Search the forum,

Discuss why did you want or get into plumbing? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

moony

this is just personal interest of mine.

Still trying to work out why! I want to emigrate so needed a different trade to the one I was in.

Was tempted with the thousands answer but in all honesty it was the first two.

Wondering why I didn't start this 10 years ago as bending under sinks was much easier back in those days.

Still trying to work out why! I want to emigrate so needed a different trade to the one I was in.

What other trade was that, safe cracking, drug running, professional assasin,mafia boss or something really low like a Banker or MP :D

I put my name down as a fruitier,do'nt know what happened

One day was picking plums ,the next, clearing blocked drains caused by peoples dirty bums,all because of some 'B' :p;)

Left school in 1978 and went to careers office, 2 jobs available going to sea on the trawlers or apprentice plumber. Glad I went for the plumber.

I think a few of the options are true for me . I belived the hype and I also love doing it , I love working for myself , It is definateley not as monotonous as an office job. I also needed a challenge as I felt like my life had a lack of motivation.

In 2005, there was all this hype about shortage of plumbers and how plumbers are minting it at ÂŁ400+ per day in media etc. So i did a level 1 NOCN plumbing course so i dont get left behind, set up a domestic plumbing company with a fellow student, but were not getting enough customers to keep our heads above water. So packed it all up and became a bus driver, but 5 years later i've got a plumbing buzz back again, and now really want to get back in plumbing again, as i really want to make a career out of it, i gone back to college and re-started level 1 again by getting the City & Guilds 6271 level one certificate and will be doing level 2 in september in the meantime so that i can concentrate fully on my plumbing career i am driving taxis, as this give's me more flexibility too.

Last edited by a moderator:
left high school wanting to be an aeronautical engineer, studied engineering for 3 years then changed my mind, took a year out then back to college to do plumbing, got qualified and have now been in the trade for bout 4 years now and loving it, well apart from the money side lol but hey money aint everything.

at 16 i was a high achiever at school, ranked one of the best chess players in the county aged 11, table tennis at 15. went to try the pit after all my family worked there, but they wouldnt have me. at school i passed entry exams for trinity house, college, hull, to train as harbour pilot (think wages back then 30 years ago was around ÂŁ55k), but after seeing the berry and brief cases you had to have, i told them to stuff it.
went to my uncles building and plumbing firm for a couple of years then bogged of to canada for a couple of months to find i had lost me job (families eh, no respect).
then went to pub chain and was maintenance plumber for 3 years.
then worked for mi5 for a while, computer programmer for 4 years, member of mensa, then got a bout of lead poisoning so a few damaged brain cells. shopfitting for 10 years,and back to plumbing, (few other businesses in between).
wish i was a harbour pilot now....

Last edited by a moderator:
i had no idea what i wanted to be when i left school i just didnt want to work for the family driving lorries as i didnt like the early starts or the staying away so got an apprentiship to be a plumber cos it meant id be at colledge one day a week with my mate who was also plumbing
it was a great trade back then plumber tended to do anything that no one else was interested in 9i was working for a small building co )we did roofs both lead and slate plumbing both sites and jobbing,glazing, fixing anything metal cleaning ductwork in the many cafes round piccadilly swam in the serpentine wandered round thewest end shops it realy was great back then now its all logged on computer where you are everythings premade and easy to fit with little skill your not allowed to whistle at the girls or take your shirt of while workin on the scaffolds or even go for a lunch time pint the best days in the building trade are gone or is that just my best days are gone ?who knows. As soon as my appretiship was finished i was of to get better money worked for various companies then for my self for ten years the i worked in loose partnership with two other plumbers now im back to a bit of local jobbing alone cant say i enjoy it much now working alone is lonley but from what i can see on most loindon sites i wouldnt speak the right languges so wouldnt be better of there and jobbing companies all work single hande now

a few weeks before my 16th birthday (in 1977) my dad got me an apprenticeship with a butcher who worked in the same Littlewoods store as him, i needed to start immediately but the school wouldnt let me leave on my 16th birthday (on November 24th) i had to stay on till the christmas break, so i lost the job, was raging at the time, a few weeks after my birthday i went into the careers office (on my suzuki AP50 moped, not related, but good memory) just as i was leaving the guy came in and asked if i would like to be a plumber as he had literally came from the plumbers yard across the road and the boss had agreed to take someone on via the YOP scheme, (bonus point if you know what YOP was) he phoned over then sent me across the road for an interview, the boss told me he wanted someone who was honest, hard working and would stick at it, and he would give me a start if i gave him a shot of my moped as he used to have motorbikes when he was younger, and that was it, i'm 48 now and have always worked as a plumber, then gas, then gas manager/ part time assessor, now full time plumbing and gas lecturer, i have absolutely loved my career in plumbing and wouldnt change it for anything, and would highly recommend it to anyone who will work hard.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to why did you want or get into plumbing? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock