Search the forum,

Discuss When is a room air vent for flame effect gas fire really needed (with BS) in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

PB108

[FONT=&quot]Some history is that one gas engineer ([/FONT]who checked safety after fitting of a new gas meter) in the past said I had to have an air vent fitted in the lounge as gas fire required it, but then another engineer (British Gas) said if it is 7½ bar & below this is not necessary, so blocked the said up again as it just obviously lets cold outside air in.

However another gas engineer doing a 1st annual safety check today, before letting out that old house, failed it as I had blocked up said air vent; he was willing to un-fail it if I could quote for the flame effect gas fire manual states that it doesn't require a nearby air vent or proof of the British Standard bar rate stating similar.

What is the exact legal requirement and quote of the Gas Safe standards anyone please? (not hearsay)

British gas were wrong and the two gsr's are correct. This is not hearsay and all you need to know.

Manufacturers instructions are always ( if available ) taken as the correct installation method.

There has been confusion occasionally in the past between what is known as a DFE ( Decorative fuel effect) gas fire and an ILFE ( Inset Live Fuel Effect ) gas fire.

Unless the manufacturers instructions say otherwise a DFE normally needs ventilation, (even if it was 7KW or less). This was due to them being installed in a similar method to an open fire ( solid fuel). The flue/chimney is fully open on these with little or no restriction and therefore the volume of air from the room, which is taken up the flue along with the products of combustion is a lot greater than it is with an ILFE.

Do you know which type yours is ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to When is a room air vent for flame effect gas fire really needed (with BS) in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock