Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. Checkout our Plumbers Insurance area - heavily discounted Public Lability Insurance and Van Insurance specifically designed for plumbers.

Discuss Where to seal shower screen & bath in the Bathrooms, Showers and Wetrooms area at UKPlumbersForums.co.uk.

1. infaddict

infaddict New Member

Hi,

I've completely removed my old shower screen and also removed all silicon sealant from around the entire bath. This is in preparation to fit a new shower screen and re-seal the entire bath. It is a wall fixed straight shower screen, sitting on top of a bath tub.

Having read the shower screen instructions, I understand to seal only the outside edge of the screen against the upright wall. I believe this is so any water ingress behind the metal in contact with the wall, will run downwards.

However my question is whether I need to seal between the bath and the wall where the metal upright "holder" for the screen will sit? If I dont do this and screw it into the wall without sealing, then surely and water running down will escape between bath and wall and leak onto the floor under the bath?

So my question is whether I seal all the bath first, just the small inch or so behind where the screen will fit or nothing? Thanks in advance!

2. Best

Best Trusted Plumber Top Contributor!!

Obviously follow the instructions.
    Some manufacturers have different ideas on where to use silicone strangely.
    Normally the vertical profile that is against the wall should be sealed vertically on inside and also a few inches vertically on outside from bottom as a minimum.
    The join between bath and tiles, where screen goes is critical to seal with bead of silicone. Probably best you seal the entire bath to tile joint first and ideally leave to set for a day before refitting the screen.
    Still add extra little bead on horizontal joint where profile meets wall to bath. Also seal horizontal joint where on both profile and the fixed part of door goes.

3. infaddict

infaddict New Member

Thanks for quick reply. The fitting instructions do not say to seal the profile against the wall inside. But I intend to do so. It does say to seal the outside edge all the way up the wall.

So if I seal the entire bath first, I would normally use a diagonal bead. Is that what you meant by sealing the whole bath the day before? Or did you mean a smaller flush bead prior to another sealant later?

If I do the traditional sealing, where the shower screen fits onto bath/wall then the diagonal bead will get in the way. My guess is I couldn't offer up the screen flush to the wall because the beading of silicone would be in the way.

Sorry if I'm being stupid, just want to get this right. Thanks!

4. king of pipes

king of pipes Trusted Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

The bath needs silicone sealant applied first let that dry fully before fitting the screen, seal behind the upright and on the outside only . cheers kop

5. infaddict

infaddict New Member

Thanks, if I seal the entire bath first, wont the diaganol beading prevent the shower screen metal strip fitting flush to the wall at the bottom end standing on the bath?

6. infaddict

infaddict New Member

Here's a diagram showing my question. If I've already sealed the bath, how does shower screen fit up flush against tile, because beading will already be there. Hope this makes sense.

shower.jpeg

7. Best

Best Trusted Plumber Top Contributor!!

Just seal the couple inches part flush where screen profile will later go on.
    Or you could just fit screen first, using silicone only on the part the profile covers, then seal bath after. But that is more difficult because you will be working around the bath panel, unless you can just fit profile solely?

8. king of pipes

Come on a bit of common sense here you only apply whats needed there to fill the gap between the tile and the bath a 6 mm bead on the rest smoothed off with a fugi tool or similar as below. Regards kop

Screenshot_2017-11-19-16-40-53.png

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. infaddict

infaddict New Member

Thanks everyone. It might be "common sense" if you've done it before, but wanted to be 100% sure. I have smoothing tools. Tonight I'll seal the whole bath with a normal bead and where the screen attaches I'll flatten it ready to receive the screen tomorrow. Finally, I'll seal around the base of the screen and the outside edge.

Cheers!

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. king of pipes

Make sure you use a good quality sanitary silicone with a fungicide and remember you can add more easier than trying to deal with to much so dont over fill the gap , soapy water and plenty of blue roll to help you work clean, may pay you to watch a few clips on youtube. Cheers kop

• Like Like x 2
  11. YorkshireDave

YorkshireDave Active Member

Unf KOP I disagree with adding any once applied. It simply cannot seal as the original.

To the OP. Do NOT leave ANY old silicone. Remove it all and the chemically clean tbe bath surface. I use Isopropyl Alcohol. Also, fill the bath with water before doing/filling the gaps. Once dry (12hrs) let water out. the silicone will look a little squished but its long term integrity will be much better.

12. king of pipes

Each to his own Dave i know how i do it bud .

• Like Like x 1
  13. YorkshireDave

YorkshireDave Active Member

Amen to that KOP :D

• Friendly Friendly x 1