Search the forum,

Discuss which way do i go to train as a plumber in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

andysutils

hi all, ive been doing IT for 7 years now andfinally decided i dont want to do it anymore.

im 28 and wondering what course to go on or where to train as a plumber. Ive definetely decided i aint paying £5000 for those care free courses because they just want your cash, if i have t goto college for 4 years, trsut me ill go there and do it, anything to point me in the right direction will be a great help, although i think im to old to be accepted on an apprenticeship now.

thanks and sorry if this has been asked a million times already

Think hard though mate, you will be lucky to scrape in 8 grand in your first year. You may find it difficult to get a college to take you on at your age. No company will take you on !!! good luck

thanks for reply, although im not sure why no company would take me on, my mates 32, he just fininshed his plumbing apprenciship and went straight into work about 3 weeks later, although it seems like finding work in plumbing nowadays is like trying to break out of prison, im thinking of this or being an electrician, looks like electricians is a better choice

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok well your mate was very very lucky , also he did an apprenticeship which would give you the full lev 2 qual , who can argue with that fasttrack or not! If you do fasttrack you will never be taken on above 60 quid a week anyway and you will only have a 6129 tech cert . Electrician takes much longer though now you can do fasttrack in that but I would 'nt touch that with a barge pole . Again good luck.

Ok well your mate was very very lucky , also he did an apprenticeship which would give you the full lev 2 qual , who can argue with that fasttrack or not! If you do fasttrack you will never be taken on above 60 quid a week anyway and you will only have a 6129 tech cert . Electrician takes much longer though now you can do fasttrack in that but I would 'nt touch that with a barge pole . Again good luck.
so the bottom line is then, i cant do a trade?

Yes you can mate though you will have to do it solo or team up with someone else say a tiler! The main problem is the state of the industry at the min there just is not alot of work ! Pm me if you want some longer winded advice from someone who has done this.

Yes you can mate though you will have to do it solo or team up with someone else say a tiler! The main problem is the state of the industry at the min there just is not alot of work ! Pm me if you want some longer winded advice from someone who has done this.
no no i believe you mate and youve been a great help, ive decided not to go ahead with it because the trade and with whats going on in the industry is dire and its who i know, i figured all this high demand for plumbers is clearly not the case, its the exact opposite

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to which way do i go to train as a plumber in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I want to reconnect some outbuildings to an existing water supply. The supply pipe is old 22mm MDPE and buried for a fair distance so not going to dig it up and replace it 😬. Question is can I use normal 22mm plumbing push-fit connectors to make the connection as finding 22mm MDPE fittings...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock