Search the forum,

Discuss whats the best way clean a blocked plate heat exchanger in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

julesverne

After paying £105.00 for an ideal isar plate heat excanger to replace a blocked one. me thinks the blocked one i replaced to is too good to throw away. to be honest i dont thinl a cust would save that much money by me cleaning and unblocking it due to the labour cost but it does seem a shame to throw them away if they can be unblocked.

whats the best way to unblock and clean these. guy at the merchants said the best way is to use path cleaner only on the heating side (very important)

just wondered what everyone elses thoughts were on this.

there was a thread on here a while ago of somebody who got a cwst and connected it to heat exchange and had the other side go to a bucket, some how it went through slowly and cleaned the HE out.

Use a hose and reverse flow. Or leave it in a bucket full of descaling solution. Depends in what is blocking it

this particurlar one is iron oxide but was thinking in general terms. seems daft to throw these away after changing them when i can clean it afterwards at my leisure.

this particurlar one is iron oxide but was thinking in general terms. seems daft to throw these away after changing them when i can clean it afterwards at my leisure.

Hose pipe in reverse theb

Jules, £ 105 ???? I paid £ 60 +vat for mine !!! Nearly the same aswell if not the same. Sounds expensive. PTS. Just a point to be made :77:

spirt of salts for quick result

or soak over night in vinegar ,the one you have now ,do not let dry out before cleaning as makes a lot harder,poor water in it till you clean

Sprit of salts cleans them good , pour in , wait for fizz to stop , rinse out , I do this before I change them .

Jules, £ 105 ???? I paid £ 60 +vat for mine !!! Nearly the same aswell if not the same. Sounds expensive. PTS. Just a point to be made :77:

there are 2 plate exchangers for the isar depending on serial numbe one is £105 the other is £56.00 inc vat from my merchant i suspect you got the cheaper version that wasnt cheap from pts

jules, you are correct indeed. however I do live on the south coast where everything is more expensive anyway !!!!!

I usually beat the hell out of it on a flat wooded surface and put a mains hose on it , I have never had one fail this method as long as you are getting a good flow through it the heat transfer should be good , failing that spirits of salt does the trick very well

i soak it in pink acid, give it a shake, do it again then give it a good blast through with a hose

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to whats the best way clean a blocked plate heat exchanger in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock