Search the forum,

Discuss Worchester Bosch error code EA - Part 2 in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
who is going to stop him doing what he wants with it ?

No-one is!

There are no 'fiddle with your own Gas appliance, van brakes, Electrics, Police', Or at least if there are I have never seen them in action. You are free to do as you wish, we all are.

The thing is, it is difficult to prove competence after the fact, even if you didn't do anything wrong. That is why we have competent persons schemes. They are beyond a joke and a money spinning farce in my opinion. Nevertheless, in theory you have proven your competence in advance should any unfortunate mishap occur.
That does not mean of course that you are exempt from prosecution, just that it was acceptable for you to be working on whatever the mishap was caused by and that theoretically you knew what you were doing with it. It also means that you were insured to be working on whatever it was, presuming you have taken that out.

The Law is never as cut and dried as we might think it is.

Also if you had been GSR theres a very high chance you would have known the fault without half of the dangerous messing you done before hand

I can see where the guy is coming from, but in all honesty who is going to report him ? His house his boiler we know the law, and he has done wrong, But how meny others do the same thing ? it will never stop as long as all the information that is required is easily available, parts for gas appliance's can be bought over the counter by anyone, the same as test equipment, you can even hire it! All the Merchants, DIY Stores , online shopping will all sell any Gas Appliance or spare part you need with no questions asked, So as long as this go's on DIY work on gas will not stop ! and people look at what they are spending and as long as they can save a ÂŁ1. they will keep on doing it.

Good points !
I have said similar things over the years.
Where money is involved, safety takes second place in some circumstances.

This go's back to my first reply ! Its in his house its his own personal property, who is going to stop him doing what he wants with it ? you can attach this argument to anything, take your car/van for example you tinker with the engine or whatever, something happens to you get prosecuted for NOT being competent because you haven't done a mechanics course, your reply I didn't know anyway its my car I can do what I want to it, I can buy the parts & tools so what's to stop me !!
You will never stop people tinkering around with there own goods its human nature, we have all done things at home etc. moved a switch/plug worked on the car, did we call in a sparks or a mechanic ? answer NO so maybe we are just as much to blame.

That may be so but to tinker with your car or do some minor electrics or even major electrics is not illegal. You can do your own electrics even if it is notifiable work and pay the local authorities to inspect/test it and give you the building regs certificate. It is different for gas as it is illegal. Even if it is there own property or not. And that is the message we are trying to get across here.
I'm all for trying to save a few bob, and will encourage anyone to have a go and save money. It is one of the things this forum is all about, giving expert advice and tips to it's members to help them out. But never anything that is gas related to non GSR people. Yes you will, and always get the 'have a go hero' who is willing to break the law and possibly endanger the lives and property of the people and neighbours in the vicinity. It is up to us as the professional's, the government and Gas Safe to try and educate the public on these matters and get the message across. DO NOT MESS WITH GAS.

Darren this argument has been going on since Corgi started and is no further on now, Corgi, Gas safe have tried for years to stop the sale of gas products to the general public, but the government will not back it up due to pressure from the large manufactures and other outlets screaming its restrictive practise and it will make the gas industry a closed shop and prices will increase . So DIY gas repairs / installs will never stop, whether we give advise or not, in fact with all the information that is available on the internet more people are inclined to have a go than they were a few years back.

What worries me is that the OP resurrects his thread and tells everyone to keep on track and be professional.
In his first thread in November he was specifying a system for an HMO using a massive pump. And another 40cdi. It’s a good read.

I'm wondering what he will progress tio next? Tinkering with your own home is one thing, but rental properties he owns is another Matter.

Jump to the sparks forum and take a view at his threads on there.....

I'm wondering what he will progress tio next? Tinkering with your own home is one thing, but rental properties he owns is another Matter.

Jump to the sparks forum and take a view at his threads on there...

My trade is no secret, nor is the fact that I am also a landlord. I do not hide behind an alias. I stand by everything I say, if I am proven wrong I am happy to admit it as you will have seen in previous posts. I frequent forums to learn and help others. It is the job of my CPS assessor to determine my competence, similarly I am an accredited NLA Landlord, not just a paid up member. In my experience, those that invest in CPD, including forums are usually at the top of their game, cowboys seldom invest in CPD or visit forums. Therefore I respect and value the input from the majority of fellow forum members. However, my background has no relevance to this thread, your input to this thread along with many others I have witnessed seems to be one of self gratification by putting others down and moving off topic. You might be familiar with the term "Internet Trolling" if not I suggest you familiarise yourself.
Internet troll - Wikipedia

Back on topic I will respond shortly as previously advised.

WTF.

Bloke illegally messes with boiler.
Bloke brags about it.
Bloke gets shut down.

Bloke opens another thread asking for justification of closing of first thread.

FFS. Is the forum going to grow a pair and tell the Muppet to jog on.

It's quite simple.

He's not competent and It's therefore illegal.

WTF.

Bloke illegally messes with boiler.
Bloke brags about it.
Bloke gets shut down.

Bloke opens another thread asking for justification of closing of first thread.

FFS. Is the forum going to grow a pair and tell the Muppet to jog on.

It's quite simple.

He's not competent and It's therefore illegal.

? He accepts that he's in the wrong and worked illegally and he is in the wrong

Reactions: rpm
You don't have the equipment to test the boiler is burning correctly after changing parts.

How have you tested the gas supply after changing he valve and removing the test nipple at the meter?
He doesn’t even have a u manometer to do there first thing you always should do.

Actually, compared to others before him on this subject he hasn't been agressive or rude and he hasn`t thrown the toys out of the pram. Posts #9 & 46 show he is willing to listen.
Whilst he may not be rude or aggressive he is endangering people and property , breaking the law and doesn’t seem remotely bothered by it, by endorsing his attitude or approach to the subject, because he seems like a bright bloke that’s not rude, are you offering carte Blanche? is it ok in your view for some without the training, test equipment or knowledge to just download a manual open up a boiler and have a go ? I’m sure as many of us you will have you have come across many situations where a diy will “have had a go”at his plumbing and made the situation far worse or more complex, the usual worst case scenario is that everything will get very wet, I don’t want you to suck eggs but the worst case scenario with Gas doesn’t result in a damp carpet. The OP is apparently a trained Spark and a landlord so should know better, and by trying to save a few quid or explore his curiosity is potentially endangering himself his tenants his neighbors and anyone in the local vicinity, if he gains the confidence and support from others to carry on “having a go “ there is a huge potential for error with potentially fatal consequences.

Whilst he may not be rude or aggressive he is endangering people and property , breaking the law and doesn’t seem remotely bothered by it, by endorsing his attitude or approach to the subject, because he seems like a bright bloke that’s not rude, are you offering carte Blanche? is it ok in your view for some without the training, test equipment or knowledge to just download a manual open up a boiler and have a go ? I’m sure as many of us you will have you have come across many situations where a diy will “have had a go”at his plumbing and made the situation far worse or more complex, the usual worst case scenario is that everything will get very wet, I don’t want you to suck eggs but the worst case scenario with Gas doesn’t result in a damp carpet. The OP is apparently a trained Spark and a landlord so should know better, and by trying to save a few quid or explore his curiosity is potentially endangering himself his tenants his neighbors and anyone in the local vicinity, if he gains the confidence and support from others to carry on “having a go “ there is a huge potential for error with potentially fatal consequences.

I don't think anyone is endorsing what he is doing, and like a lot of people where money is involved common sense go's out the window, these type of posts & questions will never stop as long as information and videos showing how to find faults, repair and test along with free access to gas parts is readily available. Its down to the governing bodies & government to do something about it, although Corgi/Gas Safe have been trying for years it seems their hands are tied.

Am I offering carte Blanche? No I`m not.

Is it ok in your view for some without training ......... to have a go? No it`s not.

By endorsing his attitude ................
Where did I endorse anything? I simply made a point that he has been polite in his replies (even offering to eat humble pie).
Politely suggest you go back and read his posts again ;)

FFS, shut the thread down
The guy's in the wrong
This type of thread wouldn't have had 55 replies a year or so ago
It would have had 1

FFS, shut the thread down
The guy's in the wrong
This type of thread wouldn't have had 55 replies a year or so ago
It would have had 1

Problem with that is he doesn't learn / get educated about what he's doing and why it's illegal

He's been told numerous times Shaun
He chooses not to listen, flogging a dead horse

I’m happy to be corrected on anything I say below. I am going to ignore the requirements for Gas Safe Engineers as we are not talking about this, I am solely looking at what you can legally do in your own home.

The Gas Safe Register is run by Capita Group, they were appointed by the HSE in 2008 to run the new registration scheme. They are responsible for ensuring registered engineers are competent and improving consumer awareness. They do not make laws nor administer work in your own home, we therefore need to look to the HSE with reference to which laws might exist for consumers wishing to fix their own boilers.

I found this article on the HSE web site which I believe is still current. It was released in 2000 and I have not been able to find anything current that states otherwise. This document advises “While current law does not prohibit DIY gas work provided that the person is competent to do it safely, DIY is strongly discouraged in HSE guidance” www.hse.gov.uk/consult/disdocs/dde14b.pdf Unfortunately they do not provide any guidance on what defines competent.

There is however, a new “Safety in the installation and use of gas systems and appliances” that comes into force on 5 April 2018.

http://www.hse.gov.uk/pubns/priced/l56.pdf I strongly recommend a read of this, I found it very informative.

The regulation sates “No person shall carry out any work in relation to a gas fitting or gas storage vessel unless he is competent to do so.”

Fortunately, in the new document we now have “ACOP” which is the Approved Code of Practice. This is not law, but it does state; “Gas work should only be undertaken by a person who has successfully completed an industry-recognised training course followed by assessment of competence”

It also mentions “the code has a special legal status. If you are prosecuted for breach of health and safety law, and it is proved that you did not follow the relevant provisions of the code, you will need to show that you have complied with the law in some other way or the court will find you at fault”

Previously I would argue that I am competent. However, going forward I think I would struggle to win this argument as the new policy coming into force now closes that door firmly shut by giving guidance on what they deem competent. There are no longer any grey areas. So on that note my first gas fitting replacement will be my last.

However, one thing I was not able to ascertain is where do you draw the line; I recall reading a wet plumber can replace the pump in a boiler, but I could not find that article again to conclude. Similarly I also read if a wet plumber installs the radiators a GSR engineer should do the final connection to the boiler. I’m gonna do some more research on that, but I think this post is big enough for now.

I’ve learnt a lot from this post, I’m hopeful others have to.

In simple terms regarding competence

Unless you hold relevant qualifications in the service and repair field of gas appliance your not competent in there eyes

So it's a defo no for you sorry to say

what's the worst that could happen?
315E220900000578-3454209-image-a-41_1455886040123.jpg

Thing is, the OP claims this is in his own home ............. now long would it be before he starts doing the same in one of his portfolio of rental properties ?

Am I offering carte Blanche? No I`m not.

Is it ok in your view for some without training ... to have a go? No it`s not.

By endorsing his attitude ...
Where did I endorse anything? I simply made a point that he has been polite in his replies (even offering to eat humble pie).
Politely suggest you go back and read his posts again ;)
I do apologise for my ranting. Having read back I see your point and think I was possibly a bit knee jerk.

This is a good document posted by Shaun, it details what work can be carried out on boilers by competent non Gas Safe Engineers, such as Electricians and Plumbers. Basically anything that does not disturb a gas carrying component or disturbs a module that controls the combustion process.

Or anything that disturbs the main air seal (to keep it room sealed)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Worchester Bosch error code EA - Part 2 in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock