Search the forum,

Discuss wood pellet boilers - recommendations? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm doing a listed barn conversion and through a process of elimination seem to have arrived at the conclusion that a wood pellet boiler is the way to go. Approx 25kW to run underloor heating. Does anyone have any experience of these type of boilers they would care to share?

I thought someone better give you answer, even if I cant help.
I have never installed or know of anyone who has got a pellet boiler, but I am sure that there must be someone on here that has experiance with them.
My only concern of pellet boilers would be the cost of the fuel, Not a problem if yer buying in bulk and you have room for bulk storage but if your buying it by the ton in 25 k bags it can be very expensive

Have you considered a 25Kw air source heat pump

Last edited:
I've spent hours - no days reading! up on ground and air source heat pumps and talking to sales people and a few installers. They are a great idea if you can minimise heat losses from the building but as a listed building that is difficult. We have space for an underground loop for a GSHP and no near neighbour to annoy with an ASHP but the comments I have seen from others is that electricity bills can be horrendous. Wood pellets are pretty good as an option so long as you have bulk storage and in that respect we are talking 12 cubic metres for about 7 tonnes of pellets. I can just about make that. Wood pellets also come under the RHI (to be confirmed) whereby the pellets cost about 4.5p per kW and RHI pays out 9p per kW which helps offset the capital cost of the boiler over 10 years which seems reasonable to me. There are now a range of boilers from £6 to £20k hence the desire to get some input from those in the know.

I would find out which type of wood pellet is available locally and source a boiler to suit you don't want to pay extortionate delivery charges or even have to import them!!!

I am starting to look at these myself for my next house (hopefully)
One thing I read somewhere was you have to watch the bulk loads because, if you dont keep it completely dry it blocks the feed system up !

If your looking for a boiler that will last and needs very little maintenance
It has to be a kwb wood pellet boiler
They are the dogs
Expensive but it is true you pay for what you get

Fortunately there is a new company making pellets only 6 miles away from me so that is handy but they currently only want to deliver big loads like 7 tonnes which is a bit more than ideal as I reckon on only burning 5 tonnes a year. The pellets do need to be kept dry and apart from sticking if they get damp they don't burn so efficiently but keeping things dry should be achievable given good container design. I'll take a look at KWB.

I am looking at KWB Easifire at moment, got good recommendations, you want to say how much you paid for your boiler, I am being quoted 9K euro just for boiler, pellet feed system and comission extra. We sometimes feel a bit ripped off in Ireland.

9k Euro seems about right for a good boiler- most are a lot more expensive, one or two cheaper. The poor £ to Euro rate means high prices in the UK now as most boilers are from Europe. You can get the Baxi pellet boiler cheaper and it seems to have a good spec for less than £7k. Pellet stores and conveyor bump up the price and don't forget you may also need a thermal store for another £2k. So overall I reckon you will do well to get a system installed for less than £15k.

I've also been looking at Solarfocus Therminator II which can take logs as well as pellets and a system quote including installation, boiler + Flue + thermal store + conveyor and 6 to 9 tonne pellet store came out at just under £22k.

Still it cost my son £4k to just have a new gas boiler installed in his London flat and that was a simple swap with boiler and controls coming out at less than £1k which gives a £3k installation fee for less than 3 days work. A rip-off under the name of "closed shop restrictive practices" safety?

Unfortunately wood pellet boilers are still expensive as the market is small but it seems to be evolving and I was unaware of the new KWB so thanks for that!

Yes am impressed with KWB spec and installer I have known for some years has been selling and installing wood pellet boilers here in south east Ireland for 15 years, he only sells Austrian boilers for obvious reasons. Getting my unemployed ex construction worker nephew to quote for building insulated pellet and boiler store which I expect to come in at an awful lot less than €2k, or he will have very upset favourite auntie to deal with! Will keep in touch overall costs. Am taking out 25yr old kerosene boiler, heating costs last winter with very conservative usage €2,300, so working on present day oil vs wood pellets expect to save about 800€ per year. Have elderly mum just moved in so payback should be quicker than above figures due to expected increase in heading demands this winter.

thanks for that endorsement, was coming around to same opinion myself

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to wood pellet boilers - recommendations? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock