Search the forum,

Discuss Where does the plumbing stop and the gas engineering start??? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

Aqua Mechanica

Just a quick question, all in the title really.

Obviously as a plumber, I can install all the rads and flow & return pipework for a heating system bt how near to the boiler can I actually get? Am I right in saying the only things I'm not allowed to touch are the gas pipe and the boiler itself?

After all, I did a combi jig at college all those years ago?

(For the record, I'd do the gas but its so expensive and I have no one to work or train with. I've actually decided to do an Honours Degree in Building Services Engineering [Mechanical] instead as it's far easier to achieve!!!)

But honestly, where does the Plumber stop and the Gas Technician start?

Cheers

Ben Wood
Bexleyheath Plumber

Dont touch the flue or the gas pipe, and every thing will be cushty

good on you for doing the Honours degree, did you have previous quals?

Dont touch the flue or the gas pipe, and every thing will be cushty

as above the only thing you cant do is fit the flue and connect gas pipe to meter or boiler.
you can run it to a foot from either but as long as you don't connect it up

as above the only thing you cant do is fit the flue and connect gas pipe to meter or boiler.

your not suppose to run the gas pipe let alone pipe it up, big push from GSR on this. its to stop plumbers doing everything and then paying someone to do the final connection and commission, not allowed

sorry plumbster you need to enlighten us where the one foot rule comes from, it is a total no-no, splitting hairs as we like to do on here, can a plumber run a 22mm copper pipe without connecting it to the gas supply, as until it is connected it isnt a gas pipe is it? then after it is connected (by a gas engineer) he has turned it into a gas pipe, however the problem with that is the gas engineer has to then commission a pipe he hasnt fitted or checked as fitted properly, it breaks the gas regs to connect a gas supply to a pipe without confirming it is fitted as per the gas regs, so the gas engineer has broken the regs, technically the plumber hasnt broken the regs as he simply fitted a spare pipe along side his flow and return, but it is fairly obviuos what it is going to be used for, but i dont have a prob with plumbers doing this, fair play to them for getting a fud to connect it for them and take the rap for the whole install when it all goes pete tong

been out to a few bg installs where they have used an old flow or return pipe as the gas supply to a new boiler just for convenience.:-(

Hmm!

True enough there are many anomalies in gas work. For instance if you do a gas check your basically saying the installation is okay?

But if the pipework is in the floor or under laminate flooring where you can't inspect it, all your really saying is that it passes the standard drop test.

You can of course pipe up the water right to the boiler jig, but not hang the boiler as its usually part of the gas train. The flue system is classed as part of the gas train.

But never mind electricity should take over from gas soon and although its perhaps just as dangerous anybody can install it and then call the council out to inspect it for a fee. Which is how it should be.

sorry plumbster you need to enlighten us where the one foot rule comes from, it is a total no-no, splitting hairs as we like to do on here, can a plumber run a 22mm copper pipe without connecting it to the gas supply, as until it is connected it isnt a gas pipe is it? then after it is connected (by a gas engineer) he has turned it into a gas pipe, however the problem with that is the gas engineer has to then commission a pipe he hasnt fitted or checked as fitted properly, it breaks the gas regs to connect a gas supply to a pipe without confirming it is fitted as per the gas regs, so the gas engineer has broken the regs, technically the plumber hasnt broken the regs as he simply fitted a spare pipe along side his flow and return, but it is fairly obviuos what it is going to be used for, but i dont have a prob with plumbers doing this, fair play to them for getting a fud to connect it for them and take the rap for the whole install when it all goes pete tong

forget the one foot bit (one inch or one metre it makes no difference) there is no law or regulation against a plumber or heating engineer who are not gas safe registered running a 22mm pipe and soldering it etc until near the boiler / meter trust me who ever says otherwise is wrong.
And also why cant a non gas safe registered plumber not hang the boiler and jig this is news to me.
whoever is commissioning will check everything like hanging of boiler is done right.
I hope whoever says otherwise can refer me to a regulation that says different than what I think.

oh noooo not another pantomine performance. See the regs re work on gas related items, who can work on what and youll find that you are not allowed to be paid for working on gas pipework ,flues etc if your not gas registered, if you dont believe us call up gas safe for their opinion, tell them what youve been doing and await a response, then let us all know the outcome.

if your employed or self employed and not gas safe reistered you cannot work on gas. just coz the pipe hasnt made it to the boiler yet doesnt mean it isnt a gas pipe does it!!! GSR are hot on this to stop this bluff, and i for one agree with it

I've just finished the 6129 and this was hot topic on the heating week... We were told that we can hang the jig and drill the flue hole (both of which I didn't think we were allowed too do, so I questioned it hard) and connect up the wet side. Then Nice Mr gas man comes and connects flue/boiler/gas and commissions. (for ÂŁ500 last time I had to do it)

I've just finished the 6129 and this was hot topic on the heating week... We were told that we can hang the jig and drill the flue hole (both of which I didn't think we were allowed too do, so I questioned it hard) and connect up the wet side. Then Nice Mr gas man comes and connects flue/boiler/gas and commissions. (for ÂŁ500 last time I had to do it)

now i am being accused of being nice,thats it i am taking black cat gases advice i am off for a strongbow and i dont even like cider LOL

oh noooo not another pantomine performance. See the regs re work on gas related items, who can work on what and youll find that you are not allowed to be paid for working on gas pipework ,flues etc if your not gas registered, if you dont believe us call up gas safe for their opinion, tell them what youve been doing and await a response, then let us all know the outcome.

I am gas safe registered so I am doing nothing wrong just so you know however that does not mean I cant ask one of the plumbers I work alongside to run a 22 mm pipe along side the other pipes he is doing does it?
or I cant ask him to hang the boiler if for instance i am doing a gas test or running a gas pipe does it?
people have got some strange ideas about what can and cant be done.
does gas safe registration make you a god ? no it doesnt

I agree with you Gas Man. The Gas Safety (installation & use) regulations refer to gas work and gas fittings. If you even hang the boiler bracket on the wall this is part of the gas work. Just put the rad's and water pipework in but don't touch the boiler. You can take the front off a boiler, as long as you do not expose a gas way (Combustion chamber).

I am gas safe registered so I am doing nothing wrong just so you know however that does not mean I cant ask one of the plumbers I work alongside to run a 22 mm pipe along side the other pipes he is doing does it?
or I cant ask him to hang the boiler if for instance i am doing a gas test or running a gas pipe does it?
people have got some strange ideas about what can and cant be done.
does gas safe registration make you a god ? no it doesnt

you are right it doesnt make me God, however if you want me to come along and sign for your work i MUST confirm it is right, the only way i can confirm it is to do it myself, sorry if that seems arrogant, if you have fitted the jig and boiler how do i KNOW it is done properly and wont fall off the wall and cause a major gas leak, re the gas pipe, as i said the gas enginner CANNOT connect a pipe to gas unless he CONFIRMS it is safe to do so, a TT will not confirm this, it needs to be a visual inspection on every joint, which i would do as i fitted the pipe, but cannot do if you have the first fix in and the floors down, so how am i to CONFIRM it is safe and comply with the regs if you have done the pipe before i got there, of course a plumber and gas engineer working together on a heating install has one guy starting upstairs and one downstairs and they meet in the middle but that is the gas guys choice and is still technically wrong for the reasons i gave above
i aint getting into the DIY can i cant i debate, i assume you mean who can do what legally for gain as a two man team or a plumber doing first fix, and as i have said, the jig, boiler, gas pipe and flue are a no-no, if you think i'm wrong contact Gas Safe and tell them you have done these items and you want written confirmation what you have done will allow a gas guy to connect and confirm safety and conformity with the regs

forget the one foot bit (one inch or one metre it makes no difference) there is no law or regulation against a plumber or heating engineer who are not gas safe registered running a 22mm pipe and soldering it etc until near the boiler / meter trust me who ever says otherwise is wrong.
And also why cant a non gas safe registered plumber not hang the boiler and jig this is news to me.
whoever is commissioning will check everything like hanging of boiler is done right.
I hope whoever says otherwise can refer me to a regulation that says different than what I think.

i'm sure this is what i said, however i also said the gas guy is contravening the regs by connecting this newly fitted empty pipe to a gas supply,

I give up if this is the case lol. I have seen people become gas safe registered in less than 6 months with no plumbing experience I know which one of the two I would trust on one of my jobs
1/ plumber 2/fast track gas engineer =plumber hands down
obviously not the actual gas work itself but the soldering of pipes etc

When you are doing additions to a system and say 50% of the pipe work is inaccessible then how can you check the installation is up to standard.

a tightness test

remember 'reasonably practicable' you can only be expected to go as far as reasonably practicable

Does this discussion not just highlight the complexity of the detail in the regulations? The regs state that a competent person can work on gas, why does it not just state that to be classed as competent you must be a registered gas engineer.

I stand by what I sais previous. If you touch or install any thing that is intended to be a gas fitting then you are required to be registered. One opt out is; you supervise the work directly IE: you stand by and watch the work being carried out.

a tightness test

remember 'reasonably practicable' you can only be expected to go as far as reasonably practicable

If you look at tech bulletin 014 it states that to check on work completed by a non registered person you would be expected to expose pipework if it is buried in concrete screed,, lift floorboards, climb through roofspaces etc,so its a lot more than a cursory check and more than what most customers would call reasonably practicable, especially if you''re whipping up their newly tiled floor.

It also mentions (to my chagrin as fuzzy will be chewing my bum) "No person shalllcarryout anywork in relation to a gas fitting unless they are competent to do so" and "the HSE defines competence as a combination of both training and experience.Therefore anyone who does work ona gas fitting must be competent to do so, whether or not they are required to register with gas safe register"

It seems to me the HSE doesnt know who or what it wants doing as far as defining who may work with gas fittings based on its own definitions. One day it may actually define once and for all who is allowed to do what in what circumstances!, clearly

Last edited by a moderator:
Does this discussion not just highlight the complexity of the detail in the regulations? The regs state that a competent person can work on gas, why does it not just state that to be classed as competent you must be a registered gas engineer.

because a homeowner can still legally work on his own gas supply if 'competent' and by that its if its deemed safe and by that its if it doesn't blow up. No testing, no paperwork, BUT if it goes wrong, your in jail.

the gas safe is only if your working on property's not being your own or employed to do it.

that said, when you come to sell the place, your still have to get a certificate, and good luck to most diy homeowners getting that!

actually, thinking about it - its rather remiss that the law changed that you can't do your own electrics in your own home, but you can still do gas... least with electrics you dont generally blow the street up!

about time they brought the gas up to date too.

Not quite. Looking at two different things. Gas work is under requirements of Gas Safety (installation & use) Regulations Which require competance. Electrical is under the Electricity at work Act which require sufficient knowledge and skill so as to prevent danger bla bla bla... ie competance.

There is no requirement for you to be registered, with say NICICE NAPIT ect to carryout electrical work. The problem is, if you are not registered, how done you achieve building regulation certification, under part P, for the fused spur I put in for my new boiler in the kitchen? The only way I could do this is contact building control at the local authority with all of the necessary test certificates, pay them their fee and hope they sign the work off.

There are loads of properties out there, which have not had the building regs work certificated and signed off. I was buying a property in the summer, only to find the oil boiler, installed last year had no building regs Part L. The New consumer unit had No Part P. The vendor tried to fob me off with the test certificates. I threw them back and told them to find the proper building regs certificates. Further to this we found they had converted the grade 2 star listed hay loft in the coach store in to a studio, with no planning at all. Consequently found out, they had applied for planning and been refused, but carried out the work regardless. Result. Propert fell through on breach of planning.

If you look at tech bulletin 014 it states that to check on work completed by a non registered person you would be expected to expose pipework if it is buried in concrete screed,, lift floorboards, climb through roofspaces etc,so its a lot more than a cursory check and more than what most customers would call reasonably practicable, especially if you''re whipping up their newly tiled floor.

It also mentions (to my chagrin as fuzzy will be chewing my bum) "No person shalllcarryout anywork in relation to a gas fitting unless they are competent to do so" and "the HSE defines competence as a combination of both training and experience.Therefore anyone who does work ona gas fitting must be competent to do so, whether or not they are required to register with gas safe register"

It seems to me the HSE doesnt know who or what it wants doing as far as defining who may work with gas fittings based on its own definitions. One day it may actually define once and for all who is allowed to do what in what circumstances!, clearly

I was thinking of an exsisting installation as opposed to work by non qualified, so would agree with you there.

can i confirm that i have no intention of chewing oldplumbers a*se

actually, thinking about it - its rather remiss that the law changed that you can't do your own electrics in your own home, but you can still do gas... least with electrics you dont generally blow the street up!

about time they brought the gas up to date too.

you cannot do gas in your own home unless you are competent

you cannot do gas in your own home unless you are competent

Thats correct, and the definition 'at the moment' of deciding that is based on if there are any problems after or not. Not based on qualifications/gas safe/building regs..

Totally wrong as far as I'm concerned.

Everyone would tend to agree. There are people doing gas work in their homes without any regulation and they may face the consequence if it goes wrong. As trades people though, we do the bulk of the gas work and therfore have to accept the regulations involved. Its the old thing about civil rights and freedom, no such thing as a perfect world. To give you an example: I am fully qualified competent gas fitter but work in management of a business and do not work on the tools and have no registration. My boiler breaks down so I replace it. I am not registered but totaly qualified and competent to do so. Change the regulations and say no one can do the work unless your registered with GSR (Gas Safe Register). I still have a problem though because I can not certificate the work for Part L compliance unless I register with a cometent person scheme or go directly to building control; who are unlikely to sign off the work unless I am registered with GSR. Thought I would throw that one in. What do you think? PS: I know that almost all DIY work is done by people not competent. At least the part L makes it more difficult. Trouble is this Part L certification seems a little weak when it comes to enforcing and it does not necessarily directly involve gas work.

Thats correct, and the definition 'at the moment' of deciding that is based on if there are any problems after or not. Not based on qualifications/gas safe/building regs..

Totally wrong as far as I'm concerned.

No we've been over this recently, the definition of competent isnt 'if something goes wrong afterwards' as many would have you believe, its KUTE, Knowledge, Understanding, Training and Experience

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Where does the plumbing stop and the gas engineering start??? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock