Search the forum,

Discuss Why ptfe tape on compression fitting threads in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
F

fredyflame

Could you tell me why I keep seeing tape round the threads of compression fittings all over the place where professionals must have fitted them?

Surely the seal is on the olive and if you tape up the thread you are working against that seal as the thread should never need to be water tight, or am I missing something?

As a DIYer I lightly paste the olive, never had a problem that a nip with the spanner didn't cure

Cheers

you shouldn't have any sort of tape on the threads at all as you correctly state the seal is on the olive. probably not professionals who went before, did you find any lost horse shoes?

Normally a sign of a diy'er imo, but with the influx of "plumbers" serving just a few weeks "time" at the multitude of training schools around the country this trade is being diluted to a handyman or diy occupation

Am I bitter? to right

^^ 100% agree with Eco. No "plumber" in the true sense of the word would do that. Pay your money take your chance or people need to get to know your local genuine tradesman which may be hard in a society where most don't know their next door neighbour

Just makes me giggle.

Water board round here are chronic serial offenders. Every joint on meter connections wrapped. Also every bg customer that's had a magnetic filter installed seems to be taped too

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

You normally see ptfe wrapped on the olive not on the thread, i only EVER do this if i am connecting a compression coupling on to poly-ork pipe or occasionally when i use a green ring on to very old copper pipe

i put on the thread on a magna clean , never ever liked meatl fittings going onto plastic , but that might just be me lol

there is no need to put PTFE tape on a olive as it is the olive which causes the fitting to be sealed Tight.

I've had to do it myself in the past, where someone before you has over compressed an olive, to such a point that they've compressed the copper pipe.

It isn't good practise. Then we've discussed putting jointing paste on olives, and the jury was split on that.

I vote for a sliver of paste on a gas olive and a turn of PTFE on water.

Jet blue on all. No need ever for ptfe unless re-using an existing compression connection

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Oh blimey, we're going to have this conversation again!! :yes:

Ha. I used to use a bit of Jet Blue on everything. However after the last thread on this subject I have been a bit braver and done some 'dry' joints. Not had any issues.

Years of habit though, and hard to break. If a bit of jointing compound flies down the pipe, it could knacker a new tap/ ruin a gas valve.

As I said in the last thread, to avoid this I would compress the fitting, undo it and paste the olive then re-insert. More time consuming but no danger of paste in the pipe work. If it's not vital to keep clean then I will just paste the bevel on the fitting and fit it.

when you tape the thread it stops any seepage dripping down the thread, then diverts it up hill so it comes out of the pipe end depending which way you want the water to drip out of.

if neither, then a thumb full of lsx wiped all around the fitting will stop it coming out altogether.
it worked for the guy who installed a boiler i took out the other week, maybe if all the 5 fittings including the gas were more than finger tight he may not have needed it?.

I've had to do it myself in the past, where someone before you has over compressed an olive, to such a point that they've compressed the copper pipe.

It isn't good practise. Then we've discussed putting jointing paste on olives, and the jury was split on that.

Totally agree Danny
And I use paste on olives

Only used when necessary. Always try to stick to MI when fitting new, anything to make it work on second hand.

Copper olives generally don't need anything on em but the brass ones always get a smear of paste after initial tightening. Based on bitter experience!

amen to that leelister6 have had a brass olive on 28mm zone valve start to weep after months while owner was on holiday always wrap a bit of ptfe on olives now, belt and braces

I only use paste on old copper tube (which might have a roughened surface) and never PTFE. PlumBlue or JetBlue is what I use, but B&Q do JetLube for £9.50 for 300g, Screwfix No Nonsense Jointing Compound £8 for 250g. Dear but a tub lasts a long time. Definitely not Boss Green - too lumpy and doesn't stick to pipework, you can't smear it on.

Shouldnt need ptfe or paste on a compression fitting unless its 28mm or above then i nip the joint loosen and put a dab of jet blue or boss white (heating only) on the olive and re-tighten.

Ptfe may be necessary on a old comp joint or over tightened one.

Only exception is chrome pipe i always use a dab of jet blue on comp chrome fittings.

Generally i try to avoid compression joints cos lets face they arent as reliable as sweated or even tectite fittings.

whats the big deal about ptfe'ing olives? if i dont like the connection it gets ptfe tape round the olive, peace of mind. surely its better to do it than not?

I jet blue every compression fitting/valve just habit I guess but very really get one passing. I hate boss green used to work for a firm that would supply Only boss green as a j/c could never get to grips with it! Alway ptfe magnaclean as well!

As Dannypipe said a fortnight ago, it's one of those you'll never get agreement on. I paste olives and use a twist of ptfe and paste if remaking an old compression joint.

At the end of the day it's all about what works for you to get the job done. For me it works and I'm happy.

there is no need to put PTFE tape on a olive as it is the olive which causes the fitting to be sealed Tight.
I find a wrap of ptfe round a olive going onto hep or speed fit plastic, helps prevents the fitting weeping.

I wonder if NASA use PTFE on the o-rings on their shuttle boosters. Maybe they could learn a thing or two from this thread. :lol:

This debate looks like that we are trying to establish the genderof the Angels: are they male or female?
The compression jointare a strong mechanical union, I personally won't use anything on the olive but I would only using the betterquality joint, expensive but won't gowrong at later date, maybe we have problem when trying to rush the job. Pipes in good condition, nice and clean,copper olives on copper pipes, pipes well aligned fully pushed in and one thingvery important is lubrication of the thread and nut with light oil.
I am a retired electronic engineer, did few years ofplumbing years ago worked a lot on refrigeration
Now you will call me DIYer.
Regards

Been using ptfe on compression olives for 10 years, can't remember ever having a leak ! My train of thought s why take the chance ? Imaging fitting a new heating system, flushing, refilling, adding inhibitor and then finding you've got a weep on on a rad valve ? What a waste of time and inhibitor !!!!

Hmm!

The original idea of using anything on a compression fitting was because the mating surfaces of both the olive (ring) and the fitting where not always a true smooth machined face and microscopic fault lines that let water pass where said to exist. The UK made fittings claim their machining is so good no jointing paste or tape to fill the imperfections is required. I always use paste however, because its easier to put on than PTFE. Saying that of course you have to go careful how you apply and none goes down the pipe.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Why ptfe tape on compression fitting threads in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock