Search the forum,

Discuss Whole New Solid Fuel Heating - Thermosyphon Height & Thermal Store Size? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Simon1

Hello!

I am renovating a cottage and am starting from scratch with the heating system because the original boiler consisted a massive iron tank with 5 immersion heaters in it, which cost a fortune to run and wasn't all that effective, and the radiator circuit is very very old and needs to be replaced.

I want to have a multifuel stove in the living room heating a thermal store for the radiators and mains hot water. I have had a look at DPS Heatweb and think they look like the sort of thing I am after. I also think I have settled on the Hunter 14 wrap-around boiler stove.

Now I am only at the beginning of my research and plan to do a hell of a lot more before I do anything, but I already have a couple of questions and would be extremely grateful for any assistance people can give.

Thermosyphon - The upstairs of the cottage, where the cylinder would ideally go, has sloping ceilings and space is at a massive premium. However, in the lean-to kitchen, the other side of the wall where the stove would go, the ceiling height is a couple of feet higher so it would be possible to put the thermal store there with the bottom of the thermal store above the top level of the stove - by how much will depend on what size/shape store. I have looked all over the Internet to try and get a definitive answer on 'how far above the stove does a heat store need to be for a thermosyphon to work with a 28mm pipe' and I am just not 100% sure.

The thermal store would be adjacent to the stove so there would be no pipe run between the two to slow things down. The bottom of the thermal store would be a minimum of the height of the stove and possibly a foot or so higher if I went for a slightly wider and shorter tank.

Am I going to be able to get a good enough flow from this sort of setup? I currently have a back-boiler in an aga and a small hot water tank upstairs, so only around 2 feet higher than this suggested setup and that works really well on the thermosyphon with 28mm pipe, so my initial thoughts on this are that there would be enough flow.

Size of Thermal Store - Secondly, how big a thermal store would people suggest? In my old house I had what was probably a 180ltr tank, but that was on a gas boiler and was easy for the boiler to flick on and top it up as required. With a stove my thoughts are it is a balance between not having too small a tank that after the stove goes out you use the water up in 5 mins, way before you are thinking about stoking the stove up again, against having a massive tank which uses a lot of fuel to get up to heat, most of which you never get around to using. Is this right or is it not possible to go too big with a thermal store as hot water rises etc...? I think the space in the kitchen for the store is going to limit me to somewhere between 200L and 300L though.

That's it for now. I have plenty of other questions but these two are fundamental ones and it would be very grateful to get some comments back so I can try and piece this together.

I have some drawings, photos and diagrams I can upload in order to paint a clearer picture which I will try to get on shortly.

Thanks in advance.

Simon.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi. Providing the runs for F&R are vertical, no problem. If you have horizontal runs they have a major effect on gravity circulation.

Thanks for that. There would probably just be a couple of feet where it goes from the stove and through the wall, but otherwise straight.

Cheers!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Whole New Solid Fuel Heating - Thermosyphon Height & Thermal Store Size? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello, I am seeking some advice, I have a POTTERTON PROMAX 28 COMBI Boiler and I noticed yesterday that the water around the house is no longer warming up. The heat exchanger has been changed 6 months ago, so I do not believe it is that. Does anyone have any ideas on what it could be? Thanks
Replies
Views
Hi, I have a Worcester 28i junior boiler that has started to lose pressure, only when using the central heating. When using hot water I have no issue, however, when running the heating the pressure drops. Im looking for some ideas on what could be causing this. I have no sign of pipe leaks...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Ideal Logic 24, Previous problem was that the hot water was only cold or barely warm if the heating was in use. If heating was off and boiler cold then would get hot water most of the time. Changing the flow cartridge about 2 years ago (when I moved in) solved this problem enough to suffer it as...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone, Looking for a bit of advice, recently went to a job where heating was operating when called for however not for the hot water. I have changed the 3 port actuator Honeywell head however this doesn’t seem to have solved the issue, does this mean that the programmer is faulty? Or is...
Replies
Views
Every two weeks or so I have to go and top up the system because the hot taps are running cold. Boiler display is flashing 0.6 bar and I fill up to 1.3. I've had an engineer look inside the boiler and he can't see anything wrong. I've checked the pipes all over the house and cannot see any...
Replies
Views
P
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock