Search the forum,

Discuss Whats your opinion on core drills? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
I bought one from bes for about £100. At the time i was going to buy a marcrist shroud thing (i've got a marchrist gun) that was about half that but got the hoover attachment instead. You still get a wee bit dust but it is fine.

have to get a dust extractor it does make a right mess coring especially red brick,i always wear a ffp2 mask as well the dust can knacker your lungs and cause silicosis which is often fatal

I have been thinking about investing in a good core drill for when I start doing boilers and fires.
Am I right in thinking a safety clutch is essential? And also, I noticed many are only rated up to quite a low diameter for diamond core masonry.

What sort of diameter would a typical flue be?

Thanks.

A clutch is essential for bigger cores. If it jambs it will break your fingers ......if you are lucky.
107mm fits flues but leaves little room for manouver.
117mm is fine as is 127mm.

Try using an 9" angle grinder for smaller cores. Very fast. Just keep a good hold of it as there is no clutch.

Percussion core drills can sometimes make a mess of the opposite side of the hole when you break through. Diamond core drills make a neater and quieter job

Just wish those damn taper pilot drills would stay in, I've lost all mine down cavitys and its no fun trying the start off the hole with no pilot - if fact near impossible!

You are supposed to remove them once the core has bit in about a half inch.
Learn to use it without one. It is easy.

You are supposed to remove them once the core has bit in about a half inch.
Learn to use it without one. It is easy.

I know that now I lost them early days.

Whats the trick to a pilotless hole? Just start slow speed?

Don't start hole without the pilot drill, then remove it when you have just cut core in as little as 1/4". I wonder if a jig of some type would be a good idea to stop core moving about? Wouldn't need a pilot drill then.

Whats the trick to a pilotless hole? Just start slow speed?

Drilling at normal speed, start at an angle and square it up as it bites. It is easy enough to get perfect accuracy after you get used to doing it.
Then again i've been doing it that way every other day for about 10 years so it should be easy.

have got me self a Hilti breaker last summer as some of the work I was doing the wall were 500-700mm engineering bricks ,few pilot holes and the chisel it away !
Normal brick wall I just use a 5" which gives me a room to play and adjust the flue to correct angle ( my 4" core has lost 3 toot's so no good any more ) the 5" one I got it for free with my drill .Using 4" is much quicker and yes ear defenders every time for me

Regarding the drilling without a pilot guide, when I bought a set of diamond tile cutting bits from Topps I was sold a water feed bottle and a guide which sucks to the tile with a suction cup and it quite literally 'sucks'.

Waste of money and the water feed bottle, its far easier to do what Tamz said and bite one edge in to start you off and in this case drip water on from a cloth.

speaking of diamond drilling ,i did get the hilti product ! fantastic kit ! go to there web and see for your self!
it is expansive but it will last long time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Whats your opinion on core drills? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

What are engineers opinion on Intergas, I've installed a couple of these boilers for people and so far I've been impressed with them. They are a bit clunky and heavy but for the kW you get a lot of hot water and they appear to be pretty reliable. Just want to know what other engineers think of...
Replies
Views
Hello guys, an easy one: I recently had to drill through two outside walls to run 15mm pipes for a shower and sink. The holes are neat enough but need to be closed off to prevent draughts. Can I use expanding foam to block them? I wouldn't do this with central heating pipes, but the shower and...
Replies
Views
Could do with some advice, might be fitting some radiators for a family friend. I've done loads of freebies for friends and family and still currently in my apprenticeship, theres five radiators in total, i haven't looked at the job as of yet so not sure whether pipework will need altering or...
Replies
Views
Hi Folks, advice needed here... I am a 51 yr old leak detection engineer/plumber 2 years into self employment which i am loving. To get going I bought a 61 plate transit which has been great but is now off the road for a few weeks at least - which now that i am established and making decent...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I realised yesterday that I now have a massive leak coming from the where the pipe below the sink goes into the wall. Every time water is used (sink, washing machine, dishwasher), it leaks from the junction of the pipe / wall. You can see on the pictures that there is some gross...
Replies
Views
Deleted member 120897
D
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock