Search the forum,

Discuss Why ptfe tape on compression fitting threads in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ive only used ptfe when the fitting just want stop weeping, as a mechanical fitting it shouldnt need additional ptfe or any other compound if it is installed properly, having said that i got some 22mm compression elbows from a back of beyond of merchants once and none of them would stop leaking without ptfe.

I worked with a lovely old guy about a month ago on an install. He uses boss white and hemp on compression fittings.....I guess old habits die hard !! Still, imagine being the home owner and getting the occasional mouth full of horses tail in your cup of tea!!!! Yuk
Are the new generation of equine critters WRAS approved these days !!!!!!!!???????

Last edited by a moderator:
Boss White and hemp must not be used for potable systems under water regs as its organic and can support microbial growth. Slic Tite or Hawk Blue are acceptable.

I use Boss White on all non-potable compression fittings and ptfe on potable.

Boss White and hemp must not be used for potable systems under water regs as its organic and can support microbial growth. Slic Tite or Hawk Blue are acceptable.

I use Boss White on all non-potable compression fittings and ptfe on potable.

Yep, i must admit i knew that it can't be used on drinking water, he was using it in an airing cupboard to fit a cylinder, etc.

Having said that, the customer now walks on all fours, has a thick mane of black hair down her neck....only answers to the name of Shergar !

Anybody had trouble with Danfoss TRV's lately?

Very shallow fitting depth and a very hard brass olive has resulted in the dreaded wet finger the day after around the pipe.

I always have to PTFE these olives now as three in a row leaking is a right pain.

As a apprentice for some strange reason i used PTFE on olives and i used to get the odd weap

When i turned a engineer, i started using jet blue and very very rarely get leaks!
Would be lost without jet blue! Best stuff ever!

As a apprentice for some strange reason i used PTFE on olives and i used to get the odd weap

When i turned a engineer, i started using jet blue and very very rarely get leaks!
Would be lost without jet blue! Best stuff ever!
perhaps you've got stronger wrists now:)

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

As far as I'm concerned the only time you need any extra sealant is if you are going onto old pipe or re using an old fitting. The last 4 jobs I've done have had no extra sealant used except for the rad valves that I've changed on the old pipework. 2 of these were unvented with no sealant used on any of the compression fittings and no tape used on threaded fittings, just a smear of loctite 577.

tape on rad valves don't need any on olives unless using old fittings, works for me

Anybody had trouble with Danfoss TRV's lately?

Very shallow fitting depth and a very hard brass olive has resulted in the dreaded wet finger the day after around the pipe.

I always have to PTFE these olives now as three in a row leaking is a right pain.

The danfoss are my TRV of choice but agree competely with what your saying, i change the olives but the thread on the valve is so shallow i spend ages trying to dig out a deeper olive. :nonod:

Why ever take the chance of a leak ? How long does it take to run a couple of rounds over an olive.

Conex olives are a bit deeper, so are good if you wanted to change the Danfoss olives. The olives supplied with Danfoss valves do need you to use a bit of force, but are okay if you use paste & anyhow, paste helps you tighten as it lubricates. Ptfe tape is not as good as paste for sealing olives.
My argument with anyone saying they don't use paste & have no leaks, is - what are all the joints without paste like in a few months & then a few years? Microscopic leaks I think, especially with poor quality fittings or olives.
Never use those olives that are flat, except having a very small tapered edge. Bin them, but if you do use them, use paste, or they leak a bit.

Last edited:
Never had a problem with any compressions other than the cheap Italian shyte.
If it is not leaking when you leave it, it won't be leaking next year.

Never had a problem with any compressions other than the cheap Italian shyte.
If it is not leaking when you leave it, it won't be leaking next year.

What I meant was, you can run your finger around a joint, or a piece of tissue, & it will be dry, but the joint could be leaking very very slightly. So slightly it virtually evaporates I guess. Then you get the white corrosion on lots of the nuts & rest of fittings in a few months/years. Looks terrible & the nuts are seized when you need to do a simple job.
Must admit, cheap Italian brass fittings are the worst for this, but will happen to some degree with others.

I fitted the heating in my house 23 years ago. I used no paste on the olives and none of the joints show any sign of leakage. It is a sealed system that has only ever needed topping up when the expansion vessel failed on the old boiler.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Why ptfe tape on compression fitting threads in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock