Search the forum,

Discuss Work gloves. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can any of you guys recommend thin lightweight strong gloves for general work,my thumbs and fingers seem to split all the time in winter and I end up wrapping them with micropore tape to protect them. I have tried latex gloves but these split within 1/2 an hour and are useles..Thanks.

Try Mumsnet?

Not to buy the gloves obviously but I reckon this answer requires a woman's touch.

;)

No, I'm not taking the Michael - it is a genuine idea for you. More men these days are using moisturisers and skin creams - not me I hasten to add - and it could be that a cream is better than gloves.

On the other hand :)D:D:D) they're more likely to know of some decent gloves.

Hi.i know a lot of blokes who have a bottle of washing up liquid in the back of the van,thats the worse thing to clean your hands with,it,s a de-greaser.
Vaselene is not good either.
E40 is good for hands.
My missus hates it when i try to sand her back down with hands like sandpaper.

Its almost impossible to work in gloves. I should know as I suffer from cold fingers through winter. I'm sat indoors right now in a T shirt, but my fingers are still cold to touch.

Anyway, I digress, for your problem, I would try a barrier cream. It'll form a thin barrier to repel whatevers cracking your skin, be it weather, or flux, whatever.

As for me, it's either move to a sunnier place, or shut up and get on with it....I think I have to go with number 2, the wifes got fair skin you see! :)

its not impossible to work with glloves, just takes a while to get used to them building sites these days they are mandatory, and so are safety glasses the lot !! real pain if you ask me !!

if you get a decent set of gloves then its usually ok, i tend to cut the fingers off them, there are a thin black set with rubber palms dont know what they are called but you'd be able to get them from toolstation or something. I thought they were the best ones. Ideal for winter though as your not touching freezing cold tools

Plenty of choice at Arco (see website or call in store)

If you use barrier cream before work it will stop the dirt and you won't have to scrub your hands as much.

Hand cream such as Neutrogena or similar after work protects the skin and stops it from drying out.

Use a "natural" industrial hand cleaner with abrasive particles such as Solopol rather than the harsh detergent ones such as Swarfega. The particles will do the work rather than abrading the skin with a brush.

One of the worst things is heating oil as this dissolves the oils in the skin and causes it to dry out. Vinyl gloves are sometimes impossible to work with for fine work, or they end up letting oil in.

Different barrier creams are available for different tasks. Deb do a range. There is one available for oils and solvents.

Last edited:
i suffer from bad hands and poor circulation but hate wearing gloves my knuckles split and bleed and my hands freeze,i use barrier cream in the day,sudocream when my hands become to painful and that green lidded one with the cream tub i cant remember the name of to protect them further,the problem is i am not routine enough looking after my hands and they are the most expensive tools we will ever own,our trade is not kind to hands dealing with water all the time but we need to look after them not to have problems we should count ourselves lucky (and a few on here will remember this) in the 70s they used paint on solder and flux a few of my dads mates ended up with industrial dermititus my dad said he would come home with massive blisters he would have to soak and pop with a needle to let the puss out,we have la-co to contend with which is bad enough

If you work for BG then gloves are mandatory, at least during manager/QC inspections anyway.
There are a wide range of rubber coated cotton gloves on the market (Ansell brand from ARCO for instance). It is best to go try on a few sizes to get a size that 'fits like a glove':p and are not to intrusive. I like them tighter the better as they slacken with use.
Get a good fitting pair and you will get used to them with time. They are also handy:p for taking red hot combustion covers off.

Gloves!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:confused::confused::confused::confused: good grief man youll be asking about kneepads and safety helmets next

dont diss the kneepads best things only wear the trousers with knee pads hate working without them

dont diss the kneepads best things only wear the trousers with knee pads hate working without them

Sorry GQuigley
I is so used to striding onto a job like a man on a mission and at the end of the day Hobbling out like a crippled Hobbit that I thought it was the only way to show yer had been working hard all day!!!!!

invest in the trousers with knee pads, arent too dear and defo worth it. Still end up batterd and crippled anyway but at least you save your knees lol

LOL Invest!!!! spend money crikey you must be one of them thar ritch plumbers!!!

I need a back brace and elbow protectors after today's job (twisting under a kitchen sink to replace the taps). Tomorrow I need ear plugs (looking after the children). Wednesday a wet suit for a hot water cylinder change. Thursday knee pads for a boiler and radiator. Friday loads of hand cream and protection against oil and soot from an Aga.

And, stupidly or not, I don't bother with any of this.

I have bad hands too and don't take good care of them until they're bleeding and hurting. Best thing I find is barrier cream and baby moisturiser!!!!

However, following a job the other day where I was crawling through a loft and constantly on my knees (in an airing cupboard before anyone asks) I need to get some new trousers with knee pads!

I have bad hands too and don't take good care of them until they're bleeding and hurting. Best thing I find is barrier cream and baby moisturiser!!!!

However, following a job the other day where I was crawling through a loft and constantly on my knees (in an airing cupboard before anyone asks) I need to get some new trousers with knee pads!

i have the dickies ones and they are stupid the knee pad is always just below the knee it does not work

i have the dickies ones and they are stupid the knee pad is always just below the knee it does not work

The scruffs ones are supposed to be ok and on offer in screwfix so may give them ago (depending how much the mot costs this month). Failing that I'll get an external set.

I think you need to search for mechanics gloves and there is a great range at our B & Q in loughborough but all depends on the size of the store, failing that Arco

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Work gloves. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all Noticed bad smell in my drain out side put my hand down and it unclogged it for now however I checked my sewer drain and after flushing my toilet a good few times nothing is going to the sewer so don't know is there a blockage or what way it works many thanks and advice would be grateful
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hi All I have a leak coming from within my Mira Elite QT shower. It seems to be flowing from behind the switching Control. Any ideas what could be causing this leak. Already Changed the Pump Elbow as one of the clips had popped which was causing a second small leak, Any idea? Is it time to buy...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended floor. Pic 1 is inside porch, pex temporarily clipped to give an idea of pipe placement (ignore shoddy blockwork of booted cowboy builder!), Pic 2 is...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock