Search the forum,

Discuss Who can install underground pipework for an LPG bottle install? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

Archie Tek

I'm client's PM for a new house build by a German kit house company. No gas supply to the house as heating is by ASHP. Client wants a gas hob, which will be the only gas applicance in the house.

I have suggested using LPG bottles - 2 19Kg bottles on an auto changeover valve (plus UPSO?) should see them through many months of cooking, so no need for a bulk tank.

Kit house company say will supply and fit pipework from point of connection with hob to the point it leaves the house. They say the remaining distance to the bottles is the client's problem and that it 'should be done by the LPG supplier'.

I've read around the subject and it seems this maybe true for bulk tank installs only and that a GS reg'd plumber with an LPG cert should be able to install the underground pipework. Can anyone confirm this for me?

Many thanks.

tbh i would get a lpg guy out to install the lot, least you know it comply s with gas regs for the uk

maybe post in here with your location

[DLMURL="http://www.ukplumbersforums.co.uk/im-looking-plumber-gas-engineer/"]I'm looking for a Plumber or Gas Engineer[/DLMURL]

Hi Shaun,

thanks for the quick reply. I'm afraid the Germans are very particular about who works inside the house i.e. only their installers. I'm assuming he is probably a UK based contractor (the sparky is) with an LGP certificate, so I'd like him to finish the job and run the pipes all the way to the bottles. They are very keen to palm stuff off on the client if they think they can get away with it!

Hi Shaun,

thanks for the quick reply. I'm afraid the Germans are very particular about who works inside the house i.e. only their installers. I'm assuming he is probably a UK based contractor (the sparky is) with an LGP certificate, so I'd like him to finish the job and run the pipes all the way to the bottles. They are very keen to palm stuff off on the client if they think they can get away with it!

fair enough if they have but you can double check by phoning gas safe if you want,

and i would think there would be no underground pipework as normally the bottles are place on the side of a house close to the point of use (within reason)

(never done a kit house)

I take it the house is being built over here?

If so gas regs trump picky Germans!

Who won the war anyway!

I take it the house is being built over here?

If so gas regs trump picky Germans!

Who won the war anyway!

Panels constructed in Germany and put up over here. Sparky is a Part P reg'd Brit, so hoping gas installer is same and suitably reg'd.

fair enough if they have but you can double check by phoning gas safe if you want,

and i would think there would be no underground pipework as normally the bottles are place on the side of a house close to the point of use (within reason)

(never done a kit house)

Thanks, will call them in the morning.

Update - According to Gas Safe technical help a reg'd installer should be able to install underground pipes (20mm yellow PE from LPG bottles to house). The contractor's installer who is gas safe reg'd with LPG cert says he is not certified to install the underground pipes.

Fed up with this now. Should be simple.

Update - According to Gas Safe technical help a reg'd installer should be able to install underground pipes (20mm yellow PE from LPG bottles to house). The contractor's installer who is gas safe reg'd with LPG cert says he is not certified to install the underground pipes.

Fed up with this now. Should be simple.

IF there are only the transitional joints at each end, he'll be fine. IF the pipework is second stage or 37mbar, he'll be fine.

BUT.......

If the pipework needs jointing it'll require fusion welding for which he needs a ticket. And if the pipework is deemed to be service or first stage pipework he'll need his vessels ticket.

And no, he can't use plastic sheathed copper any more. Any existing used as buried LPG pipework is to be replaced by 2018 (not entirely sure of the date off hand!). Greater minds than ours have decreed that should the sheath be compromised then the potential for electrolytic reaction which could degrade the pipe is dramatically increased.

stick it in 1 1/2 inch galv :D

so how is gsr going to sign off the inner run if he hasnt installed it, breaking regs :)

I've been told I am special................... anyhow whats wrong with trac pipe or is that going to be banned as well John (our own very special person)

Well the simple answer is an lpg qualified gas safe registered engineer, sounds like he is balking at having to dig a trench :)

Although, there shouldn't really be any need for it, if they don't like the look of the bottles, just pop them in a ventilated, accessible fire rated compartment with a solid base, right next to the wall. Pipe work goes through wall, problem solved

Croppie. Whats your source for that info so i can have a read - ta muchas

Check out the lpg Lord Gill report, and user info sheet 015, although it is mostly aimed at industrial and commercial properties.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Who can install underground pipework for an LPG bottle install? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock