Search the forum,

Discuss Why wouldn't you fit a new Boiler with a Magnetic Filter? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

I've just had new Boiler installed and noticed that they never put in a Magnetic Filter.

I thought that it was standard practice these days?

The installers we used on another installation put in a Magnaclean on the Heating return.

Thanks

Unless it's called for in the manufacturers instructions instructions it doesn't have to be fitted.

Doesn't mean that it's not good practice though.

Did you specify it before the job was completed and did the manufacturer state that one must be fitted? Don't forget there is an additional cost implication, could be the difference between securing the job and losing it to someone else.

Plus, if a system is adequately flushed and treated then any corrosion should be minimal and the need for a filter would be moot anyway

i dont feel a needto do so on a new system, normally do if it is just a boiler swap on an old system, makes for a longer lasting boiler

As above unless stated necessary in the Mi's you dont need to fit one but is best practice, as the customer if you expect one to be fitted you should state that at the time of the quote/estimate
although its not difficult to fit one after the install

Its building regs say one should be fitted , I advise customer to have one , but the odd one says no .

I have heard somewhere that it comes under the Building Regs on new installs.

They fitted one as standard on another full CH system that we had put in elsewhere.

The problem is that they didn't state that one was being supplied in the materials fee.

But they again, I don't really know what parts were supposed to be in there, apart from the number of rads and copper.

These things can be easily overlooked or assumed to be part of the complete package.

Should I ask them to install one before they commission the system?

Thanks

To the OP.
You just noticed they never put in a filter or did you neglect to notice it wasn't mentioned on the quote.

I have heard somewhere that it comes under the Building Regs on new installs.

They fitted one as standard on another full CH system that we had put in elsewhere.

The problem is that they didn't state that one was being supplied in the materials fee.

But they again, I don't really know what parts were supposed to be in there, apart from the number of rads and copper.

These things can be easily overlooked or assumed to be part of the complete package.

Should I ask them to install one before they commission the system?

Thanks

It will be very quick and easy to fit one if theres no water in the system yet, but there will be the added cost obviously but if theres water and Inhibitor In the system the drain down fit and re inhibit the system might cost a bit more

Not really. Sealed system drop the pressure and cut it in. 10 minutes work and no need to top up inhibitors as you only lost a few litres.
Not everyone will do that tho.

Please see the mfr recommendations below at the end...

NB. Bearing in mind that this a new complete new system with rads and pipes etc.

But, we've just the other CH system serviced in the other property, and that Magaclean had picked up quite a bit of sediment within 12 months. And that was a brand new installation, boiler, rads, and pipes.

The MFR instructions say.

▶ Remove a little water from the heating circuit.
▶ Check the appearance of the heating water.
▶ If you ascertain that it contains sedimentary materials,
you must desludge the system.
▶ Use a magnetic rod to check whether it contains magnetite
(iron oxide).
▶ If you ascertain that it contains magnetite, clean the system
and apply suitable corrosion-protection measures, or
fit a magnet filter.
▶ Check the pH value of the removed water at 25 °C.
▶ If the value is below 6.5 or above 8.5, clean the system
and treat the heating water.

Please see the mfr recommendations below at the end...

NB. Bearing in mind that this a new complete new system with rads and pipes etc.

But, we've just the other CH system serviced in the other property, and that Magaclean had picked up quite a bit of sediment within 12 months. And that was a brand new installation, boiler, rads, and pipes.

The MFR instructions say.

▶ Remove a little water from the heating circuit.
▶ Check the appearance of the heating water.
▶ If you ascertain that it contains sedimentary materials,
you must desludge the system.
▶ Use a magnetic rod to check whether it contains magnetite
(iron oxide).
▶ If you ascertain that it contains magnetite, clean the system
and apply suitable corrosion-protection measures, or
fit a magnet filter.
▶ Check the pH value of the removed water at 25 °C.
▶ If the value is below 6.5 or above 8.5, clean the system
and treat the heating water.

What's your point? Manufacturer's instructions say either clean and inhibit, OR fit a filter. Not a requirement to fit, but an option.

I generally fit one on every installation but if there is a budget I need to squeeze into then it would be one of the first things to go.

Did you get a few quotes/estimates?

Filter always goes down as a additional option on our quotes. Leaves it up to the customer to decide (never had a customer reject the filter). If it's just included in the price it may be the difference in actually getting the job. Imo i'd say it's not good practice to not even give the option for a filter.
I can see filters being standard practice in the future.

I'm with you on this one.. I have also read, and been told that it is a part of building regs.

Lol , cheers I thought I had gone daft , they seem to keep ading bits to part L .

I always fit them anyway , only once a customer said no .

I always fit one as they are required for extended warranty's. Its also the easiest way for some manufacturer's to walk away.
I've been to service boilers on a 1yr old property and found the filter has collected a fair bit of magnetite.

filter is a £100 option that is and never will be a part included within the boiler purchase!
if it were compulsory, then all boiler manufacturers would include one within the boiler to their own spec.
that also includes trv's and controls.
however, water softners have more requirement from the boiler manufaturers instructions to be fitted inline.

Don't think that is quite correct ! the part that complies with part L is the cleaner & Inhibitor. The filter is not yet part of building regs.

Screenshot_2016-03-27-20-40-50.jpg
The way I read it, 'Can also be fitted' not 'must be fitted' so not compulsory to fit unless MI's state so.

Don't think that is quite correct ! the part that complies with part L is the cleaner & Inhibitor. The filter is not yet part of building regs.

close enough to Devon, so we can both agree on this one and not fall into a trap set by cheeky merchants conning us into to fitting stuff that isnt needed :)

close enough to Devon, so we can both agree on this one and not fall into a trap set by cheeky merchants conning us into to fitting stuff that isnt needed :)

I'm still in Devon, but close enough to throw a stone over the river into the land of make believe ! :1eye:

I agree, as it's a bit of a grey area.

But it's supposed to be in recent update to the Part L Domestic and Heating regs.

Is it required or not?

Maybe I should speak to them to get the official word.

Part L is concerned with energy efficiency. systems must be cleaned in accordance with bs7593
Nowhere does it state in part L or 7593 how to powerflush or that a filter must be fitted.
Side note - its generally accepted a power flush device is the easiest way to clean, but you can use a hose on a tap if it cleans to the standard.
but nowhere does it state a powerflush must be done, it states cleaned thoroughly
And It is not mandatory to fit a filter either - even though some manufacturers may extend Guarantees or stipulate fitment.
The benchmarks ask what cleaner and inhibitor was used and if fitted what filter

In answer to above post - no it isnt and no it isnt and it isnt grey either
Download part L and 7593 and have a read lol

Last edited by a moderator:
this is a load of bull, take it away and just ask yourself what building regs state and the customer wants to pay!

they and no one can tell the customer what to spend if they dont want it.
it will never be a mandatory part of any regs. end of.

And dont believe what merchants say - most are failed used car salesmen...

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Why wouldn't you fit a new Boiler with a Magnetic Filter? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello, I am seeking some advice, I have a POTTERTON PROMAX 28 COMBI Boiler and I noticed yesterday that the water around the house is no longer warming up. The heat exchanger has been changed 6 months ago, so I do not believe it is that. Does anyone have any ideas on what it could be? Thanks
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I'm would like to extend an existing outside tap to another point in the garden. I'm about to pour a concrete patio and was hoping to run the water line underneath. There are existing drain (and who knows what) pipes running along the same wall so I'm nervous about digging too far...
Replies
Views
I was stupid enough not to check the position of the pipes under the tiles when installing a toilet and drilled right through the center of a 16 mm copper water pipe. I exposed the pipe by removing a ~30cm section of the plastic sleeve and a ~10 cm section of the pipe around the hole. Several...
Replies
Views
Hi. I need a new toilet supply line but don’t know the size type of the fitting at the shut off valve. It is not 3/8 compression. It is a plastic nut about the same size as the one going into the cistern but has a different thread. Attached is a photo. Can you advise. Thanks.
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock