Search the forum,

Discuss Which core drill, Makita or Marcrist? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phil

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Okay so my 4 year old Sparky core drill has had its day now and have under £300 to spend on a new one.

Makita 8406
Marcrist ddm1

I want a reliable one where I can have it on full speed without worrying if I'm going to be dialing an ambulance with my left hand.

I have the ddm1. The performance is excellent and it has never snatched. Bit bigger than the makita though. The motor on the ddm1 threw a wobbly on mine but was replaced With out question under warranty. see how it goes. I have used my mates 8406 and I don't think it's as quick as the ddm1. I Had sparky core drill prior to the ddm1. They are worlds apart.

i got mine from core drill city for that sort of money. He was very helpful when the drill threw a wobbly. Or if you sign up to bes.co.uk emails they quite often have the drill on their Friday offer email for £224

ddm2 by sparky, miles better than a ddm1, ask tamz or see his old posts or buy the marchrist ddm2 from big red tool box for £335

Last edited by a moderator:
I've never had a problem with my Makita, still going strong after nearly a decade. I've only just replaced the chuck with a threaded adaptor, apart from that I've not had to repair it.

I've ordered the sparky ddm2, I'm pretty sure they are not made by the same company who made the small one.

20160114_212348.jpg20160114_212322.jpg

20160114_212231.jpg

Wow, this came today and what a drill!

One question though....on an earlier thread I stupidly said all my powertools have a proper plug on them....Apart from this one! I had to unscrew the weird looking plug on the end to find a Shuko plug! Never seen that before.

Is yours the same Lame? and anyone else who has one.

Last edited:
where did that come from, if it was big red tool box they can be asses, as they sent me a 110v instead of a 240v, then I eventually got a free 110v transformer, but it was too small to work the drill, so the mcb kept popping till i got out my monster transformer.

check that isnt 110 before you wack it into 240 on the wall!!

by the by, once you get it working, hang on they go rather fast , always use the core pilot bit to start off, gets exciting if you dont on a big core.

Last edited by a moderator:
where did that come from, if it was big red tool box they can be asses, as they sent me a 110v instead of a 240v, then I eventually got a free 110v transformer, but it was too small to work the drill, so the mcb kept popping till i got out my monster transformer.

check that isnt 110 before you wack it into 240 on the wall!!

eu plug ;)

Powertools Direct £235.

I've already plugged it in and it has a right kick!

Just ordered a Sparky BBK3 (DDM3 copy?) for £306 incl VAT and delivery
Ordered and paid for a BBK2 only to be told it wasn't in stock and didn't know when it would be
Searched around and found the BBK3 for less money, should be here next week

interesting, general consensus is sparkys cheap tat and a bit pish

According to a few on here (Lame and Phil iirc) the BBK2 is a different animal to the BBK1
I'll let you know next week
I was wrong on the price as well, the BBK2 was £237 inclusive with the BBK3 being £60 more from a different supplier, so thought I'd be a guinea pig and give it a try

my last makita lasted 10 years of heavy use so i bought what i thought was the same again and it wasnt till i needed it i realised it didnt have reverse on the new one

Have to say - look at other options.
Hitachi do a good core and also there is a dewalt refurbished outlet on ebay.
Both have offerings better than those imho for a similar price...

I've handed over the cash now, I had a Makita which was fine, but ended up like triggers brush
Couple of new clutches etc and the quote to refurb it this time was around £230, more than the price of a new one
I'll give it a go when I get it and let you all know

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Which core drill, Makita or Marcrist? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock