Search the forum,

Discuss Worcester Bosch Heatslave 26/32 Lockout in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

geoff.kimpton

The lockout lamp is on on my 26/32 combi boiler & the burner will not start.
As soon as either the hot water or CH control knobs are turned on the lockout lamp comes on.
The only work carried recently was replacing some TRV's a month ago.
The only problem i had then was the overheat button did trip but re-set ok, i think i may have caused this by not ensuring the rads were fully bled befor switching on ?
Ch & domestic hot water has been working fine since then.
This time the overheat has not tripped.
I only technical info i have is the installation & servicing instructions.
The water pressure is 1 bar & steady.
I have checked fuel supply by loosening the union at the feed in to the burner.
According to the fault finding chart the 1st check for burner failing to start is check for a faulty boiler thermostat by linking out the high limit & contol thermostats but which wires to link out is not explained anywhere in the instuctions.
I am competant enough not to get into trouble with this & would appreciate any advice.

personally I feel that if you unable to link out the stats your not competant enough to be messing with a boiler, youd be better of calling in an engineer to fix it for you.

I agree with lame plumber, also linking out if done incorrectly can damage the pcb (my first bit of boiler electrics taught me this)

so if you have a bash and it goes wrong, youre looking at having the same problem and a new pcb along with it.

Best course is having an engineer in.

Why does everybody with a 4mm allen key think they are an oil engineer.

If you can say yes to the following questions then go for it, failing that get an engineer in for the sake of yourself and family.

1. Been trained
2. Have a pressure gauge
3. Have a flue gas analyser
4. Have a smoke pump
5. Have a flue gas thermometer.

Hang on a mo, you're all missing the obvious...

He's turning the stats up and the lock out lamp is on..

The stats have nothing to do with the burner except to power it, so if the lamp is on when the dials are turned up, then its 'just a' lock out surely.

Geoff, if Im right, you can try pushing the button a couple of time, otherwise is a fault on the BURNER and you'll need an engineer - dont touch the stats.

Have you got oil? lol (dont be offended, its the first question I ask, followed by - "yes, but have you actually physically checked!")

Bunker the heatslaves have a lockout on the pcb.

this isnt refering to the burner as far as im aware.

Bunker the heatslaves have a lockout on the pcb.

this isnt refering to the burner as far as im aware.
I feel impotent for not being 100% on this...I know there's the overheat buttons that pop out but do they illuminate a light then? OP is referring to a 'lock out lamp' glowing.

The stats have nothing to do with the burner except to power it, so if the lamp is on when the dials are turned up, then its 'just a' lock out surely.

Geoff, if Im right, you can try pushing the button a couple of time, otherwise is a fault on the BURNER and you'll need an engineer - dont touch the stats.

Have you got oil? lol (dont be offended, its the first question I ask, followed by - "yes, but have you actually physically checked!")

tend to agree with bunks on this and even more reason to leave alone once you have checked oil as his manual states to do.

You were absolutely correct, they were all missing the obvious (as was I, but then I dont actually work on these things for a living).
I found the burner lockout reset button & it came back to life.
Yes there is plenty of oil but I suspect the tank filter is clogged causing a restriction, i did check by slackening the union at the bottom of the burner & had fuel. I fully expect it will happen again but will live with it until there is less fuel in the tank so I can replace the filter (stop tap on tank is siezed).
Many thanks for your very helpful reply :hurray:

Geoff

Cool, Im glad you're sorted.
Spray the tank cock with WD40 every day for a while then try it. G'luck.

Last edited by a moderator:
Cool, Im glad you're sorted.
Spray the tank cock with WD40 every day for a while then try it. G'luck.

And another Tradesman loses not to mention the number of others who read these posts.

I had a word with a Gent in OFTEC about all the DIY and lack of regulations in the oil sector, I was referring to a post here some time ago.

He very politely pointed out that for as long as some members give away their knowledge how could OFTEC represent the members properly?

I agree with him.

And another Tradesman loses not to mention the number of others who read these posts.

I had a word with a Gent in OFTEC about all the DIY and lack of regulations in the oil sector, I was referring to a post here some time ago.

He very politely pointed out that for as long as some members give away their knowledge how could OFTEC represent the members properly?

I agree with him.
I thought helping people was the point of this forum? If our experience is so secret and taboo, then we should only post in the Arms...

Oil is no different to gas, wood, coal etc etc. What we need are more muppets playing with the non gas fuels to kill themselves, then these fuels may be taken as seriously as gas. imho

I thought helping people was the point of this forum? If our experience is so secret and taboo, then we should only post in the Arms...

Obviously my thinking is different, I worked for a pittance serving my time to a trade long before OFTEC was even dreamed of, the knowledge I gained then was paid for in so many ways, being young and not being able to afford a good social life unlike the numptys in my class who were earning more than me as site labourers was just one.

Every day is a school day, we graduate from the college of life the day we die, so I have no problem sharing my knowledge / experience with fellow tradesmen, in fact I enjoy communicating with like minded people, those who I share a common bond with, the DIY sector are welcome to ask questions that doesn't mean we have destroy our own or another tradesman's living while giving a polite reply.

Look at the number of threads where the DIY sector don't even have the manners to reply with a thank you and you will soon see how they value the knowledge you impart, be it time served or from a course and experience gained your experience is as secret and taboo as the value you place on that knowledge.

The real question that comes to my mind is why do so many in the trade complain about customers refusing to pay a decent living rate or respect the course fees, FGA calibration fees, insurances, general overheads then come in here and give their living away free?

I agree with both you and Simon here Pete. But, unfortunately, until a little blue eyed girl, her kitten and her teddies are killed by an oil fired appliance and the tabloids get on the case oftec won't force a tighten up on the unregistered. The only time oftec is truly bothered is in the event of an environmental incident. I've literally, in the last week, had a row with a boy over a vent on an internal tank. He wanted it brought inside to discharge into the bund if the eventuality ever occurred. Couldn't wrap his head round the fact that by solving one unlikely issue, he was creating another, very real, danger.

But if you guys want to take the same stance in here as the gsr's do with gas, I will back you 100% and enforce it with the same intensity as I do with that.

A poll in the arms with suggested restrictions? Such as anything with the set up of the combustion process?

I'm saddened to read this especially as this example shows no advice beyond what's in the manual. Perhaps some of you earn your money by responding to such symptoms with a nice call out charge when you know a push of the lock out button might do it, that frankly is what threatens our livelihood, mercenary call outs. If a custard calls me and says " the red lock out is on" I say "push it and if it doesn't work, check your oil levels, if you have oil I'll come out".
I dont know how you sleep at night.

Pushing a reset is one thing entirely as is checking for oil. Anything byond that requires an oil technician. THAT's the line I want to draw.

Hopefully we all agree on that score!

when I suggested a while back the there be an oily only forum such as the gas safe private one, I was shot down in flames. If we arent to answer queries on oil to the diy, then surely we needa private oil forum and treat non qualified questions as we do gas. Until then its open book to all

I've never disagreed with that.

Let's not delude ourselves, we've spent time and money getting ourselves qualified and kitting ourselves out.

We're fully aware of the fact oil fired appliances produce CO and so are as deadly as gas fired appliances.

We're trained to prevent environmental catastrophies.

And everytime a non technician is given advice other than "Check the oil and press reset!" we're doing some poor sod out of a job.

OFTEC registered technicians (think I'll call us ORT's from now on!) have every bit as much of a responsibility as do GSR's.

Yes, at the moment there is no requirement to be an ORT to work on an oil fired appliance. IMHO that is wrong. A line has to be drawn and I'm prepared to draw it if you'll back me. I can make it so that this forum is run along the same lines as the GSR forum with a closed shop and private forum.

Then we can invite OFTEC and demand for changes in the law!

Ohh ill be an orty .... And spell check wanted to change that to tory.....

And we can we also beast oftec to call us engineers?

the we can all be ORES ;)

Ohh ill be an orty .... And spell check wanted to change that to tory.....

And we can we also beast oftec to call us engineers?

the we can all be ORES ;)

You've been waiting for ages for that one haven't you........

Please, thats a stoke of genius from my 3rd braincell!!
have you seen him? I think he's lost :(
the first went looking and the second got lonely and left

hey have you seen my 3rd......

A picture says 1000 words

Bendy-Men-F-3-800.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Worcester Bosch Heatslave 26/32 Lockout in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock