Search the forum,

Discuss Where to buy tools from in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

csweet

Afternoon all. wondered where you bought your tools from. Did a price comparison with Tool station and Screw Fix and TS was cheaper - but what about quality? I went for the cheapest products both had to offer.

What do you think TS, SF or even Wickes?

Re: Where to but tools from

buy he best you can afford cheap means somewere allong the line cheap gives up where quality keeps going

then again, unless your a carpenter a hammer is a hammer.

go down to a few local plumbing merchants and ask for a few quotes on tools, they sometimes give you a nice discount if you say please:)

ebay,screwfix,ts theres no one place to get all your kit shop around,btw ts sell mainly silverline =tat,but they do monument as well

Cheers for the advice. My lecturer said Monument was the best but its things like adjustable wrench, PVC pipe cutter, etc. that I'm not 100% on. Not into buying cheap but there was ÂŁ18 difference between the two and couldn't see what made one more expensive...

been plumbing 3 yrs - just bought fantastic new bahco thirty quid adjustable - well chuffed with it, had to buy cheap to start with, - always keep old tools for spares (it gets chaotic on sites !!!!) - it makes such a difference, with a quality feel with up to date hand tools - began using Dads hand-me-downs, which have done me proud, but when i get a good job on-the-go i like to treat myself, bahco and monument are great - stanley and draper are spares /seconds - keep collecting them!! moore

will look on ebay too -- thanks mr lennie

Last edited by a moderator:
Buy from a recognised firm or even your tutor will have info if you are on a training course. I've picked up the top stuff for a decent price by going through the college. Make the course better for you by making sure you get good equipment and they should be very competative with price.

Are you looking where to buy tools or what tools to buy first?

I've been given some hand me downs from my old man and my lecturer went through a list of advisable tools to get. just wondered where the professionals go to buy there stuff.

Afternoon all. wondered where you bought your tools from. Did a price comparison with Tool station and Screw Fix and TS was cheaper - but what about quality? I went for the cheapest products both had to offer.

What do you think TS, SF or even Wickes?
Hi csweet tell us..well if you want 18v battery opperated wickes are doing a discontinued 18v load like circular saw combi drill recipricating saw jig all each for around about ÂŁ20 each ok so hurry and ring em before it all runs out..act FAST!! good luck mate

And it would be best to ring the wickes head office in Northhamton and they'll direct you to a store who still have these items in stock like 18v battery charger batteries, combi, drill, jig, saws, and bits.. good luck and let us know what you think!!!

Last edited:
screwfix good tools

ebay too nice tools on there

Csweet..all I know is you want the best for your money..I'll keep you posted, But 'ang on',, just remembered.. try this one, and good luck!!!
They do a EL of a lotta DRAPER ok..;)

Pee..

I've been given some hand me downs from my old man and my lecturer went through a list of advisable tools to get. just wondered where the professionals go to buy there stuff.

Sorry..after the reply the other day forgot to send you the link mate!!

Bamford Trading

check out machine mart.

they don't have anywhere near the full range of gear a plumber needs but they do irwin/hilmor adjustables for 12quid (large) and 7quid (small) for some reason they don't do the medium ones.

they do pretty good stilson type wrenches for a few quid too.

KJ

All I can say, is that usually, cheap tools let you down sooner than good ones. It may sound a bit odd to you, but you get accustomed to how tools work and the tools adapt to the way you use them.

If you use a large hacksaw you usually find it cuts in a specific way, so you compensate for any off line movement by biasing the pressure you apply as you cut. Eventually the tool wears and biases to the way you use it.

The thing is, if your mate lends you his or her hacksaw you soon find it cuts all over the place as you have probably become accustomed to exerting pressure on the tool in a different way than your mate.

Try asking a "Chippie" if you can borrow his or her saw? Usually you get a big NO!!!!! for the same reason.

It doesn't only apply to saws either it applies to nearly all tools.

So its better to buy good quality tools that you can use for ages, than to have to go through a new learning process every few weeks on tool replacements.

There's someone on Ebay does a good deal on sets of Britool adjustables. THey are the dogs danglies and one of the best buys I have made on tools.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Where to buy tools from in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock