Search the forum,

Discuss When to use PTFE or jointing compound? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
E

edwardk

Yeah basic question - am a newbie / diy-er...

I have PTFE tape and jointing compound (BOSS Super green pipe jointing compound with PTFE).

I have some radiators to fit up in my house and a pressure reducing valve to fit.

I was looking at the PRV (Caleffi 533841 with a pressure reading dial on it) and was wondering if I should use tape or jointing compound on the join where the dial fits into the main fitting?

Also for the compression fittings to the copper pipe do you normally wrap tape around the olive or add jointing compound to the threads?
I'm guessing tape but how many wraps ? 5 or 10 or more ?

For the radiator fittings (TRV's) I was thinking tape on the olives for the compression fittings and jointing compound on the main thread into the actual radiator.

Is this right?
Thanks
Ed

Me personally would go as follows:-

Pressure gauge threads about 10 wraps of ptfe, smear of paste and in it goes.

Radiator tails same as above.

Compression olives paste only.

But you'll get many a different opinion and the good thing is none of them will be wrong.

There was a recent thread on the very subject.

Good luck.

Rad tails 15-20 turns ptfe
Olives no tape just paste
PRV dial just tape 10 turns
That's the way I do it
As Simon says most have there own way to do it
Best of luck just don't make it look like your tubes

Thanks,
Have done that and turned the water on - got a few drips at some joins...

Mostly on the pressure reducer valve. I used tape on the small dial and that isn't leaking but on the main compression joins in and out they are leaking a bit.

They are 22mm ones.

I put on a smear of paste and tightened them up, but now I get a steady drip from the top join.

Is this a case of too little paste or too much? Or not tight enough.

I've given it some welly on the spanner but don't want to give it too much.

Same problem for a flexible loo connector - it's leaking on the copper comression join (I did this before I knew about paste... learning curve :) )

Can you re-do them once they are wet (ie turn off the stopcock and then drain off the water dry it off a bit and have another go).
Thanks
Ed

you can also overtighten compression fittings, take it apart and wrap some tape around it then put a smear of paste on also.

you may have already overtightened them already, if this is the case you may see that the compression ring has deformed the pipework slightly, I would advise wrapping alot of tape and paste around it if this is the case and trying it again.

What I do is tighten up the fitting, disconnect again and check it is tightened properly and then smear some paste onto it.

Last edited:
Cool - thanks alot - all fixed now.

For the PRValve I undid it and put on about 5 wraps of tape and then some paste - tightened it up again and then put the mains back on to 3 bar and no drips ! Yay! Thanks.

For the flexi under loo connector I undid it and the olive wasn't even gripping the copper pipe. Dried it off, put some paste on and then did it up properly - no drips.

Haven't had 'live' water in the house for about 4 years and it's making me nervous :) (but in a good way - the end of the tunnel is in sight at last :) )

Thanks for answering these very basic questions.

Ed
(Captain, Skipper & Crew)

you do get some terrible paste, the one I use is Jet Blue from Plumb Centre. When my old company were trying to save money they got cheaper stuff and got cheaper paste, was awful stuff can't remember the name of it but it wouldnt even stick to the pipe !!

V2 for me cus the tubs the right size to fit in my tool box! ;)

that white stuff with a yellow lid same as jet blue,boss green is poo

I find some rad tails are really loose in the rads even with 20+ wraps of ptfe so I end up going old school - Boss white & hemp. Never has a leak using that stuff!:sifone:

I was taught PTFE tape on threads i.e. rad tails & jointing compound on olives on existing compression joints when cracking open & then refitting but its what works best for you. I find ptfe tape on compression fittings looks unprofessional while excess jointing paste can be wiped off when joint has been made. Jet-lube is a little expensive but is worth the peace of mind.

I'm with Bartdude throw the green in the bin I think It's s**t stuff, I prefer jet blue!!

leelister6 stole my thunder so i'll say......
Nothing on olives.
I wonder if he wrapped the ptfe around the right way:biggrin5:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to When to use PTFE or jointing compound? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock