Search the forum,

Discuss why have a FGA acs assement in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

garrythegasman

why have a acs element on fgas. when there is no requirment to own a calibrated analayser to be on the gas safe register

because some people do not need to own one and gas safe has yet to buy shares in a FGA company :)

is not this the next step ie gas safe requiring rgi to own a fga

there are plenty of engineers that do not require a FGA, so why should they need to buy one? Many engineers just install boilers/heating for a living and would not need to use one.

So can you install a boiler and commission it without a fga?

yes, unless the manufactures instructions requires it in the installation and commissioning instructions. Most dont.

i dont use one as i install boilers every day, not part of the commisioning process, but i do have CPA1 and i have used them when servicing

The thing is if you take CEN1 you're deemed as competent to work on boilers. No differentiation is made between installing and servicing so you need to have the necessary skill set for both activities. Most (if not all) modern boilers require the use of a FGA to carry out the necessary checks for the annual service.

There are also some boilers where the manufacturer asks for FGA as part of the commissioning procedure. If you convert a boiler from NG to LPG it's normal to need a FGA to set it up correctly.

How about a flue too close to an opening where it could be classified NTCS or AR depending if there is any ingress of POCs. You can't check this without a FGA although I feel that CPA1 is woefully inadequate in the respect of checking ambient CO.

I think that knowing how to use a FGA is important with modern appliances but I feel that the way the requirement has been implemented has been rushed and the CPA1 qualification should have been built into CCN1 and for it to become a legal requirement 5 years after it was first incorporated.

vokera unicas dont require a fga, unless gas valve is altered!! so commisioning not require fga.. although i know most of u look down on easyinstall vokeras. :( x

There's plenty of boilers that don't need FGA on installation. Ideal, Worcester, Baxi to name a few.

I can not see you can't have one, gas safe have realised its a tool that is needed to commission today boilers on top of all the other testing requirements, it's also required for servicing on some boilers, it also can help tell you there is a problem with a boiler. My only complaint is more money we have to pay out, more laws we have to stick to, without really increasing our income, let's face facts for what we do as gas installers, signing our names to all those appliances at property's we should all be on a fantastic wage, but times are hard,

I prefer to use a fga on all service / repairs on A rated boilers , but I do feel that gas safe will want to make it a requirment, i just wanted to hear other rgi views . ps i am really chuffed to be a junior

As ive said before, the only people making real money in the gas industry these days are the training centres and the people that we have to register with. If you turned round to a joiner and said: now then mr tradesman you spend 5 years of your life training in your profession and then we will force you back into college every 5 years and charge you a small ransom for the privlege of it and then add a steady stream of extra qualifications over your working life to extract more of your hard earned money from you but at least we will smile at you whilst we take your money." he would wrap knock you unconcious with his 6 foot spirit and say "on your bike". Rant over.:cuss:

To bloody right he would, our trade has been blead time after time and they just keep going.

I can not see you can't have one, gas safe have realised its a tool that is needed to commission today boilers on top of all the other testing requirements

It solely depends on what work you do. If you only install appliances that do not require there use in the commissioning then why would you need to buy one? remember there are hundreds of engineers that only ever fit heatings on contract work. If you had 100 installers only fitting these types of appliances then you would not want to have to buy 100 FGA to just sit in the back of the vans never getting used.

My first company analyser sat in the back of my van for 2 years and i never put the batterys in the thing, never turned it on. What a waste. Now i work for my self and do all manner of job's that may require a FGA's use so i own one.

you dont need to buy petrol if you only own a push bike.

Let me clear something up here.
Looking at the past few posts there are individuals that believe you can work on a zero governed boiler, wither it being commissioning or servicing without having to carry out a FGA to confirm safe operation?
Am I picking this up right?

I thought you had to have this by April, to install boilers, flueless fires etc because that is the it's going.

as long as our gas rate and inlet pressure is ok then its fine, some boilers dont require it commisioning but they do servicing. Think it gives inaccurate readings as the burner is new

So you dodge boilers that don't need it that isn't realistic.

i analyse every new boiler i fit and commission but i have not come across a boiler in recent memory that requires the use of an analyser on commissioning in its instructions?

please name some?

Most of the boilers i install require a FGA to commission properly, plus the fact I don't trust factory set boilers, seen too many out of spec. I use mine religiously but then again, we used to use them in the commercial side for years. I wouldn't like to stand up in court and state that I didn't need one to install a boiler, you might be right but personally I wouldn't like to take the chance. Its more a piece of mind with me.

Looking back, most of the boilers i install DONT require a FGA. I just do it as a matter of course. Sorry got confused between installation instructions/ servicing & benchmark.

Looking back, most of the boilers i install DONT require a FGA. I just do it as a matter of course. Sorry got confused between installation instructions/ servicing & benchmark.

All the dom boilers I've done. Only ever FGA 1. That was an LPG converted one

All the others. Never!

Btw. This is only commission not service

not from the 1st of april

you dont need an analyser on 01-04-12, but you do need a ticket saying you are competant to use one from then, but in reality you could do your job properly and fully for the 5yr life of the ticket and NEVER touch an analyser

As ive said before, the only people making real money in the gas industry these days are the training centres and the people that we have to register with. If you turned round to a joiner and said: now then mr tradesman you spend 5 years of your life training in your profession and then we will force you back into college every 5 years and charge you a small ransom for the privlege of it and then add a steady stream of extra qualifications over your working life to extract more of your hard earned money from you but at least we will smile at you whilst we take your money." he would wrap knock you unconcious with his 6 foot spirit and say "on your bike". Rant over.:cuss:

do you actually know anyone who has access to financial records of any training centres? who says they are making money? we charge £40 (+£45 cert fee) plus VAT for CPA assessment (ok we assess 3 or 4 at a time for a 1.5hr assessment, out of the £40 i print the training notes and exam papers, wages and running costs, it aint buying me my jag this year

Let me clear something up here.
Looking at the past few posts there are individuals that believe you can work on a zero governed boiler, wither it being commissioning or servicing without having to carry out a FGA to confirm safe operation?
Am I picking this up right?

you arent picking up what some are saying, some are quite rightly saying if you only INSTALL certain boilers you dont need an analyser, but if you service or repair you do,

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to why have a FGA acs assement in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock