Search the forum,

Discuss Worcester 24 cdi puzzle in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi all

I have an 18 year old Worcester 24cdi boiler that is playing up and was hoping someone on here might be able to help diagnose the rather strange issues from the symptoms:
  • The hot water heats all the time the boiler is on, even if the taps aren't on and the water temperature is turned down low. It continually fires up to a very very hot heat. The pump and heat exchanger are boiling hot to touch, but the thermostat doesn't make the boiler cut out.
  • The central heating is not working at all. When the thermostat is turned up high the light appears for heating on the boiler but at no point does the flame light or the radiators begin to get warm.
  • The diverter valve is stuck out at all times (which probably partly answers the question). If you manually push/wedge it in the hot water stops heating but the radiators still don't heat up.
  • The pipe that takes hot heating water away from the boiler is boiling hot but the return pipe is very cold.
  • The boiler has a history of losing pressure but it seems ok at the moment.
  • The pipes have been blocked in the past but were cleared last year.
Current plan is to get a new diverter switch and probably a new heat exchanger too. I think this may stop the water continually boiling up, but I'm not convinced this will fix the radiator issue. Any thoughts and suggestions would be very welcome. I've got 2 young kids so I need to get it sorted before winter or my wife will kill me!

I think your wife definitely will kill you if you throw money at random parts and the boiler fails at a later date.

Either get someone qualified to check the faults or save some time and money and get some quotes for a new boiler.

Thanks guys I think you're probably right. Trying to avoid the inevitable.

Can anyone suggest the best offers/deals on new boilers and installation at the moment? Something with a decent warranty would be ideal.

Cheers

Thanks guys I think you're probably right. Trying to avoid the inevitable.

Can anyone suggest the best offers/deals on new boilers and installation at the moment? Something with a decent warranty would be ideal.

Cheers

All boilers come with massive warrenty these days , pick one of these .. Viessmann, Vaillant or Baxi

Reply to Worcester 24 cdi puzzle in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi,

Our heating stopped working today. We've got a Veissmann boiler that's under a year old, and an older Megaflow cylinder, and two diverter valves (all about 10 years old). We also use a Hive thermostat.

When I boost the hot water with Hive, the receiver near the boiler shows it's...
Replies
Views
H
Wishing everyone on tgmhis forum a very happy Christmas!! I am working on a combi boiler which has problem with heating only. Water is heating normally. Here are the symptoms 1. Signal from thermostat is not firing the boiler. It does not make any sound when heating is on from thermostat. 2...
Replies
Views
B
Issue with boiler short cycling in system with hot water tank. We have an ideal heating logic heat2 h15 boiler which feeds a hot water tank upstairs in the house. We have an issue where if the boiler isn’t set to 80c then the boiler will short cycle, the hot water tank thermostat is set at...
Replies
Views
I am looking to replace my existing Vaillant heat-only boiler with a new Vaillant ecotec plus 630 system boiler (30kW). I have a megaflo hot-water cylinder, a central heating system (serving 21 radiators) and an orangery built last year (6m x 4m) with underfloor heating. Through running some...
Replies
Views
I have a thermal store heated by a boiler with its own thermostat. I also have a stove with a back boiler. The stove heats water in a separate tank. There is a thermostat on this second tank that pushes hot water over to the store tank when it's hot. It's a closed loop and goes through a heat...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock