Search the forum,

Discuss Worcester greenstar 18ri purpose of the CH control knob on face in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, I have a conventional Greenstar 18ri in a house I rent out. Can anyone explain to me in simple terms the function of the CH control knob on the front of the boiler?
When it was installed, the engineer set the knob at about three quarters way round to the right and said that was about the usual setting, and normally there is no need to touch.......something to do with speed of the flow or the temperature of hot water to the radiators.

Last time I visited I noticed the house was very warm. The girls there have the normal thermostat control in the hall at about 22c or 23c, and also keep on turning the thermo controlled valves on the radiators to max which is annoying. Consequently it gets like a sauna !

If I turned the control knob on the boiler slightly back anti-clockwise, would this have the effect of reducing the temperature of the radiators at all? I may have this wrong, but I am wondering if the hall thermostat clicks off when the 22c temperature is reached but because the radiators are so hot, the temperature still rises for a while afterwards? Also, does the boiler stay on longer, the more the CH knob is turned clockwise?

I am not gas qualified, but I would think it is the boiler thermostat and it controls the temperature the water to the radiators can reach. That will allow the boiler to run on slightly longer to reach higher temperature if turned clockwise.
I don't want to comment on the partial purpose of speed of heat up and correct temperature setting as some of the gas plumbers on here can advise.
You should really ask your gas service engineer when they next service the boiler - I assume you, as as landlord are having this done, as is legal requirement?
The important thing is the hall wall thermostat and it would normally be set to about 20 to 22 degrees approx in a living area hall on a lower floor for that floor to be very warm. Bedroom areas less heat needed. But it might vary depending on size and variation of rads output and location of any wall stat. Thermostatic radiator valves should only be set to what the max temperature that room requires and not at full setting. If they are turned full up, the room can reach about 29 degrees. But try telling people that! :smile:
Why worry what your tenants do? You are not paying their gas, unless you are renting rooms in your own house, thus using YOUR gas?
So just make sure they know the facts and if everything is safe and serviced regularly, ignore what the occupants decide IMO.
Bit of advice I should add, - get basic instructions and print them of how the heating, including the TRVs are supposed to operate and have them copied and laminated and give a copy to each new group of tenants, so to save endless repeating yourself to people.

Last edited:
Best is far more polite than I am, frankly it's none of your business what temperature your tenants chose to have the heating and TRV's set at. Get a heating engineer in to balance your system properly, you probably have a TRV on the hall rad with the controlling stat.

I am not gas qualified, but I would think it is the boiler thermostat and it controls the temperature the water to the radiators can reach. That will allow the boiler to run on slightly longer to reach higher temperature if turned clockwise.
I don't want to comment on the partial purpose of speed of heat up and correct temperature setting as some of the gas plumbers on here can advise.
You should really ask your gas service engineer when they next service the boiler - I assume you, as as landlord are having this done, as is legal requirement?
The important thing is the hall wall thermostat and it would normally be set to about 20 to 22 degrees approx in a living area hall on a lower floor for that floor to be very warm. Bedroom areas less heat needed. But it might vary depending on size and variation of rads output and location of any wall stat. Thermostatic radiator valves should only be set to what the max temperature that room requires and not at full setting. If they are turned full up, the room can reach about 29 degrees. But try telling people that! :smile:
Why worry what your tenants do? You are not paying their gas, unless you are renting rooms in your own house, thus using YOUR gas?
So just make sure they know the facts and if everything is safe and serviced regularly, ignore what the occupants decide IMO.
Bit of advice I should add, - get basic instructions and print them of how the heating, including the TRVs are supposed to operate and have them copied and laminated and give a copy to each new group of tenants, so to save endless repeating yourself to people.

Great help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Worcester greenstar 18ri purpose of the CH control knob on face in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Last May had a new Greenstar 4000 boiler fitted and only recently started using the heating. Once the set room temperature is reached the boiler modulates (presumably) and stays running for very long periods (many hours) but the circulating water is only luke warm (about 35 degrees) Any heating...
Replies
Views
I have a home with an oil boiler in a garage turned into a flat, heating both flat and main house, running c plan with two pumps, two motorised valves simple bi-metal thermostat on wall in flat with 4 standard TRV's rarely used so not worried about the flat, and main house has Nest Gen 3 in the...
Replies
Views
Worcester Boiler - GREENSTAR 8000 Life - Heating anomaly I have recently noticed when I have lost power to my boiler and power is then reinstated that the Central Heating comes on. Is this the norm?…ALL CH controls are off.
Replies
Views
I have an issue with a Worcester Greenstar 29CDi Classic boiler. I replaced the old thermostat controller with a smart dual-channel HIVE one. I did all the wiring following the diagram in the attached picture. The boiler doesn't work anymore. Please, any suggestions?
Replies
Views
Experiencing an issue with a Worcester Greenstar 21i conventional boiler if anyone could help! I have previously installed a Tado smart controls system and is all working correctly with my 3 zone s plan system (CH x2, & HW). Boiler fires from the LR (signal) when the Tado calls for heat but...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock