Search the forum,

Discuss Worcester boiler no heating in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

dest

Hi,
Found the forum via google, and hope someone can help :)
Ive got an Oil Heatslave 20/25. When using the hot water everything is fine, the burner fires up and everything works fine.
However, when putting the central heating on there is a solenoid click and then hum which I would describe as similar type of sound of when a small electric motor is being held back. Nothing happens apart from that

Thanks in advance for any help!

sounds like motor in diverter valve square box just above pump there maybe a manual override lever at one end

I think you're spot on!
The sound is definitely coming from that area.
I cannot see a manual valve though.

12B1CC5E-BC40-4A55-9891-8D8904A69E82-1358-0000028E1BC5132B.jpg

Ive just been for another look and thought it might be worth giving the diverter valve a little tap just incase it had got stuck.
I also spotted a 3 position level on top of the pump, so moved that between settings (put it back on the same one of course)
I then tried to CH and the burner kicked in straight away, the HW is working too :)
I guess it was a combination or one of those two things I tried that got it working again!

As an aside, would I be right in thinking that the boiler is getting towards needing replacing simply due to age, or would it be worth carrying on with it while it works fine?
No doubt a new one would be a lot more efficient to run!

Heatslave not that old, should be good for a few years yet provided it's looked after and regularly serviced

It looks like its going to need a new diverter valve, its stopped working again :(
Now to find a decent plumber in Northamptonshire!

You don't need a new valve, just a synchronous motor. They are widely available and on Ebay for a tenner. Make sure you get the Honeywell type. They are easy enough to replace but if you aren't confident, ask an electrician to do it for you.

Last edited:
Im pretty handy with electrics, but not plumbing!
I would imagine that the whole valve would need removing to fit it?

No, if you slacken the screw above the label on the valve head cover the cover will come off and you will see the motor. It's held on with either 1 or 2 screws. You get 2 crimps in the box with the replacement motor.

Sometimes it's easier to take off the head for access to the motor, again you will need to remove the cover off the actuator and you will see 2 screws holding it onto the valve body. Take off the head and check the valve stem moves freely.

You don't want to have to change the valve body unless it's seized as it's a major and expensive operation.

Last edited:
PS there's probably a Youtube video showing how it's done

[video=youtube;Yyn_fBEH90U]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yyn_fBEH90U[/video]

Ive just sat and watched that one :)
Looks pretty straight forward, no doubt access is the hardest part!
Ill have it apart tomorrow and see what I can find
Thanks for your help

Check the gears as if they are worn you need to replace the complete actuator head. Remove as at 6.00 on the vid

Ive finally found time to have a look at this properly, Ive got the valve head off and the gears are definitly jumping exactly like the one in the video.
The motor seems fine as does the valve.
Is it possible to buy the head with no motor or valve, or do I have to bite the bullet and pay £105 (off ebay new) for the whole thing?
Any links would be great :D
Thanks again

Right, Ive ordered a complete part off ebay, might as renew the motor and switches too!
In the meantime, I went to put it onto manual but the gears are that screwed up the level isnt moving round far enough to activate the micro switch.
So until the new one arrives, I assume Im ok to wedge it open manually so we have HW and CW?

£105 is excessive for the part. Should be able to find ot for 1/2 that amount

Plumbcentre was over 200!
All other sites I found were averaging 180, so I was happy with 105.
It arrived within 24hrs yesterday and is now fitted and all working again :)

Thanks again for all the help, its saved us a fortune!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Worcester boiler no heating in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock