Search the forum,

Discuss Which Multimeter for a heating engineer? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
worth getting a voltage pen or screwdriver as well

Philex Electronic 83006R/S AC Voltage Detector Pen Probe | NoLinkingToThis

this looks ok click on link and you can download the manual worth a look

Philex 83003R/S Digital Multimeter 1000V | NoLinkingToThis#

Philex 83002R/S Digital Multimeter with Temp Probe | NoLinkingToThis

Thanks I have looked at them are they auto ranging?

cant see the point of auto rangeing when you can turn a dial - honestly dont spend more than ÂŁ40

cant see the point of auto rangeing when you can turn a dial - honestly dont spend more than ÂŁ40

That's what I was thinking but with so many recommendations for autoranging I thought that would be best. If I can do the same with either I might go for one of those screwfix ones. Thanks.

maplins store would be able to give you advise and show you the basic functions .

maplins store would be able to give you advise and show you the basic functions .

I very much doubt the staff in Maplins know what day of the week it is, never mind giving useful information about multimeters.

I have a Fluke, only because it was recommended for Part P purposes, mine is autoranging, which is useful because it is quicker to test with and less chnce of blowing the internal fuse if you set the dial too low, more forgiving for user error. I would say buy a cheap five quid one, learn on it, then upgrade to one with functions you might find useful, duty cycle, pulse width, temp probe etc in addition to the normal functions

That was very helpful. I haven't had much use with a multimeter, on my part p course we were using the big megger testers. I won't be paying that sort of money to fit boilers or fault find.

Meggar do some nice DMMs, this is where i get all my gear from, link below is to a Meggar AR/DMM

Megger AVO310 Digital Multimeter – Megger Digital Multimeters and Test Instruments

Getting them to pay for themselves is quite a task in the Plumbing game though imo (unless you are doing pure fault finding work) If I didn't use mine for electrical work on my cars/van and domestic fault finding (finding the switch live on a ceiling rose/earth continuity, for instance) then i would consider the ÂŁ170 odd quid i spent on it a complete waste of money

Philex 83002R/S Digital Multimeter with Temp Probe | NoLinkingToThis

Just got this one, doesn't feel particularly strong but will do for starters.

Just having a little play with it now hopefully i'll get hands on at work and someone can help me out and teach me a bit more.

Try getting one with a 200Ma continuity test on it, like the insulation testers usually have. If you get an insulation tester make sure you know how to use them safely. A read of the IEE Wiring regs or PAT testing will virtually tell you what sort of multi meter you require. Although many are probably sufficient for most fault finding on boilers. The fluke is good but dear. And fluke can measure micro amps to check ffd's and flame proving as well as temperature. But I figure if you suspect those devices they are fairly easy and cheap to replace or carry a spare to try than pay out for a fluke. It is said Kane make a model as well just Google HVAC multi meter.

I loved rolling out the multi meter and diving in, but sometime it took hours to sort and often could not find the problem anyway. While my mate was more forward and sometimes just gave the boilers a bang. He usually got more working with a good bang with whatever he had in his hand than I did with all the technical stuff.

Last edited by a moderator:
Rp4020 Tek4 4V Digital Multimeter With Battery And Charger 4892210110824 5133000314

great for ÂŁ29 plus pp

You will want to get a GS38 voltage indicator and proving unit for safe isolation and testing wiring. Most multimeters are not great or suitable for isolation, and alot harder to use for simple wiring up stuff.

Fluke do a gs38 tester for about ÂŁ20, simple but works great. you dont really want to get your expensive, breakable multimeter/meters out for basic wiring stuff. If you need to test earth continuity etc... and issue minor works certs then you will need to get a multifunction tester or simular set.

voltage pens are good for quick checks but should never be used for isolation as they are easily influenced by surrounding environment, if you get one make sure it measure as low as 50v.

I might get down there next weekend looks pretty good. even if it is 40 miles away :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Which Multimeter for a heating engineer? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock