Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. Checkout our Plumbers Insurance area - heavily discounted Public Liability Insurance and Van Insurance specifically designed for plumbers.

Discuss Where to start when buying a boiler? in the Gas Safe Register Forum - Public Forum area at UKPlumbersForums.co.uk.

1. thereisawizza

thereisawizza Plumber GSR

Another fake post which makes up over half of the postings on the "new" forum :) Talking of which there are more "new" members than ever replying and giving advice than anyone else!

• Like Like x 3
  2. dan_the_plumber

dan_the_plumber GSR

Lots of combi’s have plastic parts inside. Baxi use brass. That’s good enough for me. Worcester are good though as long as they are installed to manifacturers instructions (which often they are not)

3. ShaunCorbs

ShaunCorbs S. Mod Trusted Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

some baxis use plastic

4. Ric2013

Ric2013 Plumber

Depends on the quality and design, surely? Metal isn't always better.

5. dan_the_plumber

dan_the_plumber GSR

Yes it is

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Ric2013

Ric2013 Plumber

I didn't explain my reasoning.

To illustrate a point, my bicycle has had a quality plastic bracket supporting the heavy lock on it. I have had the bicycle and lock about 18 years, during which time it has probably covered 20,000 miles. The bracket is still intact. On the other hand, some cheap cast stainless brackets supporting the front light were failing in a matter of weeks and I eventually had to get rid of that light. So metal can be just as bad as plastic if you make it cheap and nasty enough.

Back to plumbing, there are many fans of Magnacleans on this forum: these are plastic. We use plastic for water supply pipes - it never corrodes and causes blockages, unlike steel mains, and I'm sure we've all seen the effects of dezincification on cheap fittings. We also rarely use metal gate valves any more, using spherical valves instead, which use a plastic material to allow the ball to seal instead of metal to metal.

If plastic is used to save money, it is probably a bad material. If, on the other hand, it is used because it has technically superior properties, then it could well be good. I just think that metal = good, plastic = bad is a false dichotomy.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Matchless.plumb

Matchless.plumb Trusted Plumber GSR

More and more posts with nonsense stuff .. seems a little odd for me