Search the forum,

Discuss Why is it so hard to get in the trade! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

DAN1993

hi guys/girls my names Dan im 20 and im from south east kent.
Currently enrolled at college doing the city and guilds level2 tech certificate, unfortunately i was let down and couldnt do the nvq 2 as the employer i though was going to take me on before went back to being employed, not his fault but has obviously given me an issue of finding someone i can get working with.

I have made many phone calls, sent cvs, emails an dropped into every firm in my area but it would seem nobody is looking to take anyone on, im offering to help out how i can for free, times are clearly tough!

I have joined here to read as much as i can and to learn as much as i can but i know nothing can replace on the job experience.

Reading through the forum its clear many people are in a similar situation to myself and desperate to have a chance of improving there skills and become an asset to a firm willing to give us a chance.

Its a shame that young people get a bad name these days when in fact alot of us want to make something happen but due to the government showing a complete lack of support to its own people its made so hard to get yourself a chance.

If any of you guys have any advice how i can get started with a firm then id appreciate it as iv tried so hard but seem to be getting nowhere,

cheers

because we are all making so much money and want to keep it to ourself. :)

Seriously though Dan, welcome to the forum, have a use of the search function for similar threads, plenty of reading material on the subject.

I sent of a few letters to local company's and got lucky I guess.

Only takes one person to say yes so don't give up, having own transport definitely helps

hi buddy cheers! yeah as i say iv read through and im not the only one lol, just got to keep trying and hopefully my determination will get me somewhere.

If you think it's hard getting into the trade, you want to see how hard it is to get out!

Keep your chin up and keep at it, if you want it that bad it will happen eventually. All the best.

Hmm sadly i don't do any work near you at all.

free help is a good incentive to get experiance.
past that try to meet engineers in person

yeah i could see you were in Maidstone other side of the county!

I asked a few lads down the local merchants and put a flyer up basically anything i can...

Good luck with your search Dan, keep trying!

welcome to the forum Dan ,
If you only new how hard is some time to win Jobs you will not be bothered entering the system but focusing on something else unless your dad has had a Pluming company going for years but then you would not have struggle to get in to the trade ....

Personal advice do a research your self for where will be demand for work force in the next 10 -20 years and get on with that ! Plumbing game is going down hill at the moment

Welcome to the forum dan. My advise for what it's worth is perseverance is the key mate. Contact every local company and a few further afield. Email them, write to them, call them. Offer them a free trial period to show them how you can benefit the company. Stick with it!

A lot depends on the guy you work with training ?
When I did my gas the guy I worked with would not hear of me working for free he always made sure I had jobs to do that kept me busy then showed me the gas work .
A lot of it is give and take as I taught him a lot about building and roofing works he learnt too !
I still earn the most on an excavator when I work for him as he thinks that is black magic !

Last edited by a moderator:
If you only new how hard is some time to win Jobs you will not be bothered entering the system but focusing on something else unless your dad has had a Pluming company going for years but then you would not have struggle to get in to the trade ....

Personal advice do a research your self for where will be demand for work force in the next 10 -20 years and get on with that ! Plumbing game is going down hill at the moment

I think your bang on there Stan, it's alright for guys that are established and self employed. I wouldn't go into it if I had my time again.

thanks for the advice im aware that the construction industry is on its knees.
do you think that it will be like this is 5 years?
iv always wanted to learn a trade, have a skill for life lets hope things pick up!

Welcome to the forum dan. My advise for what it's worth is perseverance is the key mate. Contact every local company and a few further afield. Email them, write to them, call them. Offer them a free trial period to show them how you can benefit the company. Stick with it!

cheers bud appreciate it! you bet i am! hopefully i can get a chance

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Why is it so hard to get in the trade! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, My current hot water system needs to be replaced. Anyone got any suggestions or can recommend any plumbers around Derrimut area that won't rip me off? An office guy recommended me to apply for government rebates and get it installed through timetosave.com.au. How reliable is this...
Replies
Views
My son has an apprenticeship interview for to become a plumber and heating engineer. The have said there will be a multiple choice exam for this for suitability. The thing is my son panics during tests/exams. Is there any book I can buy him to practice the multiple choice test for the exam? What...
Replies
Views
We are from Alberta, and I own an electrical company. I have been asked by a BC Mechanical P. Eng. to install an emergency STOP button at the man-door to the boiler room. It's intent is to 'halt' the operation of the boilers in the room should there be an emergency. He is demanding that I do...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
I was stupid enough not to check the position of the pipes under the tiles when installing a toilet and drilled right through the center of a 16 mm copper water pipe. I exposed the pipe by removing a ~30cm section of the plastic sleeve and a ~10 cm section of the pipe around the hole. Several...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock