Search the forum,

Discuss Whats your opinion on core drills? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

mrlennie

Why the need? Is it just a speed thing or do you think the neatness accounts for anything?

Neatness firstly, as I have cored many a hole and the house is less than dust free some bricks will leave the house needing a complete wash down. I have been known to stitch and hammer out holes but prefer to core them.

neatness really, stitch and hammer is sometimes alot faster tho. depending on the size of your hammer of course :)

nothing worse tho to see a big blob of compo slaped around a flue or waste pipe because its been knocked out and bricks have splatted.

Neatness for me. But yes sometimes have to resort to the big hammer.

Using a core drill means you don't knock lumps of bricks into cavity or chippings flying everywhere. Often is much faster than cutting by hand or electric hammer & trying to cement it up again. Also handy for drilling from inside to outside, where the hole is very high up - need to watch all clear below though! :uhoh2:

Diamond core drills are much faster (if you use the right gear) and neater than any other method with minimum making good. Hook it onto a vacuum and there is very little dust (solid cores without slots).
Cheap core bits are a waste of money and time.

goto agree about that tamz, i normally buy marcrist. Hilti bits are the dogs but just to expensive.

as tamz says quality and falling off lorries is the key with good core bits,the apprentice had to cut through a stone wall 4 foot thick earlier,the 30 year old kango eat it no core would cope here,mind i think the boys a bit cooked now

Neatness firstly, as I have cored many a hole and the house is less than dust free some bricks will leave the house needing a complete wash down. I have been known to stitch and hammer out holes but prefer to core them.
Core from outside in, use long arbor. all the dust will go outside.

I always used to stitch drill till i bought a core set up, thought core was ace at first then one of coredrills wore down so i had to stitch again. After this i'd never use a core again!
Theyre just a complete pain in the bum. Slow, heavy, dust hell and expensive.

Yes they give a nice neat hole, but if its 100mm flue then its easier and so much quicker to stitch as the pipe ring covers the hole. If the flue only has one ring (tight asss baxi or main) then i use the old core in me battery drill just to cut a nice hole in the plaster.

For inch an half or inch an a quarter i use tct on sds, obviously from inside, then from outside.

This is what i meant in saying that the house needs cleaning, after core drilling up a ladder with very sandy style bricks the complete outside of the house needs washing down then, plus the cars, neighbours house and cars, everything. Granted not all bricks do this but some do.

Hmm I see the advantages and disadvantages thanks guys very helpful

I have spent over a grand on drills (1600 W boshe) and bits. The bosche purchase was led by local merchant rep, when I told of problem of drills burning out - this drill cost about £750 with VAT, but turned out to be a waste of time - it was so big that it was really one that required bolting to wall. It broke down, but after about two years I complained that it was unusuable - Bosche gave me a smaller drill, which is probably about £200 and its done the job since.

However, I stitch drill most of time, because I really don't think that core drills save you that much time, they are dangerous to use on ladders, and the bits don't last five minutes if your drilling in hard brick. My big drill had dust extraction connection which I connected to my Henry - not much difference.

Conclusion - Core drills ok if smaller, and for holes up to 50mm

Last edited:
If you want a neat hole then core is a must, I reckon I get about 70 holes per core bit (5"). My Makita core drill cost me about £200, that was approx 8 years back and still as good as new.

No a neat hole is not a must for some, I do try and do a neat job, if you stitch and hammer out a hole and a brick breaks etc, then you end up patching and making a mess.
But obviously sometimes neatness is not needed. But a good core drill and bit and I dont see much difference in speed to drill and hammer.
So its what you like and see best for you, no wrong or right answer only opinions.

£ 200 for a core drill !! Wants to last for 700 holes drilled,I think I paid about £40.00 for my last one a few years back,still going strong ,mind you couple of the good things about London area,old brickwork is really soft/easy to cut through and floor boards are not tough and grooved.so easy to get up,can imagine if cutting through tough walls in the north more,would not last as well

With the flue systems we have now,heights and the tight spaces we have to work in ,think even if I wanted to,would not be able to knock holes through wall by hand on about 15% to 20% of flues I put in

A core drill must pay for itself in time saved making hole and the making good

imho

the amount of time a core drill saves you, more than makes them worth there while and money.

some of the stone up here is rock hard , old tenements with 27" thick walls .
sometimes worthwhile paying £50-60 to have it cored in 15mins by the pros rather than spend a couple of hours toiling through it myself. the pro cans are longer so require less stop-starting to remove cores and , and add extensions . they also seem to cut much faster wet or dry than the standard depth cans.watched them tapping and filing the tips when the core stopped cutting through the stone as quick, they said it was to re-expose the diamond edge, seemed to work anyway.

I have a 127mm core bit and it goes through most brick and stone no problems from the inside out, but the pain is with a soil branch for example there always needs to be a 110mm elbow half burried in the wall so you need to go up the ladder with an SDS chisel anyway.

Craigleith stone:crazy:

lol , was going to mention craigleith in last post tam, hard as a whoors hert . what do the boys in the the granite city use ? it s a place i v never been , plenty graft up there though , seems to be recession proof with all the oil money .

what do the boys in the the granite city use ? it s a place i v never been , plenty graft up there though , seems to be recession proof with all the oil money .

Was just talking to a mate in the pub yesterday about that as he was working up there for a while. 1st one he did they cored it their selves.....5hrs. After that they got a drilling guy in with the gun on the jig thing. Took him 25 minutes!

you ever used the place near falkirk that re-tips the cans Tam ?

you ever used the place near falkirk that re-tips the cans Tam ?
Is that the place down in Bonnybridge? I've heard they do some good stuff.
Never had one retipped (never really thought about it). I just buy a new one. Might do it with the next one.

we have a lot of houses in wales built from tondu brick from the ancient long closed foundry in tondu they have iron ore in them you just cant core them

thats the one tam, scot..... something, never had 1 retipped either, maybe only worth it for the longer cans the drillers use ? they were saying tips last them a lot longer if they re doing it wet .
all the subs to the board got an email from the place at bonnybrig offering discounts . was after a hoover attachment but theirs was too spendy to justify buying it. bg lads have the scot stuff issued , quite a good bayonet system for coupling the can and extensions, but again a bit too rich for me to change from 1/2" , pair off bahcos, a size 7 and the floor :)
can you mind how much you paid for tyour hoover attatchment ?

sounds just like like some off the stone here gm, craigleith sparkles with tiny silver grains that look like metal. waste of time trying to core it with the gear we carry. get the pros in or dig out the kango and hope the grain is going the right way.
the way the old 27" thick solid walls are constructed, the random rubble from cutting the stone got used in the middle, dressed face on the outside and rejects and or brick on the inside face. the grain of the rubble rans all ways. before cores, stitching and kangoing or mash and chisel you'd end up with a 4-5 inch opening on the inside and out, with a 12" casum in the middle and 2 bags full of rubble. they don t build them like they used to.
glad to be working out off town the now, all nice council houses with brick cavity walls. 10 mins to core the flue, and all on the ground floor, happy days :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Whats your opinion on core drills? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Morning to any Australians lurking around! Register its free, then message me, I'll sort your account out for you. We will need a moderator from each main country too. I'll post this in the Australian forum now.
Replies
Views
We have 2 brand new cordless, battery powered press tools in stock, and flying off the shelves. Our TekTools TZ1930 & TZ1550 are packed with advanced features - these cordless press tools are engineered for speed, precision, and ease of use across various applications. Just reply to this thread...
Replies
Views
My son has an apprenticeship interview for to become a plumber and heating engineer. The have said there will be a multiple choice exam for this for suitability. The thing is my son panics during tests/exams. Is there any book I can buy him to practice the multiple choice test for the exam? What...
Replies
Views
Fitted unvented hotwater cylinder building control looking forms signed it off job was in england i am qualified northern ireland send out a form to fill in what do u need to sign off in england as building control said they dont give out forms like they do in northern ireland
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock