Search the forum,

Discuss Worcester 18/25 Heat slave in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dannypipe

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Called to commission a WB - 18/25 Heatslave.

Customer was out, so I called Worcester to get the figures.

I set up the air, and pump pressure, and couldn't get the CO2 anywhere close. Was aiming for 12.5 and could at best get to 10.

So called Worcester again, who told me to play with the air settings to try and get it right. Which I did, and could improve it and got up to 10, but no higher.

Going to call them again on Monday.

Anyone any thoughts?

BTW - I didn't check the nozzle was what it says it should be. I had already taken burner off to check end of nozzle as this boiler has been on uncommisioned for two months. (I was only called in as it is apparently locking out sporadically)

Settings were all wrong, but checked

That's over 10 bar! Bugger me! Knock it back to 8 bar or 130 psi. Then try adjusting the air.

Mid range setting with .55 nozle is 145psi co2 12. Air setting about 6. Try settings with air snorkel removed just in case they have buggered the flue seals. I woul do vo2 at 11 to 11.5

I just set the PSI to what WB told me. I did say to the lad working for me "christ that's 10bar".

I've left it at 150 psi, and air at 8 as they said they wanted it for the nozzle I quoted. I can't remember now what nozzle it was.

I wish I had removed the snorkel now.

I don't do enough oil work to be as experienced as you fellas, so I just did what I was told. At those settings, CO2 was about 8.5/9.

It's possible they have buggered the seals, as it was the customers dad who fitted the boiler,though I am told he is a retired plumber.

Do you think I should call Worcester to go look at it on warranty for the fella?

Most oil boilers are set at mid range so if that is correct in this case you should have a .55 nozzle. The settings they have quoted are for the next size up. If you increase the air you decresse the co2 so if the air is 8 for co2 of 9 if you adjusted air down to about 6 you should see the co2 increase. Do this with air snorkel disconnected first. If the sesls have been bugheted and its essily done that would account for the earlier lockouts.

I do, yeah. Take the snorkel off first as kimbo said.

And do a smoke test before you stick your analyser in.

Cheers fellas.

I smoke tested it first.

My analyser is playing up. Dodgy connection on the probe. It's due in for calibration anyway, but can't be without it until next week.

So I was in the freezing rain, and the CO2 was just not shifting. Then kept going blank cos' of the dodgy connection, I put the air all the way up to 9 (doh) and saw pretty much no change. (I should have been turning air down).

So set it back to 8.

It's just come to me, it was a 0.65 nozzle.

Anyway, thanks a lot chaps.

Last edited:
I didn't have the manual to hand! Customer had locked it inside. So I quoted WB the nozzle and they gave me the settings.

I think you are right though.

It was definetly a Riello burner. That much I am sure about. I think I'll be popping back tomorrow to set the boiler up again.

Oh dear. Thanks again everyone.

thought you youngsters all had mobiles and ipads to look things up when manuals go missing

Didn't have the manual on my laptop. Plus it was dark and pi$$ing with rain!

Job is near you Billy! Only charged ÂŁ100.00

Also noticed, no fire valve, and soak away put in right next to the building. So will send an advisory on that. You think I shouldn't register it until he's put that straight?

Like I said :) and if no fire valve, I wouldnt sign it off for commissioning paperwork as its not iaw mfis or building regs

Last edited by a moderator:
BTW - Billy pricing up a Monster job. If and it's a big if, I get it. I will def' want you on board mate.

BTW - Billy pricing up a Monster job. If and it's a big if, I get it. I will def' want you on board mate.

I like to hear this, remember I'm no where near speedy and fit the apprentice role more than a full blown engineers still.

want me to pop along tomorrow?
Can use my analyser as yours is playing silly buggers and two heads can be better than one!

We were changing over oil tanks today for ali, steel bunded one! Lovely piece of kit.
i did not appreciate the 30 metre last minute trench i had to dig!

only 100!! I'll have to put my prices up!

I wouldnt be setting a wb at 12.5 co2. Heading for problems. Id want to see it a tad under 11.5.

LOL - I've PM'd you about the job mate. As for the boiler, I will have to call the bloke tomorrow to make sure he's home.

ÂŁ100 sounds expensive, but I was there two hours, and had my lad with me, who's cost me ÂŁ10 an hour. So with fuel, and registration fees, not a great earner. No idea how two hours went past, but they did. Probably dicking around trying to call WB twice, and checking the baffles, oh and waiting 20 mins for the customer!

Monster job? Tell us more............

House nearly 1000 square meters. New build. Full system, inc solar. UFH on ground floor, rad's on first/second. All zoned. Plus bathrooms. For me, that's a nice (monster) job.

In case you need it

a745b910c0899f76c6e00f530979de83.jpg

House nearly 1000 square meters. New build. Full system, inc solar. UFH on ground floor, rad's on first/second. All zoned. Plus bathrooms. For me, that's a nice (monster) job.
Sounds nice and relatively straight forward. If you have plans do you want me to see what I'd charge as a comparison?

I'm in Machynlleth Mid Wales, no intention of trying to steal your work!

Id have been worried that the paperwork wasnt there. If you are commissioning then you neex the benchmark. The benchmark is in the back of the mi's. I commission a few and if its not upto spec then its on the cd11 but still registered. Roll on mid january. No more commissioning. I aint re doing my oftec.

I waited 20 mins for him to arrive, and I filled in the Benchmark. I was soaked, so I wrote all down and will fill in the CD11 tomorrow and post it to him.

I don't know what to do re - registering it now. As I agree with Lame in a lot of ways.

With gas work, I don't ever commision other peoples installs, but as it seems par for the course with oil (I paid for commissioning for years) I have done a couple. Only one that's not been spot on to date. Would you believe it, the client is a builder!!?

All this talk of ÂŁ100 services, I go to about 1 at least every other month of an "engineer" that charges ÂŁ40 cash to do a service. I go because within 2 months tops they break down but he tells them he doesn't do fault finding, just services.

Im im yet to actually see what he does for that money. No new nozzle or fuel hose, doesn't take the baffles out and on new boilers doesn't clean the trap.

You ou must all see chancers like this as well?

One of the reasons I don't do a lot on the oil side, is that I don't carry the spares. You need to carry about ÂŁ250 worth of nozzles to turn up and have a a half decent chance of having the right one on board. New hoses too.

So if and when I service an oil boiler, I'll tend to pop in check what the nozzle is (normally by looking at the old one the previous engineer left) and then pop to the merchants and pick one up.

I prefer gas servicing if I'm totally honest. I charge a bit less, but it's easier.

If you don't check the baffles, change the hose, and nozzle, I think it's hardly worth it.

I'm hitting the sack. Knackered. Thanks everyone.

Don't know what to do now, regards registering it! Think I may pop back tomorrow. Billy, give me a bell, and we can meet there if you want. It's about ten minutes from your place.

Just text one of my lads as we fitted one last week in a pub. Said the CO2 was about 10.5 pre set but the pump pressure was way out, he adjusted that and it was fine. I think it may be printed wrong in the book for some of them though because he said there was an additional sheet of paper in the instructions with them all on.

Had abit more of a think about this!
18/25 upto 2012 had bentone burners.
after that they had riellos and a disk inside for setting but this should be in the same positions for all outputs on the 18/25

for a .65 es it should be 120 psi and 12% co2

i think they gave you the old versions info over the phone!

I've think you're right. It's annoying cos I won't get paid to go all the way back (an hour round trip) and it's worcester who have given me the wrong info. After I gave them all the correct info. Even gave them serial no of boiler, burner and nozzle.

So I think they should go back to put it right now. Effectively I have just been brought in to commission it and haven't been able to achieve the figures the manufacturer gave me.

Don't know your thoughts?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Worcester 18/25 Heat slave in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock