Search the forum,

Discuss what type of Olive? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

sargan

For copper pipes .. most cast brass compression fittings come with brass olives.
Yet if you go to buy spares they seem to be copper olives.
Some brass olives are simple shaped others have a pressed in circumferential dimple.
Are there any rules as to which olive type should be used with which fitting.

Going to be moving several 28mm fittings due to changes, so want to replace olives with correct type.

I prefer copper olives, but for heating pipes - especially above 15mm I'll concede that brass olives are better.
Not keen on the ''circumferential dimple'' type olives as they're adding an unnecessary feature into the act of sealing the fitting. Just let the standard old plain brass olive do its job and chuck a bit of jointing paste at it for belt and braces.

copper olives all the way

Definitely copper on plastic pipe and for any permanent joint, but for joint where the olive could be reused such as 3 port valve I prefer brass. What I have experienced with some cheap fittings, ( service valves), the length of thread is insufficient to properly compress olive on pipe.

Definitely brass olives are the best on copper pipes, but I prefer them to be good quality and not too hard a brass, which is difficult to get nowadays. I use paste on all olives.
Reasons why brass is a bit better is because on heating or hot water pipes, the seal will fail slightly as copper olives are softer.
Also brass is better to redo the joint.
Conex or Kuterlite were excellent
Copper olives obviously needs to be used on plastic pipes.
I should add, heavy, hard copper olives that used to be common, were very good.

Last edited:
The copper olives seem.soft & flimsy in comparison to the brass ones. Thanks for comments ... And yes I do use jointing paste . .. Boss White.

The copper olives seem.soft & flimsy in comparison to the brass ones. Thanks for comments ... And yes I do use jointing paste . .. Boss White.

hahaha :) good on you

Jet blue from plumb centre is the best paste, can use on potable water also, boss white you can't.

I did a lot of googling around on that - very mixed reults some prefer Jet Blue others Boss white, agree fully that it can't be used on potable - I have Boss green for that.
My local merchants don't sell Jet Blue ... only Boss white (and a few others) that is why I use that.

I have used Fernox LSX in the past .... bit disconcerting to read description
"the treatment will last for approximately five years "

Wouldn't expect a joint paste to only be good for 5 years

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to what type of Olive? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock