Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Checkout our Plumbers Insurance area - heavily discounted Public Liability Insurance and Van Insurance specifically designed for plumbers.

Discuss Why are all the components for a solar system so expensive ? in the Renewable Energy area at UKPlumbersForums.co.uk.

1. Rob Foster

Rob Foster Member

I am thinking of putting together a system from a roof panel to a second coil in the cylinder but all the bits in the BES book are way more than ordinary fittings. As the solar liquid is chemically stabilised surely ordinary fittings and pipe will be ok. Or am I missing something here ?

2. ShaunCorbs

ShaunCorbs S. Mod Trusted Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

There designed for extreme temp so yea

• Like Like x 1
  3. townfanjon

townfanjon Trusted Plumber GSR

As above ^^^ they get to incredible temps , I dont know you are going to put an extra coil in your cylinder though.
    Not a DIY job.

4. snowhead

snowhead Well-Known Member

If there is already a coil in the cylinder, make sure the cylinder is a Solar rated one.
    Research Dedicated Solar volume, which if you were qualified to install cylinders, you'd already know about.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. bogrodder

bogrodder GSR

Ordinary everyday plumbing fittings made with non ferrous metals can be used, but it’s very wise you dont use endfeed fittings from the solar panel to about 2 metres away/ down, as if the pump fails it can get very hot ( stagnation)and melt solder.

• Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2018
  6. ShaunCorbs

cant use soldered at all mate

• Like Like x 2
  7. bogrodder

bogrodder GSR

Wanna bet?

• Funny Funny x 1
  8. ShaunCorbs

brazing doesnt count

• Like Like x 1
  9. bogrodder

bogrodder GSR

Lol, spoil sport

10. bogrodder

bogrodder GSR

No, you have a good point Shaun and I forgot to add that ideally use compression fittings or silver solder fittings only.

11. townfanjon

Compression , liners if poss and brass olives

• Like Like x 2
  12. bogrodder

bogrodder GSR

And a smidge of stag wellseal for good measure

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. Rob Foster

Rob Foster Member

Thank you for your replies so far. Brazing is no problem and I can use my cleaned gas fittings I have left over from my hospital medi gas installation days. There is a coil conversion for the immersion boss on the cylinder I have seen and use the comp fittings as you suggest. Bingo - or is it ?
    I have my own solar thermal panels. Anymore suggestion positive or otherwise ?

14. townfanjon

Coil conversion going in through an immersion heater boss , shakes his head , what about pump , expanssion vessel , system pressure , controller , system linked to boiler etc etc etc .

My post above said not a diy job , it is turning into one , I am out !!

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. snowhead

snowhead Well-Known Member