Search the forum,

Discuss Which Auto Ranging multi-meter should I use? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
W

wild nomad

Hi there!

Was wondering if anyone could recommend a good auto ranging multi-meter? Not worried about spending some money, just don't want one that's going to blow up or electrocute me... or anyone else come to that.

Thanks in advace

Mike :)

I bought a Fluke 116 recently. Nice bit of kit - easy to use, particularly the full autorange setting which will measure AC and DC volts on the same setting. Does micro amps for flame rectification. Not cheap but seems well worth the money.

ive got a kewtech which is good and a ryobi tek 4 which is really nice to use.

Hi Bassmonster,

So, in regards to the VC97, have you used it on 230v AC yet?

Mike :)

Plumb center one is simple to use and cheap.

Even the Baxi guys running the courses said they were excellent value for money.

Plumb center one is simple to use and cheap.

Even the Baxi guys running the courses said they were excellent value for money.

It is. I keep one of those in the van for general use and it is simple, foolproof and robust.

Good enough for 95% of diagnostic work, just lacking a couple of more advanced features.

I bought a Fluke 116 recently. Nice bit of kit - easy to use, particularly the full autorange setting which will measure AC and DC volts on the same setting. Does micro amps for flame rectification. Not cheap but seems well worth the money.

Im with masood ive the 116 its a good multimeter and was designed for the hvac industry .

The 116 fluke is ÂŁ120

yes, but for something which cost absolute peanuts, it was worth checking :D

Well not really IMO. You've checked a function that you'll rarely, if ever, use in real life. It would be interesting to put your meter head-to-head against a Fluke checking NTC resistances, milliamp readings, low voltages etc.

It might be accurate in which case you've got a bargain. But until you've tested and proved the functionality you actually use you've not established whether it's worth carrying in your toolkit. Unless it comes with a calibration certificate in which case I'm buying one!

Last edited by a moderator:
I have been using the vc97 day in and day out, and my mate who is a sparks borrowed it to put it through its paces for me,and although he initially laughed and dismissed it as cheap cack he couldn't fault the accuracy.
I'm well happy with it.

From memory he slates the Vichy lol. Shame the extech looks a bit childish, green body with orange case

wickes ÂŁ19.50 multi meter, all I have to do is turn the dial to the correct setting to make it work properly, its that simple :), and I have a 2nd identical one to calibrate against :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Which Auto Ranging multi-meter should I use? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi All I have a leak coming from within my Mira Elite QT shower. It seems to be flowing from behind the switching Control. Any ideas what could be causing this leak. Already Changed the Pump Elbow as one of the clips had popped which was causing a second small leak, Any idea? Is it time to buy...
Replies
Views
Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended floor. Pic 1 is inside porch, pex temporarily clipped to give an idea of pipe placement (ignore shoddy blockwork of booted cowboy builder!), Pic 2 is...
Replies
Views
Hi guys. I'm trying to identify a toilet model before ordering a seat for a customer. I went to what used to be a Roca stockist (they no longer are) and one of the guys there reckoned it might be "The Gap". I went to the new stockist and the guy there disagreed it was "The Gap" and that he'd...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock