Search the forum,

Discuss Will a new van this year wipe out my tax bill for 2016? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phil

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
No good ever came of opening a brown envelope, I have tax bill that's about as much as a new van and my ten year old Combo is on its last legs.

It won't wipe out the bill you have to pay now. That will still have to be paid!
If you buy a new van outright, even if part is on finance you can claim tax relief on the full amount in the first year.

So.....lets say my tax bill is roughly 11 grand (2014), if I buy a new van this year for say 12 grand, I don't have a wopping bill and the start of 2017?

No.
If you buy a van for say £10,000 you can claim 20% of that ( £2000) or that could drop you out of some 40%.

No.
If you buy a van for say £10,000 you can claim 20% of that ( £2000) or that could drop you out of some 40%.

What does my accountant mean when he says its 100% tax deductible then?

A 10k van will mean you don't pay the tax on 10k of your profit, as your profit is now 10k less due to the van purchase. It doesn't mean you can deduct 10k off your tax bill.
So if you have made 30k this year for example and have to pay 6k in tax at 20%
you buy a 10k van and your profit would be 20k not 30k so now only 4k to pay in tax.

Last edited:
A 10k van will mean you don't pay the tax on 10k of your profit, as your profit is now 10k less due to the van purchase. It doesn't mean you can deduct 10k off your tax bill.
you buy a 10k van and your profit would be 20k not 30k so now only 4k to pay in tax.

Got it, that's the explanation I needed.

100% correct

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Will a new van this year wipe out my tax bill for 2016? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi Folks, advice needed here... I am a 51 yr old leak detection engineer/plumber 2 years into self employment which i am loving. To get going I bought a 61 plate transit which has been great but is now off the road for a few weeks at least - which now that i am established and making decent...
Replies
Views
Vaillant Ecotec Plus 832 boiler is 13 years old, 4 of which since we've been living there, started to play up in last couple of months. An engineer with very good reviews came round and says it will cost 700+VAT for 'replacement expansion vessel, pressure relief valve and diverter valve on...
Replies
Views
My daughter bought her first home and was hoping to convert to gas but its not available in the area, so thinking a boiler upgrade is the better way to go. Just after some advice and rough costs involved, is it worth getting a pressurised system installed and a new boiler and oil pump? Heating...
Replies
Views
Hi, We have a large Heatrea Sadia unvented hot water tank, not sure of the size in liters but its about 1600mm tall. The tank is around 3 years old now and was amazing when it was first installed. Around a year ago we had a problem with water dripping from the overflow pipe outside and we ended...
Replies
Views
Hi all I have a Vaillant eco boiler at a new house I moved into last week. It’s a combo boiler and the last boiler I had was old (and much easier to use!) This one keeps turning itself off. The hot water seems to work and is always warm. The heating also works but for random amounts of time...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock