were different.
Working Pressure(inlet pressure) and Burner pressure now called (operating pressure)... Eg On a combi boiler gas valve there are two test points. The one closest to the gas pipe is used to measure the Working Pressure (Inlet Pressure) and the second one is used to measure the Burner Pressure (Operating Pressure). Correct me if i am wrong cheers.

Listening to chap in cafe today saying he's qualified to fix neighbours boiler he qualified 3 months ago the neighbour was going on holiday on Friday and couldn't afford any outlay b4 holiday . So the qualified chap bypassed the overheat stat with a piece of wire.... Burn down all these rapid pass gas centres b4 they burn down customers houses ... Put a stop to rapid pass and opening your gas company with hours of experience and make it mandatory for min 3 yrs working for a company , I have to deal with these peoples boilers all day and they hate paying twice then they say he was competent I see his card ???????

You think linking out of devices is just the territory of fast-trackers? Hmpf, how about I tell you, as product of fast-track myself, that I've found more than my fair share of linked out devices done by time-served, older, ex Gas Board guys.

What if I told you that I've had to explain what I consider one of the most basic principles of gas safety? Why should I have to explain to time-served engineers that you are not allowed any drop on pipework, new or existing? That's school-boy stuff!

Do I know it all? No way ... I'll be learning for the rest of my life. I also know my limitations and won't do certain things without a more experienced engineer, despite having a card that says I can.

So before you tar all us that are a product of the fast-track system with the same brush, please do realise that there are equally as dangerous time-served folks out there.

yep ave seen both sides fast trackers that have passed and dont no hardly anything having been a cook or bus driver seen one who had passed on fires but never been near one so he told us asked him a few questions and he didnt get anything right but also seen so called experienced people who,ve been fitting a 33 kw boiler were the run has disapeard and is a pain to get at and its in 15mm and theve connected to it and left it ave seen loads of stuff people who were corgi first and can only hang boilers nothing else and no checks on anything

Last edited by a moderator:
I have to agree with CMairiD . I remember doing my ACOPS years ago and this old engineer thats was a Foreman for a heating firm , Well what he came out with was a serious concern regarding gas safety . At the time I thought bloody hell and this guy is in charge . Regarding bridging things out that should only ever be done for test purposes and should NEVER EVER be left in place as far as I am concerned

working pressure is not operating pressure. operating pressure is the same as burner pressure.

Last edited:
Yes good point Steve I use to drive a bus , truck , van, dumper,bike ,motor bike ,mo mo ,lol

fast trackers often havent had time to learn any bad habits,
also dont underestimate theyre determination to become an engineer many of them have invested their savings and gone back to college

Working pressure is at the meter whilst appliance is working to check governor/regulator

Operating pressure is burner pressure at burner to check gas valve is set correctly

Inlet pressure is testing pipework whilst appliance is working

Standing pressure is the useless one

Thats how I know it

Last edited:
I did my ACS exams for the 3rd time last month and one of the written questions concerned what I would do if the working pressure at the meter was out of range of normal. But instead of asking me to list what should be done....contact ESP etc etc, it asked that I assume I was an operative for an ESP and had to alter the regulator on the meter myself.

I spoke to my examiner who agreed the question was strange but that perhaps it is included because there are steps in place to change the rules about which gas operatives can change the meter pressure if incorrect. Let's face it, how many seals do we find that are broken?

Food for thought.....

Working pressure is at the meter whilst appliance is working to check governor/regulator

Operating pressure is burner pressure at burner to check gas valve is set correctly

Inlet pressure is testing pipework whilst appliance is working

Standing pressure is the useless one

Thats how I know it

and me

most of em cant even gas rate the boiler could be on fire in front of em and if the fga said it was ok they would believe it thats not just bg though ive worked at a few places and never cease to be amazed by the level of laziness of some people

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Working Pressure versus Operation Pressure in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

We are from Alberta, and I own an electrical company. I have been asked by a BC Mechanical P. Eng. to install an emergency STOP button at the man-door to the boiler room. It's intent is to 'halt' the operation of the boilers in the room should there be an emergency. He is demanding that I do...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is a 23.8Kw appliance with all six burners and oven on max. This was installed some 10 years ago and has passed all subsequent Gas Safety inspections as...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock