Search the forum,

Discuss which pipe benders? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

gmartine

Esteemed
Gas Engineer
I read Hilmor are now made elsewhere and the quality is suspect.

Rothy, Record, Eclipse, Monument...I need some non-ripplers.

,114551031,114555031_B=_CL=

^^
Your old Rothys might be like old Hilmors when they were made in the UK and are now made elsewhere.

^^ Great thanks, didn't need to spend another fifty or sixty quid to achieve the sort of result I could get from my knee.

Last edited:
bend it now they made the old hilmors which are very good

Get a spring too. Back to the good old days. You can hit your apprentice with them too, 28mm

Knees are still recovering from days of the spring lol

Got to be down to the quality of the pipe we get nowadays. When someone gets one of these new benders, can you let us know if the pipe still ripples?!

Will do Lee.

Someone from ukpf head office contact BIN and give them the traffic numbers for this site in return for a 15% DISCOUNT CODE for a couple of weeks. I'm sure we'd all like to support British manufacturing where and when we can.

Last edited:
Keep an eye out on eBay. I got a Record 218 (the old red cranked arm one) for ÂŁ35. Still in the original box, with both guides. Looked brand new. The box reminded me that they used to be called handibender. That used to make me giggle when I was a kid working with my old man!

Last edited by a moderator:
Got to be down to the quality of the pipe we get nowadays. When someone gets one of these new benders, can you let us know if the pipe still ripples?!

Compared to a set of hardly used Faithfull benders using the same bit of pipe they do not!!!

BIN1.jpgBIN2.jpg

Last edited:
It is down to quality of tube more than owt.

Whilst we're on this subject of nasty tube and bending.

Who remembers that copper years ago with the red stripe down the side. Like a warning it's too thin walled to bend ? It used to just snap, really annoying if you didn't notice the stripe and tried to bend it with a spring. Half an hour of swearing whilst trying to get spring back.

Or truweld, who remembers that. It was due to copper shortage in the 60's
that was tinned steel tube.

Last edited:
Who remembers that copper years ago with the red stripe down the side. Like a warning it's too thin walled to bend ? It used to just snap, really annoying if you didn't notice the stripe and tried to bend it with a spring. Half an hour of swearing whilst trying to get spring back.

I remember that, never really had to bend it as it was only used before I started work, think it is called YTW (Yorkshire Thin Wall) and was introduced during the copper shortage in the 70's

I have the hilmor, cant fault it

It is down to quality of tube more than owt.

Whilst we're on this subject of nasty tube and bending.

Or truweld, who remembers that. It was due to copper shortage in the 60's
that was tinned steel tube.

anything past a 45 and snap :D

The Y.T.W. - Yorkshire thin wall, was harder copper and I used it for some pipework that didn't require bending, - like on long vent pipes.
There was nothing wrong with it and I am sure it still is in plenty of homes today.
Only problem I found with it was it was confusing when you went to lift a large offcut of pipe that was perfect length for something you needed bent - and then discovering the red line down it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to which pipe benders? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock