Search the forum,

Discuss Which company and which course??? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

Towers

Hi all, I am trying to decide which quaulification to go for with which company at the moment, a minefield by the sounds of it!!!

Can anyone suggest the best training supplier and which qualifications I should go for to become a self employed plumber to install bathrooms, kitchens and general plumbing repairs for the domestic market.

The main driver behind doing a plumbing course is to renovate properties as a business and can do the other things needed.

I have had a raft of details sent to me and have been visited by Access2trade who sounded really good? I have also had details from New Career Skills, MET-UK, UK Plumbing & Gas Training, ableskills, RF Training and OLCI.

Please which ones are best or worth considering and which ones will give me the correct qualifications.

Any help would be most appreciated.

Cheers :)

Hi Towers(no pun intended)
I did City & Guilds 6129 with OLCI in Bristol along with other courses with them and found them to be really good.That is my view.
Good Luck

Last edited:
i think there is one in mansfield / shirebrook,
think it is olci training fac;
very difficult to find on tinternet tho.
if i remember will let thee no.

I’ve done the course with OLCI, same as helpsy. Really pleased with how it went so would recommend them. Get the proper certificates as well, I did 8 weeks for the 6129, then with some more onsite assessment you end up with the full NVQ. I did it in Manchester but looking at their website they have a place in Mansfield, so that might be good for you? Not sure about any of the others you mentioned.

Personally, I would advise doing the training at a college rather than with a private company, so long as you get a good teacher there you will be saving yourself a load of money.
Depends how quickly you need it I suppose, but again I think it is better to do it over a year or two at a college and study everything about the subject you can over this time. I really don't see how people can take in all the information and understand it properly in a matter of weeks or months.

i would stay clear of metuk , i can not speak personally but i know the one in rotherham has low standards and training.

I, on the other hand, do have personal experience of MET-UK in Rotherham. I'm currently half way through the Plumb Solar course. The two tutors I've had so far have been good - both experienced guys with considerable knowledge. They've been honest and upfront and pointed out that you can't possibly come out the other end with the same skills as a plumber with 5/10 years experience. However, you can come out with solid foundations, both theoretical and practical, on which to build for a successful career in plumbing if you're prepared to work hard. My only gripe is regarding work placements some of the students haven't had one or the one found has been poor - I must add that some have had great work placements, I think it depends on the area you live in. If you can find your own work placement then you should - and MET will pay you ÂŁ50 as well. I know everyone has their own opinions about things but the previous comment is a bit of a surprise. Most of the trainees in my group have experience in areas such as air con, building, roofing etc and have trained at other centres, the army and colleges - everyone agrees that the training at MET is of a good standard. I visited a number of centres and in the end I had to choose between PPL in York and MET. I chose MET.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Which company and which course??? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

D
I am looking for a Gas Safe training course that will get me Gas Safe registered. Been speaking with OLCI, CFT, and Train fot trades. I have my City&Guilds 6128, Water Regs, Vented & Unvented, all done through New Career Skills, and my CSCS card. Have been trying to do plumbing work since Oct...
Replies
Views
DCann-MacLean
D
J
hi there i'm looking at a carer change and want to do plumbing i have looked at a few training centres and courses and am not shore as to which way to go i have been to able skills, plumbing academy and OLCI looking at doing an intensive 8 week coarse can anyone recommend a good centre to me i...
Replies
Views
dkitson
D
M
Good morning folks I am writing to you regarding the possibility of working alongside a qualifed plumber as an intermediate experienced trainee with either a plumbing and heating sole trader or small plumbing and heating firm and would like to present myself here briefly: My name is Martyn...
Replies
Views
Marty32
M
A
I signed up to the plumbing forum a while ago as I am intending to train as a plumber and need some advice. I'm getting really bogged down with the amount of different courses on offer. I'm not sure which qualifications I need to obtain and which option is the best to take. I keep reading horror...
Replies
Views
fuzzy
F
B
Hi, I was wondering if there is anyone out there who is considering an OLCI course as well? Any advice on the course would also be welcome.
Replies
Views
fuzzy
F
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock