Search the forum,

Discuss Who does the roof work?! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
W

westyvip

Im very interested in completing the solar thermal course and i was just after some general advice from existing engineers that offer this service! How do you got about fitting the roof panels? Especially if you work alone? Does a team of roofers fit the panels and you connect on in loft? Does the property require full scaffolding? Im especially interested as i like the technology but not overly keen on heights lol! I even try and avoid vertical flues if possible!!!! :p

Plumb center do a roof package, they have a team come in and fit panels pipe into roof and weather tight. I'm not a heights person so will be looking at that option. :)

The plumb center one is very expensive at over £800 for a few hours work there are a lot of roofing companies capable of doing this work and for a lot less money!

The plumb center one is very expensive at over £800 for a few hours work there are a lot of roofing companies capable of doing this work and for a lot less money!

It's finding a good, reliable, competent one in the area :)

Not sure but I think the Solar Trade Association have a list of roofers who do solar

Do my own, I'm a one man band so on Monday got a fellow plumber in to help, used 2 barilla flat plates, weigh 43kg and are 2m x1.4 I think, tied 2 ladders up to house and walked it up using the very handy carrying bars. Scaffold is just too much and if I got a roofing co in I'd make bugger all. Know it's not right but needs must. Looked at a tower scaffold with winch that the pc lads use £7k. Need to do a lot to justify that. If I get loads to do I'd buy it but not as work is at the minute. Might start usng evacuated tubes as a lot lighter to use but this needed fp as they are having pv alongside

The firm that i work for actually subby the roof work out to a chippy we use. The guy who does all our solar on the firm sometimes gives him a hand if need be and if its a really big job i help out aswell. We use scaffolding usually, unless its a small job then its a 3 tier and roof ladder combo.

I do it myself plus 1 other just use ladders most on new builds so usually a louder on site for integrated panels tubes are easy get a joiner to do tile work

Scaffold is just too much and if I got a roofing co in I'd make bugger all. Know it's not right but needs must.

@ eaton, how does this fit with your risk asesement and future MCS Audit? One of the things they are hot on is Health and Safety.

We ALWAYS use towers or scaffold (it doen'st cost a lot / job) as my roofer said 'you'll only fall one from this height'

Looking at a tower now for around £600 and a winch for £70. As for audit I've put on invoice scaffold was used on all jobs. How much are you paying for a scaffold??

Towers cost us £45/week to hire, no brainer, how that price? down to good neogtiation skills!

@eaton, and then people wonder why MCS exists, do one thing, invoice says another....

The risks from:
accident at height
incorrect use of ladders
not being covered by insurance because of wrong use of ladders...

This list goes on, simply not worth it are you aware of the number of serious accidents every week which involve ladders in the work place.
We don't do this type of work, BTW, but we even subcontract to roofer for vertical flues.

Hard when you start but when you are a long time in one place you can find it is mutually beneficial to work with other tradesmen. We give them work & they recommend us.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Who does the roof work?! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello Everyone Recently bereaved friend of mine is wanting to replace his 15 year old Combi. It is in the loft on the party wall of a semi ( pitched roof has three sloping sides). He asked his Gas Safe Service Engineer for a price to replace. Engineer said that existing vertical flue is too...
Replies
Views
Deleted member 120897
D
I am starting a large victorian renovation and it will involve, (amongst everything else) installation of an entirely new heating and plumbing system. Plumbing, like most trades, seems to have two main aspects; design and installation. The installation part on my last two projects was painful...
Replies
Views
I have a Neo-Angle shower tray, … imagine an oblong with corner cut at 45 degree It’s 1.2m x 0.9m The ‘Roman’ shower door has failed, the only shower door that fits this tray is a now a ‘Roman’ glass frameless style. Ordered it and I have hit a problem Installation is by fixing the vertical...
Replies
Views
We live in a 1980s four-bedroom detached house. The time has come for new central heating. The current system is a mild revision of the original heating installed when the house was built, and this revision was largely to replace a life-expired boiler: non-condensing fan flue boiler open...
Replies
Views
Morning all, as always can never find an exact existing thread / discussion where I don't feel like I'm making one too many assumptions. Can I get a quick sense check on the below, always wanting to work 1 step ahead, eventually planning to add an en-suite to my existing loft conversion. Got...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock