Search the forum,

Discuss Where would you end your "liability" in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

WaterTight

Esteemed
Plumber
Subscribed
Was doing a syphon change for a pre-agreed fixed price. On going to remove the cistern I am guessing a big hunk of rusty crumbly crap from the close coupled kit fell down the hole in the pan. I didn't see this happen and there was no residue in the hole to alert me to this.

Only discovered it when the new syphon was flushing like there was a blockage inside the pan rim. Tried a different syphon to make sure then started trying to remove the blockage. Got lots of gunk out with a bit of wire and improved it but still not good enough. Tried wet vac, tried flusing some out with a hose but still not right.

The customer was being a total nightmare. Hovering, compaining, panicking, accusing me of being incompetent, asking the same questions again and again. Like one of the worst I've ever had to deal with. I think this stress out rubbed off on me and even though I told her repeatedly it wasn't my fault, it would have happened to whomever attempted the job I ended up telling her she needed a new toilet and I offered to pay for it and go get it and install it for free. Maybe offering this was already a step too far then some of you would have done? Or perhaps this is something I you would have done too? Like, it's bad luck but not exactly clear whose bad luck in a way? This hasn't come up before so was thinking on my feet while stressed out by her.

So I went and got a new toilet. She was still complaining the whole time. Because the new toilet was an toilet-to-go type (small) and her old toilet was large in dimensions and the soil boxed in there was a gap behind the cistern of about 90mm. I fixed it in place with spacers for temporary and said she'd need some boxing done behind it.

She hasn't paid me for any of the work done so far and isn't intending to. She expects me to do the remaining work, boxing etc and it also needs a different seat because the new one is tat.

Would you be doing the remaining work for her? And if so for free? Please remember before you answer that she was so unpleasant to be around I almost think that is grounds for not going back on it's own.

Thanks

Reactions: Dan
I suppose you didn't check the flush through the pan prior to starting the works.
You may have, but didn't take much notice.

Chances are this may have been the problem from the beginning.

You've done way more than you should have in supplying and fitting a new pan.

I would try and negotiate with the woman and at least cover your expenses.
Add a little on to cover your time.
If you make no headway - just walk away.

I take it it was a piece of the old crappy close coupled plate?

Not a lot you could do as you lift the cistern off.

You've gone over and above what I would have done.

Maybe pull pan out and upside down in garden with hose.

Could you pull the old toilet out and tipped it upside down (and do a dance) to try and get the piece out if it’s only just gone in there

We have been known to walk off the odd job when badly treated dont feel guilty its your business and run it as you see fit. Maybe there is a deal in there when she calms down and gets a quote from others..nobody likes taking a half finished job on. There was a fella who tried not paying one of my colleagues in Bath years ago, I went round told him if he did not settle I was going to go round all his posh neighbours put notes thro door or talk to them and expose him...he paid then we put his name about at the plumbers merchants no one would touch him and he had to get Bristol boys in and strangely lots of Bath vans called by and told what a bad customer he was...quite a few just drove off. chking

Could you pull the old toilet out and tipped it upside down (and do a dance) to try and get the piece out if it’s only just gone in there

It's been tipped. I took it and tipped it for her at her demand. Another thing I did for free. I tried for ages to clear out the blockage. By the time I'd removed the toilet (on returning with the new toilet) all I could think of was getting the new one installed so I could get out of there.

I know that if I try and talk to her to explain I will get nowhere so I think I will post a note through her door saying that after seeking advice from other professional plumbers I have realised I have already done more than I should for free and will not be doing any more. If she wishes to make further demands she can do so by writing. And then block her number.

Sound a reasonable move?

I would call her a explain the situation from your side.
Let her know that you did everything you could to get her a flushing toilet and at considerable expense to you.

Try to reason with her and see if she will cover some or all of the expenses.
Explain to her you could have left her without a toilet.

Basically, see how much dough you can get out of her before you give her the flick

I would call her a explain the situation from your side.
Let her know that you did everything you could to get her a flushing toilet and at considerable expense to you.

Try to reason with her and see if she will cover some or all of the expenses.
Explain to her you could have left her without a toilet.

Basically, see how much dough you can get out of her before you give her the flick
great reply Oz...sort of where I was heading....see how much lolly she will cough up
but if its zero ....'give her the flick' I like that phrase ..chking

Reply to Where would you end your "liability" in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello plumbers in my internet. So the Mrs want a spray mixer tap in the kitchen as we had two separate taps. I changed the tap for a temporary two hole mixer but the cold water pressure is high mains fed and the hot is low pressure immersion tank fed. I've been trying to find info on what I...
Replies
Views
Hi all Noticed bad smell in my drain out side put my hand down and it unclogged it for now however I checked my sewer drain and after flushing my toilet a good few times nothing is going to the sewer so don't know is there a blockage or what way it works many thanks and advice would be grateful
Replies
Views
I was stupid enough not to check the position of the pipes under the tiles when installing a toilet and drilled right through the center of a 16 mm copper water pipe. I exposed the pipe by removing a ~30cm section of the plastic sleeve and a ~10 cm section of the pipe around the hole. Several...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock