Search the forum,

Discuss What qualifications do i need to become a plumber? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

Plummy Pete

Hello, new to to the forum... I am considering doing a Plumbing course with new career skills. The course lasts for 18-24 months and costs about 6k. You spend a total of 5 one week blocks in the workshop combined with home learning (theory) and at the end walk away with BPEC water supply reg qual, City & Guilds 6128 level 2 heat & vent tech cert, BPEC dom unvent hot water store systems and BPEC elec defined scope part P competence quali.

couple of questions.............

Anyone done this sort of course and is it worth it?

I live in Scotland and am not sure if these qualifications are more suited to the English employers. I heard that in Scotland it is better to have SVQ level 3 (gained after 4 years apprenticeship)? Anyone got any knowledge about this?

Cheers

Are you going self employed after this or are you going to look for a job?

If self employed you don't need qualifications (depending on what you're doing) but you do need to know things like the water regulations, etc. Bear in mind most of these courses are there to make money for the company providing the course. The punters (you!) are very much secondary, albeit customers, but once you've done the course they will want to lose you asap.

If you're going to look for a job after the course I'd look for a job first. If you qualify you'll have spent lots of your money and you won't find a job because you've spent the money. Lots of threads and posts on this forum and they all tell the same story - got these qualifications but need an NVQ before I can get a job but can't get a job so can't get an NVQ.

Sorry to be gloomy - best of luck though!!

offer to pay a time served plumber the 5 grand, to take you on part time for a year - you will learn a hell of a lot more doing this!

In fact if some of the guys approching me offered this I would be sorely tempted (and a lot more well off!)

Seriously reconsider doing this at this time - there is a good chance that these fast track course providers will be out of business in a year or 2 in my mind . . .

Thanks for the info. Anyone know if there is a trade that is more suited to these qualifications or do you need the NVQ for all trades?

the plumbing qual is for plumbers, the H&V qual is for H&V engineers, the 6128 is not a plumbing qual

As you live in Scotland you will need SVQ3 (plus experience) to be employable.

As you live in Scotland you will need SVQ3 (plus experience) to be employable.

i cant speak for scotland but down south the thing that makes you employable is experience,
when you phone for a job the 1st thing they ask is how long you been a plumber, then are you gas safe and lastly do you have your own van and tools

i did a 6129 but no employer has ever asked me about it, and to be honest what the qualification involved was pretty basic

are you on about the 6129 level 2? remember theres a level 3.
Level 2 is 'basic plumbing'

offer to pay a time served plumber the 5 grand, to take you on part time for a year - you will learn a hell of a lot more doing this!

In fact if some of the guys approching me offered this I would be sorely tempted (and a lot more well off!)

Seriously reconsider doing this at this time - there is a good chance that these fast track course providers will be out of business in a year or 2 in my mind . . .

Where abouts are you based?
Ive spent 2 years getting my levels 2 and 3 Technical certificates, unvented and water regs certificates, and have sent off for my CSCS JIB trainee card. Struggling to find an employer to take me on in order to complete my NVQ levels 2 and 3 and also build up my gas portfolio to be able to take my ACS Gas Accreditition. I would contemplate paying someone to take me on for a year or so in order to complete my qualifications and also gain vital experience. Im 26 and based in the Bradford/Leeds area. If you would be interested then let me know.
Cheers

there is a course in portsmouth, its more geared toward gas portfolios, but for a price they'll take you out on jobs

to be honest however i'm not sure if i would recommend paying, we all became plumbers to make money, paying someone to let us work defeats the object and for me the purpose of becoming a plumber

I dont know how these providers can keep going - particually with false advertising like 'there aren't enough plumbers' . . .

Even saw an ad on the tv last night - trade skill something or another.

Problem is I have mucho experience, and even troubleshoot problems on commercial properties and the like - my portfolio speaks for itself, and I cant get enough bloody work!

You have to have an entrepenerial streak a mile wide in this game!

and people still think theres loads of work! i think privae training providers must be telling them there is a lot of work and we only say this because we dont want anyone else joining our trade, a shame when they learn the hard way

i'm happy working part time! .........40k is more than enough for me :p

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to What qualifications do i need to become a plumber? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock