Search the forum,

Discuss Which way round should the filling loop be fitted? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

casaco

One manufacturer's instructions tell you to fit the check valve on the cold feed and other manufacturers tell you to fit the check valve on the return. We have always fitted the check valve to the heating pipe. Who is right and who is wrong?

I personally would always just follow the MI's that way you know youre good.

The problem if you fit the check valve to the cold feed, you have to drain down to change the iso valve on the boiler side, and are those little valves rated for CH temperatures?

It varies from manufacturer to manufacture just do what is on the tin and follow the book

Ok, all you peeps out there who have not done your Water Regs, the double check valve is required as most plumbers know to protect (along with the removable connection) against back flow of the dirty category 3 domestic heating water into the nice clean mains water which is category 1, therefore the protection device has to be fitted to the mains cold water otherwise dirt can enter.
This means that those cheap filling loops which only have one isolation valve can only be used if another valve is supply & installed, so you might as well buy the proper ones, doing this also has the benefit of providing a 15mm drain down, flushing & injection point, normally below the boiler & if the check valve fails it can easily be replaced without the need to drain the heating.
Please remove the filling loops after you have finished filling it is a requirement (sorry a pet hate), hope this clears up any confusion.

According to CORGI BOOK (Central Heating ) page 112 / 113 the check valve go's on the water main, think it's somewere in water reg to, but can't find it, dare say someone will ! but our local water board want it fitted this way, reason I think they have problems with plastic parts in chack valve failing due to heat transfer from heating pipe.

corgi , gas safe etc etc etc etc are all wrong each manufacturer can be different do what it says in the book

So your reading the same book as casaco ? If he has a book that says fit on return you fit on return if he has a book saying fit on feed you fit on feed .

I'm guilty of fitting them on the heating in the past mainly because the cheaper ones came without an iso and ignorance to be honest! I assumed the check valve had to go onto the heating side because of the directional arrow of flow printed on them. They must go as Chris has said ... On the cold water main :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Who cares ....... as long as no one contaminate the mains and fitter gets paid !
Happy birthday pal :)

I'm guilty of fitting them on the heating in the past mainly because the cheaper ones came without an iso and ignorance to be honest! I assumed the check valve had to go onto the heating side because of the directional arrow of flow printed on them. They must go as Chris has said ... On the cold water main :)

So if you had MI's saying fit on return you'd still fit on main ?

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok, all you peeps out there who have not done your Water Regs, the double check valve is required as most plumbers know to protect (along with the removable connection) against back flow of the dirty category 3 domestic heating water into the nice clean mains water which is category 1, therefore the protection device has to be fitted to the mains cold water otherwise dirt can enter.
This means that those cheap filling loops which only have one isolation valve can only be used if another valve is supply & installed, so you might as well buy the proper ones, doing this also has the benefit of providing a 15mm drain down, flushing & injection point, normally below the boiler & if the check valve fails it can easily be replaced without the need to drain the heating.
Please remove the filling loops after you have finished filling it is a requirement (sorry a pet hate), hope this clears up any confusion.
Spot on Chris. Well explained.

I've just checked a Part L compliant loop I've just bought for a job I'm doing tomorrow! Guess what? The loop is connected iso first with arrow pointing to the loop, then check valve arrow pointing out to compression nut! I'd be fitting the check valve to the heating following the way that was put together .... ! No mi's! Go figure :) Bought from here FL 110 Filling Loop Part L Compliance

Hi diamondgas, well, yes, thats the problem, the arrows show the flow through the valves, but you still get the same direction of flow through the valves from cold feed to return or return to cold feed, it just depends on which way round you fit the loop. That was why I was asking, which way round does it go. Baxi say one way, Vokera the opposite way.

Not what they say it;s water regs check valve on cold main, find out what happens if you fit it on heating pipe and it fails, contaminates water main who do you think will get took to court ????

Hi diamondgas, well, yes, thats the problem, the arrows show the flow through the valves, but you still get the same direction of flow through the valves from cold feed to return or return to cold feed, it just depends on which way round you fit the loop. That was why I was asking, which way round does it go. Baxi say one way, Vokera the opposite way.

And the one in question was pre-set up to connect the iso to the mains and the check valve to the heating circuit!!!

The check valve is to protect the mains from impurities. It is not to prevent contaminated water exiting the heating system.

Check valve is always fitted to the cold main side. If MI state different then you need to also comply with the water regs so need to fit an additional double check on the cold main. So it will cost your more if you follow MI in this instance.

Some chemicals can be dosed via the filling loop so having the check on the heating side wont protect the cold from contamination.

Happy birthday Bod :)

BORING, I thought this question was done to death a few months ago :-/

The op has a legitimate question that has sparked the prior responses! I'm assuming they weren't privy to whatever thread you're referring to mountainman! I doubt the response has been that boring for the op, more informative I'd imagine :)

Isn't that what this place is for, people to ask questions?

What a mess, I have the same filling loop as diamond gas , the valve in this one as well, following the directional arrows will be fitted on the heating side, not big problem the valve can be easily reversed and fitted on the water main , my concern is the little Iso valve, it may had to fitted with the arrow pointing out of the CH side, any opinion?

Check valve is always fitted to the cold main side. If MI state different then you need to also comply with the water regs so need to fit an additional double check on the cold main. So it will cost your more if you follow MI in this instance.

Some chemicals can be dosed via the filling loop so having the check on the heating side wont protect the cold from contamination.

Happy birthday Bod :)

Cheers aw

BORING, I thought this question was done to death a few months ago :-/
Sorry to bore you mountain man, but I did try and look back over old posts before I placed mine. Unfortunately I couldn't find the answer I was looking for. Guess what, despite all the replies I have had so far, I still can't decide which way the loop should be fitted.
If the check valve fails in any position there will be a risk of contamination, don't forget some loops only have 1 iso valve attached to the check valve, so much for water regs then.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Which way round should the filling loop be fitted? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock