Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. Checkout our Plumbers Insurance area - heavily discounted Public Liability Insurance and Van Insurance specifically designed for plumbers.

Discuss Worcester Greenstar 24ri - Possible airlock? in the Gas Safe Register Forum - Public Forum area at UKPlumbersForums.co.uk.

1. JE-P&H

JE-P&H GSR

Replaced an old Ideal Concorde WRS225a with a 24ri today, on fire up it lights for couple of seconds and overheats causing banging pipes etc.

Couldn't find a manual for the Ideal so assumed flow was on the left and return on right as left came out from top of heat ex and right from the bottom. (Check with Ideal who confirmed I was correct but still considering it's a possibility)

Have a drain off on the return so tried mains water into the system with no luck.

Boiler is in the garage with about a 8m run to the airing cupboard where the pump is, flow pipe barely gets hot past top of the boiler. Any suggestions would be great I'm struggling!

2. PhoenixServices

PhoenixServices Plumber GSR

Have you bled the heat exchanger?

3. JE-P&H

JE-P&H GSR

Ye bled from the vent on the top, no air just hot water!

4. Destroyer2813

Destroyer2813 Plumber GSR

Checked the simple things right pumps running valves are open filter vales or anything ?

5. JE-P&H

JE-P&H GSR

Ye pump runs ( Can hear it and changes through speed settings) zones valves both opening and are new, pump is still original was working fine before I assume as they had HW do newer boilers need a strong pump could be weak but unlikely?

6. ShaunCorbs

ShaunCorbs S. Mod Trusted Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

how fast does it temp up?

7. JE-P&H

JE-P&H GSR

About 10seconds, fires up full then goes low, then out as it overheats. Flow pipe goes red hot above boiler and return gets hot but it doesn't loop, the pipes just get hot off the boiler if that makes sense!

8. ShaunCorbs

would say air lock

shove your hose on the drain off and drain it off for a good 10 mins on the return then do the same with the flow

9. JE-P&H

JE-P&H GSR

Ye same I was thinking tomorrow drain it down put lever valve on flow and one on return. Then mains water through the drain off isolating one side at a time to try and push it through but if that doesn't work I'm stuck haha!

10. ShaunCorbs

dont you have a mag filter fitted?

11. JE-P&H

JE-P&H GSR

I Quote them as optional customer opted out, not my choice but what can you do!

12. ShaunCorbs

just thinking saves you draining down if you did

would put some lockshield gate valves instead of lever valves

13. JE-P&H

JE-P&H GSR

Ye it's typical majority of installs have a filter but not this one! Didn't think of lockshield gate valves good alternative thanks!

14. JE-P&H

JE-P&H GSR

Still no luck, drained everything including the boiler installed 2 AAV above the boiler shut off a valve each side and tried to pull an air lock through any other suggestions?

15. ShaunCorbs

Are you getting just water out ? Or nothing

If your getting water could be pump