Search the forum,

Discuss Which boiler solution for us? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello

Current status: We have an ancient boiler/heating system in our converted Edwardian house. It needs replacing. We currently are a first floor flat in a converted house and have been informed we have shared supply of water and measures outside of property are 3.5 bar and 25pm. However at kitchen sink its down to 15pm
Our downstairs neighbours have a combi boiler.
We currently have 1 bathroom but next year hope to go a loft conversion and thus will have a second shower in loft. There is chances that both showers would be run at same time.
(can answer more if needed).

Weve had such mixed suggestions with one company saying Megaflow, however I understand from other companies we dont have the required flow?

Others have said Combi but that to ensure future proofing ie when 2nd shower comes along we would need Thames water to fit our own water supply.

None have mentioned conventional system so is that a viable option? We really dont want the big cylinder thing we currently have in bathroom to be there anymore though

Basically we need something doing asap and thus cannot really wait for Thames water as we understand that part of things could take months.

Please can you help? Would a combi now be fine for our 1 shower using existing supply and then get personal water supply installed at same time as loft is done and thus up the supply later? OR would conventional now save us in long run as wouldnt need our own supply?

Thanks in advance

Last edited:
Shared supply I would not take the chance if your neighbours are using water you will struggle to keep one shower working better to get your own supply put on before you upgrade do it right do it once . Cheers kop

If you want the "pukka" job, I'd suggest an unvented hot water system, which from what you've said would require a separate supply. However, if you are on the first floor, a new supply would almost certainly involve some work being done in the flat below you.

If you are prepared, or need to, compromise, Scott-1979's suggestion of a combi for most things with an electric shower in one bathroom is a good one. You would probably want the combi driven shower in the most used bathroom.

There is nothing to stop you adding an unvented hot water system at a later date, with your separate cold supply, and the combi boiler could also heat the unvented hot water cylinder. You might then opt for the combi's direct hot water supply to the kitchen, and the unvented hot water supply to one or both bathrooms. Keeping the electric shower would give you a source of hot water in the event of boiler breakdown.

I would go down the route of separate supplies first

Definitely separate supplies!

First I'd be looking in upgrading mains water supply to at least 25mm mdpe pipe.

When adding another bathroom next year, you are still able to use a combination boiler but bear in mind there will be a drop of water pressure e.g 16 Liter per minutes will be devided in 1/2 if you use 2 showers in the same time.

If you want you could go for an unvented indirect cylinder - perhaps in the loft horizontal. Go with a system boiler of vaillant Worcester, vaillant or Atag. If the pressure after upgrading isn't good enough you could increase it via a pump of dab mains booster pump.

You should consider when installing a decent system to get a water softener installed it will definitely benefit your system as it will last much longer due to less scale. You also will use less soap and any other products for dishwashers and washing machines.

If you cannot wait for Thames water , get a mains booster of dab installed along with an unvented cylinder and system boiler unless you are fine with a little drop of water pressure then get a normal combo boiler.

But, it really depends on how much you want to spend.

Wow thanks for so many replies. Ok what Im hearing is that conventional gravity fed isnt an option or certainly not advised?

Ive just filled out the online application form for Thames water but we currently have no timer system on heating system and its getting cold, really didnt want to have wait until March ish to get a new heating solution :(
However it seems most state seperate supplies is the best way to go...

Im afraid I have no idea what a "mains booster of dab" is or what sort of ballpark figure we are talking? Im already learning that mega flow (which I think is an unvented cylinder?) is twice the price of combi? I dont know how much Thames water are gonna add on top of this?

Definitely separate supplies!

First I'd be looking in upgrading mains water supply to at least 25mm mdpe pipe.

When adding another bathroom next year, you are still able to use a combination boiler but bear in mind there will be a drop of water pressure e.g 16 Liter per minutes will be devided in 1/2 if you use 2 showers in the same time.

If you want you could go for an unvented indirect cylinder - perhaps in the loft horizontal. Go with a system boiler of vaillant Worcester, vaillant or Atag. If the pressure after upgrading isn't good enough you could increase it via a pump of dab mains booster pump.

You should consider when installing a decent system to get a water softener installed it will definitely benefit your system as it will last much longer due to less scale. You also will use less soap and any other products for dishwashers and washing machines.

But, it really depends on how much you want to spend.
Wow thanks for so many replies. Ok what Im hearing is that conventional gravity fed isnt an option or certainly not advised?

Ive just filled out the online application form for Thames water but we currently have no timer system on heating system and its getting cold, really didnt want to have wait until March ish to get a new heating solution :(
However it seems most state seperate supplies is the best way to go...

Im afraid I have no idea what a "mains booster of dab" is or what sort of ballpark figure we are talking? Im already learning that mega flow (which I think is an unvented cylinder?) is twice the price of combi? I dont know how much Thames water are gonna add on top of this?
it really depends on how many liters you need I'd think about 210-250l which is about 650-1000
The dAB booster pump is about 7-800

I do not know what you really want. Perhaps is best to get a couple of more quotes of professional installers.

Where are you from ?

Hello again. So I took the consensus here and contacted Thames Water to get a quote to provide our flat its own water supply as opposed to the shared service we have currently due to the house being split previously.
Can you advise how much this usually costs in London on a residential road because frankly Im gobsmacked. They have quoted just over 4.5k. So now our 2 bedroom flat for which we just wanted a non ancient boiler fitted is in danger of taking months to replace because advice is saying wait for Thames Water to supply own supply and now looking at between 7.5k (combi) t0 10k for Mega flow type system.
This sounds like an insane amount of money for such a small and non unusual property????

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Which boiler solution for us? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock