Search the forum,

Discuss Where to start? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Crs8

Firstly let me apologies as I know there's a lot of similar questions but everyone's situation is different so would like to start my own 'how' thread.

I'm 25 years old from Maidstone and have been working in print, nothing interesting just a part time job but I want to finally start a course to get into the trade. Always wanted to get into a trade, love fixing things and never really saw myself anywhere else.

I've read that the courses that charge thousands should be avoided and college courses are a good option. I'd like to do night courses at college and aware that it takes some time, but what happens during this time? Will I need to get someone to take me on as an apprentice? At the end of the course do I stand a decent chance of getting a job if I have no working environment experience?

I know it's not going to be easy but it's about time that I sort myself out & take a chance with something.

Cheers

hello Crs8,:welcome:.
to get an NVQ you need to be working with someone.
the best route is to speak to the college/centre you would hope to train at, find out what courses they run and the requirements for them.

hello Crs8,:welcome:.
to get an NVQ you need to be working with someone.
the best route is to speak to the college/centre you would hope to train at, find out what courses they run and the requirements for them.

Hello,

So what would you be doing in the mean time at college if you wasn't working with someone? Would this get me a basic certificate which leads me to level 2? And can I only complete level 2 with work experience?

Where's the level 1? :p I'm looking at the C&G website and it's just levels 2 and 3.

Thanks for your help.

Last edited by a moderator:
some offer level 1, most bypass that and go straight to level 2.
traditional route level 2 C&G 6129 ( just technical cert ) then do the NVQ,
the qualifications are changing, so best check with the course provider

some offer level 1, most bypass that and go straight to level 2.
traditional route level 2 C&G 6129 ( just technical cert ) then do the NVQ,
the qualifications are changing, so best check with the course provider

Thanks again. :) But my first step should to definitely get on a college course, yes? Seems pretty obvious I guess but better safe than sorry.

The college will give you a C+G technical cert level 2 without any job experience at all - if you pass of course.
The NVQ is an assessment based hands on qualification that you don't need to do to get a C+G technical cert.
If you are doing nights it will probably take 2 years to get your C+G, in that time you need to get some work experience with a qualified plumber who can sign off your NVQ modules, then you will get your NVQ.
With the level 2 C+G cert only, you aren't likely to get on as anything other than an apprentice, but you will have a basic knowledge of plumbing and be able to do some basic jobs. I know an ex-plumber who only had the C+G level 2 and he made an OK living working for himself for a couple of years, but he was limited to the jobs he could take on. He has since turned his hand to plastering and tiling after a 1 week course, he now makes more money from that than he did from plumbing.
So advice as above would be to get enrolled, start your C+G and then work on finding a plumber who can sign off your modules. You're probably looking at helping a plumber out for free just to get your modules signed off.

The college will give you a C+G technical cert level 2 without any job experience at all - if you pass of course.
The NVQ is an assessment based hands on qualification that you don't need to do to get a C+G technical cert.
If you are doing nights it will probably take 2 years to get your C+G, in that time you need to get some work experience with a qualified plumber who can sign off your NVQ modules, then you will get your NVQ.
With the level 2 C+G cert only, you aren't likely to get on as anything other than an apprentice, but you will have a basic knowledge of plumbing and be able to do some basic jobs. I know an ex-plumber who only had the C+G level 2 and he made an OK living working for himself for a couple of years, but he was limited to the jobs he could take on. He has since turned his hand to plastering and tiling after a 1 week course, he now makes more money from that than he did from plumbing.
So advice as above would be to get enrolled, start your C+G and then work on finding a plumber who can sign off your modules. You're probably looking at helping a plumber out for free just to get your modules signed off.

I understand now.:) Thanks.

This plumber you knew, couldn't he get someone to take him on so he could get this NVQ?

Where do the paid courses fit in then? Do they do the NVQ's 'built in' to the course as I'm reading a plastering thread and it seems they do courses just for the NVQ.

Thanks.

to simplify, the tech cert is knowledge based with no practical skills required to pass and gain a level 2 or 3 (i.e. almost anybody could gain.)
The NVQ is competence based and you need a job (or plenty of work for level 2) to gain the competence for assessment. It requires work that you have completed and will be assessed and put in a portfolio of work which will be forwarded on to the center / college who provide you with the certification.
There is no fast track to becoming qualified properly.
I know guys who have been in this game for years and have little work. not one or two man bands but company's that 7 to 15 guys

I do not want to be negative but being a plumber will not earn you ÂŁ30,000 a year at the moment

to simplify, the tech cert is knowledge based with no practical skills required to pass and gain a level 2 or 3 (i.e. almost anybody could gain.)
The NVQ is competence based and you need a job (or plenty of work for level 2) to gain the competence for assessment. It requires work that you have completed and will be assessed and put in a portfolio of work which will be forwarded on to the center / college who provide you with the certification.
There is no fast track to becoming qualified properly.
I know guys who have been in this game for years and have little work. not one or two man bands but company's that 7 to 15 guys

I do not want to be negative but being a plumber will not earn you ÂŁ30,000 a year at the moment

Thank you, very helpful. It's a bad time to be in any job it seems, I read the same things on the Electritian forums. :)

Money has never been an issue to be honest, I never wanted to have a trade because of the pay and I reckon I'd enjoy it a lot more than being stuck in a printers or office.

sorry mate but this is VERY VERY wrong. half of the qualification is practical!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

you dont need a tech cert to get an NVQ but you do need to pass all the theory assessments, so not really a short cut as people believe

by 'get your C&G' i presume you mean tech cert. C&G is an awarding body not a qualification, the qual is a tech cert. C&G also offer the NVQ.

you need more than a plumber to sign off work to get your nvq, you need to be assessed on site doing the job by a qualified assessor. you also need to be enrolled with a centre and registered with an awarding body before doing the assessments and gathering the evidence

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Where to start? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock