Search the forum,

Discuss Worcester 18/25 Heat slave in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Right in theory but not a hope.

Dont the wb have the specs on the label inside? I thought they did...

Personally I wouldnt commission it, Id see the fire valve etc and give him a list of what needs doing before even getting my meter out. Id charge him £45 for my time and tell him to call when its installed to standard. When thats done Id go back and set it up.

Did you stick your probe deeply into the black hole? On the WB you need to stick it in about 4 or 5 inches to get right into the flue way to get the right readings for some reason, just through the hole wont cut it and will give you what you are experiencing.

I hope you checked to make sure that it was signed off by building control you will neef the number for your form or the oftec installers number otherwise you cant commission it

I hope you checked to make sure that it was signed off by building control you will neef the number for your form or the oftec installers number otherwise you cant commission it

if your the oftec guy commissioning it, its buildings control that wants your paperwork!

Extract from planning portal.
In some cases householders may decide to engage a firm that is not a member of one of the approved Competent Person schemes. In this case the installer will not be able to self-certify that their work is compliant, and the firm or the householder will need to give notice to your Local Authority of the intention to carry out the boiler work in advance, and pay a notification fee.* Local Authority Building Control may choose to check the works have been carried out to the necessary standards and may employ a registered installer to do this.When works have been completed the installer should then produce for you a commissioning certificate such as a Benchmark certificate and notify the local* authority building control department either directly, or, if a member of a* Competent Person Scheme, via the scheme operator.* In due course the local authority should supply you with a Building Regulations Completion Certificate that indicates compliance.Guidance on installing boiler and other combustion appliances, and the building provisions that are necessary to safely accommodate them (air supplies, hearths, fireplaces, flues and chimneys) can be found in*Approved Document J.

On the CD11 its a check box that asks if the CD10 was present and completed - thats yes or no. It then asks if not, blah blah is there a building control number, yes or no.
I just tick no where appropriate. When I do the notification I just notify the commissioning, not the installation. Nothing wrong with that as far as we are concerned but I do tell the custard that the installation wont be registered and if BC come looking, your installer will have to ask for retrospective.
I ran this by by OFTEC inspector a couple of weeks ago and he confirmed thats exactly the correct route.

The regulations are quite precise if not approved by building control or not installed by oftec installer or othet vompetent petson then its an illegal installation and you cant commission it.
Check your building regs

Last edited by a moderator:
seems then that theres an awful lot of illegal installs out there, but I have yet to see anyone prosecuted as oftec is a waste of space in hunting down illegals, and BC is happy to take your cd 11 as proof the systems ok and grant a retrospective or completion notice to the householder. After all if theres anything wrong I'm not going to sign off a system, unless I am paid to bring it up to spec and then everything will comply anyhow. Not the best way of doing things but thats how it is till someone starts enforcing the so called regs.

We know there are a lot of illegsl installs. Manufacturers used to commission boilers that plumberd installed because they would sell more boilers. Oftec took them to task and they dont do it any more. I was at a heating show about 8yrs ago when the oftec contingent pointed out the regs

and in the intervening 8 years whats changed? NOTHING TO MY KNOWLEDGE

bleeding caps lock and breathe :)

I've had a busy day today so haven't managed to speak to the client or go back over there. I'll call him tomorrow. I'm going to fill the cd11 in. Note no fire valve. Register the boiler with Worcester Bosch and tell them to go out to it.

The don't have the figures in the boiler. Just the nozzle on the data plate.

They have me the info. Whether it was right looks doubtful.

I won't register it with building control via OFTEC until the fire valve is fitted. I think that's fair and reasonable.

The clients dad fitted the boiler and system (ex plumber apparently) so if he wants to fit a fire valve I will pop back and check its in the right position and sign it off.

I had oil boilers signed off for years. People openly advertise the service of signing off oil boilers. It's not the same as with gas. As I said I won't sign off a gas install but with oil appliances it seems common practice.

The regulations are quite precise if not approved by building control or not installed by oftec installer or othet vompetent petson then its an illegal installation and you cant commission it.
Check your building regs
With immense respect, I think you're mistaken. Ive just now emailed my local inspector for the 'party line' but notification of a commission isnt dependant on notification of an correct installation. This is why there are 2 separate options on the Works Notification portal. So when commissioning, you are not beholden to a notifiable install...

Reading the small print on the CD11 IMPORTANT COMMENTS:
The comments may include advice on remedial work necessary to enable the installation to comply with the requirements of the Building Regs, Control of Pollution and British Standards

So, part of the commission is to make a note of any failures to comply. I cant find anywhere that says "This installation complies with Building Regs etc.....signed...."

Im having self-doubts now about the whole procedure...

to show compliance with the building, health, safety and efficiency regulatory requirements and the manufacturers service
and commissioning instructions. This also enables the technician to record any
discrepancies or concerns they have with the installation as found.
Its still a bit wooly..

Sorry bunker I have gone into it at grest length with oftec and my locall building control who is quite switched on with oil. The overiding factor is that only a competent person can install or it has to be signed off by building control ad per my previous post. So what about flow and return temperatures auto by pass etc these should all be done along with flushing etc its not on the cd11 but is required. I think you may find yourself partly liable if not whplly if something went wrong with the boiler after you commissoned it.
To put your mind at rest just give oftec a ring.
There are two parts to the notification because there are some people out there who are only qualified to install and some who are qualified to do both.

Interestingly the old CD11s used to require the engineers signature but not any more, so in some ways, we are never actually signing anything off unlike the CD10

Well I have clarifief the matter with oftec and I was wrong although what I ssid was told to me by oftec a few years ago and what they say now is that you can commission an illegally installed boiler but you have to be sure it is safe. Any issues with the installation that is not covered on the cd11 is the installers ptoblem. As long as it is safe is the buzz word.

Interestingly the old CD11s used to require the engineers signature but not any more, so in some ways, we are never actually signing anything off unlike the CD10
Just noticed, the new batch of CD11's do have a Technicians signature box again!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Worcester 18/25 Heat slave in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock