Search the forum,

Discuss Woodburning stove and gravity hot water in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

Andy

Hi,

I am new to this forum and this is my first post.
I am looking for some advice regarding the fitting of a vented indirect hot water cylinder to my boiler stove.
Unfortunately I was sold a cylinder that I was told was suitable for a gravity fed system when it wasn't loud bangs later and a leaking cylinder.
I now plan to get a cylinder with a 28mm coil/heat exchanger and 28mm fittings
The system comprises a multifuel boiler stove with 4 tappings off the boiler.
Two diagonal ones feed a series of rads using 22mm & 15mm copper pipe with a Danfoss pump.
The other pair of tappings comprise the gravity fed ho****er circuit with a cold feed to the bottom in 15mm copper and a 22mm vent to the top.
There is a 2.5 metre head of water from the header tank for this circuit - the dwelling is single storey cottage.
The hot water cylinder is higher up than the stove but obviously on the ground floor.
What I want know is this a reasonable/safe system?
There will be high and low level stats to turn off/turn on the pump.

Thanks for any advice

Andy

What happens when the pump fails or no electric, how you going to dissipate the heat?

What happens when the pump fails or no electric, how you going to dissipate the heat?

Hi SimonG,

I forgot to add that there will be a heat leak radiator fitted part way up the wall - so as to be higher than the stove and so enable gravity flow.
This will be always on and set so that it cannot be turned off.
Andy

As long as the 28mm primaries are very carefully installed to allow gravity flow & you have heat leak, it should be safe. I would like the feed pipe in 22mm.

I should add that the pipes should be well protected from freezing, especially in attic.

Last edited:
Hi Best,

Thanks for your reply. I will change the feed to 22mm, I was beginning to think that 15mm was perhaps too small.
The primaries are properly installed. Will be getting a cylinder made up with 28mm coil too.
Hopefully things will be OK then.

Andy

22mm to the heat leak rad (last 30mm in 15)connected top and bottom with lockshields, normally open zone valve operated by a cylinder stat, temp relief valve on the cylinder with discharge pipework as per part g of the building regs.

22mm to the heat leak rad (last 30mm in 15)connected top and bottom with lockshields, normally open zone valve operated by a cylinder stat, temp relief valve on the cylinder with discharge pipework as per part g of the building regs.

Don't see the point of 22mm to heat leak rad your reducing down to 15mm so no point mate imo

Don't see the point of 22mm to heat leak rad your reducing down to 15mm so no point mate imo

is whats specified by hetas. i guess its more important the further away the rad. If you can get a rad with 3/4 tapping then even better.

best to fit to hetas spec if building control is signing off.

Well if its what they spec then better to do it
No hetas regulations over here

Just building control bot they don't have a clue to be honest as long as ventilation is in that's it

22mm is to reduce frictional loss for gravity circulation rather than heat loading, I thought it was last 150mm in 15mm but could be wrong, been a while since I've looked at the books!

22mm is to reduce frictional loss for gravity circulation rather than heat loading, I thought it was last 150mm in 15mm but could be wrong, been a while since I've looked at the books!

you may be right Sam, i cant be bothered to check tho lol. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Woodburning stove and gravity hot water in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended floor. Pic 1 is inside porch, pex temporarily clipped to give an idea of pipe placement (ignore shoddy blockwork of booted cowboy builder!), Pic 2 is...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock