Search the forum,

Discuss Who has SDS max..? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phil

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Been lusting after one of these beasts, I could have done with something big and heavy a few weeks ago on a job. Everynow and then I have a job where it would have been really useful but can't bring myself to stump up £400. I never hire tools unless a gun is put to my head.

Who has one and do you use it instead of a normal SDS+?

I also have both. Makita. Both 110v
as above doesn't get used often but when it does it never disappoints.

I had my trusty MAkita HR4000C nicked quite recently which was a rotary demo drill, a bit of a lump to carry around but when you need it you're glad to have or in my case had it.

For less than £200 you should be able to find something second hand.

for the price this is good value and does the job imo Titan TTB280DRH 15.5kg Breaker 230V | NoLinkingToThis

I have a few drill/breakers lying around.
4 hilti's (Te56, Te72 and 2 x Te76)
a new Makita whatever it is,
an old Ryobi Industrial (makita) that takes 19mm hex and spline drill bits or tapers with an adaptor,
an old Spit 425 that takes 19mm hex and a triangular drill bit
an old kango 925 takes 19mm hex and tapers
and also a piece of junk (it really is bad) like the titan in the link but a different unknown brand (i got it for free with some stuff i bought) That takes a 17mm hex on steels and god knows what drill bits for all the good they do.

Never buy just a breaker, make sure it drills too and stick to sds max if you are buying one. Easier to get steels and bits.
Here is one to keep you eye on
Hilti TE72 hammer drill | eBay

I've got a dewalt sds max. I paid about £100 for it brand new off a private eBay auction. It was listed as sold as seen. When I got it the plug was wired incorrectly and was making the case/ gearbox live, so the person selling it must have thought it was faulty LOL

You won't be disappointed with any decent brand tbh and you will wonder why you bothered smoking out you sds+ drill on larger holes in the past. eBay is prob the cheapest place to get bits, buy a decent brand of bit like Bosch, desalt or if you can afford them hilti.

Last edited:
I've got a metabo sds max, rarely gets used tbh. Are you sure high need one?

Im currently looking at buying a sds max drill for drilling blow off, gas and condense holes. I use tct core bits upto 50mm and have recently burnt out my makita sds plus drill. Got my eye on a new dewalt 1 around £400 tho. What do you guys use for 50mm condense holes etc?

The core bit size below isnt big enough to push the elbow in the hole so i use 50mm

Im currently looking at buying a sds max drill for drilling blow off, gas and condense holes. I use tct core bits upto 50mm and have recently burnt out my makita sds plus drill. Got my eye on a new dewalt 1 around £400 tho. What do you guys use for 50mm condense holes etc?

Get yourself into the plumbers arms, there is info on there to buy a cracking Makita SDS max at half the price of the Dewalt. Click on Killy Bing's thread.
Its just one more thing your missing out on not being a Pub member.

The core bit size below isnt big enough to push the elbow in the hole so i use 50mm

Ive sent you a link for the sds max.

you would be better off getting a core drill and core bits for doing anything bigger than 30mm though!!

As above get in and have a look 15 of us purchased one of them got mine through next working day and put it straight to work.

but 50mm condensate what are you doing sleeveing the 1 1/2. I have never needed more then 1 1/4 for condense

No i use push fit inch and a quarter for condense and i make the hole bigger so the elbow goes into the wall. Will have a look at the link, also with the right drill and the tct core bits its loads quicker to get all your holes out than a core drill

No i use push fit inch and a quarter for condense and i make the hole bigger so the elbow goes into the wall. Will have a look at the link, also with the right drill and the tct core bits its loads quicker to get all your holes out than a core drill

Trouble is it murders whatever drill you are using.
sds drills arnt designed for coring, even with tct cores.

invest in a marcrist ddm3 and some marcrist 850 cores.
faster than tct and will last.

Sound will have a look, well this is why i was looking at the dewalt that goes up to 45mm. But the makita i have just burnt out has lasted 2 and a half years drilling 50mm holes lol and its only designed for upto 20. So i think the 1 you've sent me will be sound

Why not pilot then go in first inch with the 50mm then use a 38mm all the way through. Or use solvent weld :)

Good point dude but could never be bothered to change the bits over, the armeg 50mm tct bits are awesome when used with the right drill.

Good point dude but could never be bothered to change the bits over, the armeg 50mm tct bits are awesome when used with the right drill.

Yes but they make he'll of a mess when they break through!

Well my new sds max drill should be here tomorrow, cored out condense with brand new macrist core bit today and it took forever!! Any1 who says tct are no good must have never used 1!

Thats why i pilot first and drill from outside or take it off hammer when im near the end lol

They do, but I can never get that moment where you turn off the hammer quite right. Plus iff you do it near the top of the brickwork it loosens all the bricks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Who has SDS max..? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
The fittings below are for a mixer bar attached to a self contained shower. i.e not a wall. The attaching screws have snapped. I could get two new brackets, dismantle that existing one and start again or I could try and re attach via those screws, removing the broken ones from the plate and wall...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Copper pipes, I think its fair to say, is not what it used to be, the copper is getting thin while the cost is going up. Meanwhile, plastic Pushfit seems to be getting better and better, cost and convenience was always better, but now the quality is to, have we reached a stage where plastic will...
Replies
Views
I want to reconnect some outbuildings to an existing water supply. The supply pipe is old 22mm MDPE and buried for a fair distance so not going to dig it up and replace it 😬. Question is can I use normal 22mm plumbing push-fit connectors to make the connection as finding 22mm MDPE fittings...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock