Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. Checkout our Plumbers Insurance area - heavily discounted Public Liability Insurance and Van Insurance specifically designed for plumbers.

Discuss Working for the council/local housing assosication. in the Plumbing Forum area at UKPlumbersForums.co.uk.

1. Matt0029

Matt0029 GSR

Thanks for the insight firemant. Air separater, most of been an old system. Guess there's loads of old vented hot water/central heating systems in council houses?

2. Matt0029

Matt0029 GSR

Must be an in depth interview 1 hour they state. I will look forward to a grilling!

3. firemant

firemant Plumber GSR

Again, will vary from LA to LA. About 4 years ago, I did some contracting work in a neighbouring town. LOADS of old boilers with air seps, quite a few BB's as well. Slowly being replaced by combis. They also had a LOT of gas fires (Rob Willeys).

Here, they have removed all gas fires, and there are only a handful of BB's, but only where tenants refuse an upgrade. All BF's and OF's are replaced when the house is void. Most conventional boilers have been fitted / converted to pressurised.

I had forgotten how long it takes to refill a header tanked system!

Good luck with your interview.

4. Matt0029

Matt0029 GSR

Thank you. And that's without dealing with an air lock! Remember when doing my apprenticeship helping back fill a few of the mains.

5. djchristoff

djchristoff New Member

I worked for a council years ago through an agency. 8 to 4:30 Monday to Thursday and 1 o clock finish on Friday. Easy work, kitchens (inc. gas point for cooker) and bathrooms as well as some rads. Boiler work was all contracted out. I did planned maintenance and repairs, voids as well as call outs. Every job had a set number of minutes (AM’s (actual munuites)) but you just got it done in the time it took. If you did it quicker you could get bonus but it wasn’t that much. Sparkys and plumbers were on the most. I knew guys (and gals) that joined the council for the pension and other benefits once they’d had enough of being self employed. Most houses were sh*tholes, wipe your feet on the way out. I put dust sheets down to keep me clean. Older tenants looked after there houses.

6. Matt0029

Matt0029 GSR

I'm 30 so if I go to the council would be quiet a long time on maintenance, but guess the pension would be good if stayed till 60.

7. djchristoff

djchristoff New Member

The council I worked for gave you extra holiday entertainment once you'd been there a few years, plus sick pay etc...