Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Checkout our Plumbers Insurance area - heavily discounted Public Liability Insurance and Van Insurance specifically designed for plumbers.

Discuss When replacing silicone.. in the Bathrooms, Showers and Wetrooms area at UKPlumbersForums.co.uk.

1. mutley racers

mutley racers Plumber GSR

In a shower, do you remove the shower screen and then silicone tray or do you just replace what you can get at a in situ

2. Harvest Fields

Harvest Fields Trusted Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

Depends if it is leaking or not

3. ShaunCorbs

ShaunCorbs S. Mod Trusted Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

Just re doing the silicon no I wouldn't

• Like Like x 1
  4. king of pipes

king of pipes Trusted Plumber GSR

No not if redoing it but i would remove as much old silicone as physically possible and clean up before applying good a sanitary silicone . kop

• Like Like x 1
  5. Matchless.plumb

Matchless.plumb Trusted Plumber GSR

I usually remove all silicone especially the important points. You could use a hair dryer to dry the gap and then apply new silicone with with a former. But as above if you have leaks which requires a new install or removal of screen then perhaps I would install new stuff rather then playing with old screens.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. armyash

armyash Plumber GSR

If leaking I recommend removing the screen but normally find customers don't like paying the labour involved as they seem to think a reseal around the tray will do. If they just want the tray resealed I tell them I can't guarantee it's problem solved as I come across plenty of screens that have been fitted with out sealing behind the rails. If they get funny I recommend finding someone else.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Harvest Fields

Harvest Fields Trusted Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

I have removed a few screen in my time and only a handful had been installed correctly. I do not know how people get away with it.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. armyash

armyash Plumber GSR

I wouldn't get away with it, I'd be found out first time the shower was used. Some people are just lucky. :D

• Funny Funny x 1
  9. YorkshireDave

YorkshireDave Plumber

Having done too many to count, and learned a few lessons along the way, my method is thus:
    - remove old silicone UTTERLY (I use a razor sharp wood chisel)
    - remove ALL loose grout
    - make sure you get a good gap under the tiles
    - hoover out properly
    - leave to dry THREE days
    - Return
    - chemically clean tray surface, tiles surface and gap to be filled with IPA (Isopropyl Alcohol not Indian Pale Ale :eek:)
    - fill

TBH if tile grout joints are cracked it's all an utter waste of time. Although those gaps are tiny, when you add up the linear metreage of 'em it adds up to a sizable hole so not worth doing/getting involved with.

My experience with that type is they always assume you're taking the **** so it's lost anyway.

BTW my former for smoothing the silicone are my credit cards. Just had to replace my drivers license as it gave up the ghost. Three corners were all trimmed to diff shapes :D

• Like Like x 1
  10. AWheating

AWheating Trusted Plumber GSR

It all depends what customer wants to spend. It could be a full day's work to remove cubical, clean and re seal. Obviously if it's really wet behind old mastic it needs time to dry up.

Normally like to only use mapei sealant which bumps cost again.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Matchless.plumb

Matchless.plumb Trusted Plumber GSR

3 days no shower :) ? With one bathroom quite impossible:)

12. SimonG

SimonG Trusted Plumber

If it's for cosmetic reasons then it's silicone off and replace. If it's for an issue then it's screen out and go from there.

Pain in the ar$e jobs, but priced accordingly.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. YorkshireDave

YorkshireDave Plumber

Apologies Matchless. I simply hadn't realised you knew my customers and their habits so intimately... You must be more forward in reminding me o_O

Just to improve your knowledge even further, and can now sleep nights through feeling MY guilt, in the last twenty years not ONE person has ever baulked at having the job done properly. Not once in the last twenty years have I ever had to revisit either. Obviously this entirely down to lady luck :D

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  14. scott_d

scott_d Plumber GSR

Is there a reason you like Mapei?

15. ShaunCorbs

ShaunCorbs S. Mod Trusted Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

Colour match to grouting

• Like Like x 1